PDA

View Full Version : Dena's Large Moleskine Watercolor Folio

suruchi
09-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Hi Everyone, :wave:

It has taken me a while to work in my sketchbooks to the point that I felt comfortable posting some of the sketches. Funny that I am using these more than doing art on single pieces of paper! There is something freeing about the smaller size and the fact that these are sketches and experiments. So here are some things from my watercolor moleskine,
5 X 8. Enjoy!

Dena

suruchi
09-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Here are a couple more, one of my lunch and one of a couple books.

JTMB
09-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Hi Dena,

Welcome, and keep posting - these are very nice sketches! Nice modeling on the corn, and the spurs have good depth as well.

suruchi
09-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Spent time at the car dealership a couple recent days so these are from that time spent WAITING. :mad:

suruchi
09-14-2010, 06:02 PM
This is a quick sketch of the flower bed in my back yard while I waited for the dog to "do her thing". :rolleyes:

suruchi
09-14-2010, 06:04 PM
A sketch from a picture taken on a trip to San Francisco several years ago. This was in their Japanese Garden at Golden Gate Park.

jacquip
09-14-2010, 07:57 PM
More great work here Dena. I agree that the small size is freeing. I love my A5 sketchbooks for the same reason. Looks like you are being very productive, and having fun. Love the pen and ink corn cob. Very nice. The spurs have a great feel to them. Your garden sketches are great, love the pen and watercolour combos.

suruchi
09-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks! Looks like we are on at the same time today! LOL!!!

virgo68
09-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Hi Dena, these are great sketches :) I love the corn, maybe cos I love pen and ink stuff?! Having said that, the watercolour washes are really good and your sandwich for lunch is fun ;)

I agree, I think the smaller size and the fact it does not have to be "a finished piece" is quite liberating. Also I think having a sketchbook means I don't feel obligated to show everyone what I am doing - if my hubby and son see the desk set up for a larger work they are forever looking over my shoulder waiting for it to be finished! I find I am actually drawn to the loose free sketches just as much as I enjoy the photo-realist work - so I figure everything has it's place and perfection isn't everything - a HUGE leap for a Virgo to make :lol:

DrDebby
09-15-2010, 01:08 AM
These sketches are just awesome. I feel for your waiting time at the car dealership.

robertsloan2
09-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Dena, these are gorgeous. that pen and ink corn cob at the top is spectacular. All of them are beautiful. You choose a wide variety of subjects for your sketches. Love the Japanese garden painting, it makes me nostalgic for San Francisco. Cool painting of your lunch and the books too. Beautiful flower bed sketch, glad your dog took her time.

suruchi
09-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Thank you everyone.

Yes, Jackie, I find that I show very few of my sketches to anyone. Seems to further relieve the pressure for the work to be “good”. Some of the work is REALLY yucky! Thank goodness that I can see the progress in so many of the pieces though.

Yes, Robert, you and I have talked about SF before. One of my favorite places on this earth! Actually the corn cob is one of the first pieces that I did in pen and ink. I really to do love that medium. More often now I am making myself just do the drawing with the pen and not do so much preliminary pencil.

virgo68
09-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Yay! another pen and ink convert :) I have found the sketches with a biro have improved my observation skills and like to think they have generally improved. Still do some real clangers but that is all part of the learning process and allowing myself to make mistakes ;)