PDA

View Full Version : Dena's Various Strathmore Visual Journals

suruchi
09-14-2010, 05:11 PM
I had read a review of these journals on "Roz Wound Up" and ordered them as soon as they were available. I have the 3 1/2 X 5 size in the Mixed Media, the 90 lb watercolor and the 140 lb watercolor. I have the 5 X 8 in the Mixed Media. I love them all but I think I am most impressed with the Mixed Media. Instead of starting a thread for each one, I am going to post works from all of them on this one thread. These first two are studies for the Christmas cards I plan to paint for this year.

Dena

suruchi
09-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Next are a few things from photos.

suruchi
09-14-2010, 05:16 PM
A sketch from the Fort Worth Botanic Garden.

suruchi
09-14-2010, 05:18 PM
A little sketch from a photo taken on a trip to Colorado.

jacquip
09-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Dena these all look great. I love the robin for your christmas cards and the flowers. The landscapes are very nice. Love the sense of height with the one from Colorado. I look forward to watching for more.

suruchi
09-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks so much, Jacqui! I just got some kraft paper journals in today so I'll be starting a thread for those too.

virgo68
09-14-2010, 08:33 PM
You have been so busy and doing such a fantastic job - these are great. I really like the geraniums, the colours are lovely - one of my favourites in my garden but they are such fun to draw and paint (I think it is the great shapes?).

I was lucky enough to visit Colorado this year and fell in love with it, we want to come back to the US soon and see some more :)

JTMB
09-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Very nice, Dena! I especially like the House Finch. (I'm a serious birder and starting to do a lot of bird art, so it's hard to find a bird I don't like...:) !) The Colorado canyon is another one that is right up my alley. Glad you posted these as well as your first journal.

DrDebby
09-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the review on these journals. Your paintings are wonderful.

robertsloan2
09-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Dena, these are great! I love your card designs. That fluffed up finch is wonderful. Beautiful bird painting. Cool painting in the garden too. Colorado Canyon is gorgeous. Great lily and geranium studies too.

Looks like it's really good paper for watercolor sketching. Thanks for reviewing the journals. I haven't tried the Strathmore ones yet, partly because I have so many journals around that I haven't even filled yet. But if I get into this sketchbook a month habit and keep on with it, that may not be long before I'm trying new brands!

suruchi
09-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the nice feedback. :)

John, I really love all your bird sketches and keep up with them regularly. The bird is actually a common redpoll that was on a calendar. It does really look like a house finch to me since I have so many of those that come to the feeder outside my kitchen window.

Jackie, I love geraniums too but I didnít do any in the garden this year. Sometimes the Texas heat is just too much for them and they end up looking rather haggard by July.

Robert and Debby, the mixed media journal is so nice. This one is actually almost full, I just didnít post all the stinkers! :lol: I wish I could find that paper by the sheet. It takes whatever I throw at it. Roz says that the paper is only for those journals and that Strathmore is not making it in sheets. Bummer!!

suruchi
09-19-2010, 04:55 PM
This is a sketch from a photo from the San Francisco trip a few years ago. A pretty bridge in Golden Gate park.

DrDebby
09-19-2010, 06:10 PM
I think I recognize that bridge. Great painting.

robertsloan2
09-20-2010, 04:33 AM
I love that little bridge. Takes me right back. I've been there. The band of red-flowered bushes in the bottom border is perfect, that frames the bridge and leads the eye right back up to it. Gorgeous composition on this one.

Whisperwood
09-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Dena these are really nice! I love the little house finch! what type of paints do you use? I like the FWBG one too, go there a few times a year myself, in fact October is one of my favorite times when it starts to cool down a little and some of the gardens have been replanted with Fall "mums". Its such an inspirational place and I always come away from there with ideas for my own garden!
Looking forward to more...:-)

suruchi
09-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks, Debby and Robert. I guess that's a pretty well known bridge. We've had the framed photo of it in our home for several years. Such a nice reminder of a really great trip.

Thanks also to you, Rachel. Yes, the FWBG is a pretty inspiring place to visit. I especially love the fall when the maples in the Japanese Garden turn. Breathtaking! I hope I don't miss it this year. It's been so hot, I'm thinking that the color will be a bit later than normal. Last year, the color came and was almost gone overnight beacuse of high winds! Poo! Do you live far away?
Dena

Whisperwood
09-20-2010, 04:46 PM
I agree with the weather... I was hoping we'd get a little more rain to help with the colors but this heat is now getting boring LOL! Love the Japanese gardens.
I live in Bedford! :-)

suruchi
09-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Rachel, I just sent you a private message.