PDA

View Full Version : Sunset landscape trial with oil pastel

frodobaggins_2
11-03-2002, 03:31 PM
Hi, I am an absolute beginner at this. Here is my try at L. Diane Johnson demo of the sunset landscape.

I don't have any soft pastel. To be honest, I did not even know there was such a thing until this week when I visited this site. All I have is a 24 pack of Mungyo oil pastel. I thought the colours looked great when I bought them.

:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2002/shoreline.jpg

JustjoGA
11-03-2002, 03:32 PM
Sorry, Frodo... no picture. Did you use the uploader in the row of blue boxes above the message box?

KarenU
11-03-2002, 05:42 PM
Welcome to Wet Canvas!! Well that's just lovely frodobaggins_2! You say this is your first...wonderfully good job :D Did you use any turps to blend your colors? Beautiful sunset, great reflections in the water and a great sky!! I'll look forward to seeing more of your work.

frodobaggins_2
11-05-2002, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the comments! I have not used any turps. This was strictly, pastel over pastel.

I have noticed that it is easier to put dark over light. Putting light over dark is much more challenging. It looks like varying the pressure makes a difference too.

I am really enjoying this exploring of pastel. I will try out something else later this week.

Frodo

:)

CarlyHardy
11-05-2002, 10:37 AM
The colors in this are really bright and true...not muddied. I think you did a good job with the layering...and I know that with oil pastels it's not easy!

I think you could use a bit more rippling in the water for effect...the trees on the shore seem to be windblown....so the water would have more movement, especially in the foreground nearer you.

Hope you will be posting more! This is an excellent beginning!
carly

Blueyog
11-05-2002, 12:14 PM
Very beautiful ! The colors are very great !!!