PDA

View Full Version : Water Color Lion -Finished?


bbbilly1326
03-29-2001, 08:45 AM
Here's a lion I posted a few days ago, that I have developed more. It might be finished. What do you think?
I might post this elsewhere as well.
Done on 11X14 Mat paper
with Watercolor, pen and Purple and brown inks

<IMG SRC="http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2001/WC_LION_fini.jpg" border=0>

Bill

------------------
Bill
"Paintings are never finished, only abandoned" (source unknown)
index.html (http://hamiltoncarroll.homestead.com)

[This message has been edited by bbbilly1326 (edited March 29, 2001).]

tammy
03-29-2001, 03:16 PM
aha! You've added a background. Cool. I see not a jungle but mountains. In my head anyway! Are you still working on it? Love seeing the progress.

------------------
Don't worry, its gonna be all right....
Tammy's Home for Artists (http://tammy.artistnation.com)

tammy
03-29-2001, 03:24 PM
oh yeah, and you ask if its finished..I think it could be if you want. It would stand ok like that only if that's the look you want I think that I'd still like to see a slight impression of a background or something. Just something that indicates a middle ground.

------------------
Don't worry, its gonna be all right....
Tammy's Home for Artists (http://tammy.artistnation.com)

Barbara
03-30-2001, 04:53 AM
Billy
I really like the additional background! Now it looks like he has someplace to go! And it looks like he is gazing across the African plain to me. I like the lack of mountains or anything because I get the impression that he is on a bit of a rise and we cant see the slight valley plain that he is looking at. I also think the grasses camoflaged that back leg very nicely.
Great job!
Barb

bbbilly1326
03-30-2001, 09:01 AM
Tammy, thanks for the comments. That's actually only a sky, no mountains, but that's hard to see on the computer. Usually, I'm more apt to leave it as is, if nothing really hits me as to what more I should add.

Barb: Very sharp, I thought is was pretty clever of me to hide that leg (and the paws, which are not done well) with the grass. That's why it's hard for me to draw them, because the lions are always in grass that hides their lower legs! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
BTW, I like that suggestion that he's on a rise, so I don't need anything else.
Bill

------------------
Bill
"Paintings are never finished, only abandoned" (source unknown)
index.html (http://hamiltoncarroll.homestead.com)

[This message has been edited by bbbilly1326 (edited March 30, 2001).]

GC
03-30-2001, 01:59 PM
Beautiful. I am thinking about doing some wild life. This is very nice the idea for doing the lion from a different perspective.

If I wanted to be picky... I may like to see the mane more irregular to appear less groomed.

Ginette

Shirl
03-30-2001, 02:19 PM
Nice lion, Bill! He really has movement. Very good colors also.

In drawing horses, the hoof is very difficult sometimes, to make it look connected to the leg properly--soooooo, just draw grass!!

Shirl

bbbilly1326
03-31-2001, 02:41 AM
Thanks Ginette and Shirl for your input.

Ginette: I think the mane looks a little too manicured too, but I'm afraid if I put too much detail in it, the total visual flow will be interrupted. It's that fine line again between realism and a visually pleasing painting. I plan to do more with this view, I think (in human portaits, this is known as a "profil perdu" --"lost profile") and I've always admired it, because it allows you to do a figure without the considerable visual distraction of the facial features, to which the human eye is always drawn most strongly.

Shirl: I'm hoping to eventually learn better the drawing of the lower limbs, so I won't always have to use grass http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif.
Bill

------------------
Bill
"Paintings are never finished, only abandoned" (source unknown)
index.html (http://hamiltoncarroll.homestead.com)

GC
03-31-2001, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by bbbilly1326:
Thanks Ginette and Shirl for your input.

Ginette: I think the mane looks a little too manicured too, but I'm afraid if I put too much detail in it, the total visual flow will be interrupted. It's that fine line again between realism and a visually pleasing painting. I plan to do more with this view, I think (in human portaits, this is known as a "profil perdu" --"lost profile") and I've always admired it, because it allows you to do a figure without the considerable visual distraction of the facial features, to which the human eye is always drawn most strongly.



Ich versteh schon was Du meinst. Es sieht ja sehr gut aus wie es ist.
Greetings to Rheinland Pfalz!

Ginette

bbbilly1326
04-01-2001, 07:15 AM
Du sprichst sehr gut Deutsch! Hast du in Deutschland schon frueher gewohnt, oder bei der Universitaet gelernt?

Bill

------------------
Bill
"Paintings are never finished, only abandoned" (source unknown)
index.html (http://hamiltoncarroll.homestead.com)

GC
04-01-2001, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by bbbilly1326:
Du sprichst sehr gut Deutsch! Hast du in Deutschland schon frueher gewohnt, oder bei der Universitaet gelernt?

Bill


Deutch is meine erste Sprache, English is meine zweite and ich spreche auch ein bischen Franzoesich.

I lebe allerdings seit 13 Jahren in den USA.
Ich bin in Frankreich geboren und habe die Franzoesiche und Deutsche Staasbuergerschaften. Ich hatte hauptsaetzlich in Frankfurt gelebt.

Ich spreche sehr selten Deutsch, nur wenn ich mit meiner Mutter oder Familie spreche. Ich kenne niemanden hier der Deutch spricht.

I apologize to all the others here for speaking in a foreing language, but I just had to see if I still can.
Thanks for understanding.

Ginette

bbbilly1326
04-02-2001, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by GC:
Deutch is meine erste Sprache, English is meine zweite and ich spreche auch ein bischen Franzoesich.

I lebe allerdings seit 13 Jahren in den USA.
Ich bin in Frankreich geboren und habe die Franzoesiche und Deutsche Staasbuergerschaften. Ich hatte hauptsaetzlich in Frankfurt gelebt.

Ich spreche sehr selten Deutsch, nur wenn ich mit meiner Mutter oder Familie spreche. Ich kenne niemanden hier der Deutch spricht.

Ginette

Unglaublich, ja? Du lebst in America wo ich geboren bin, and ich lebe in Deutschland wo du geboren bist, und dann treffen wir hier.

Ich bin Amerikaner and lebe schon 11 Jahre in Deutschland-- fuenf Jahre in Nuernberg (sehr schoene Stadt, wie meine zweite Heim!), and die letzte 6 hier. Wahrscheinlich komme ich noch zurueck in noch 2 jahre, wenn ich hoffenlich Rentner werde http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bill

------------------
Bill
"Paintings are never finished, only abandoned" (source unknown)
index.html (http://hamiltoncarroll.homestead.com)

GC
04-02-2001, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by bbbilly1326:
Unglaublich, ja? Du lebst in America wo ich geboren bin, and ich lebe in Deutschland wo du geboren bist, und dann treffen wir hier.

Ich bin Amerikaner and lebe schon 11 Jahre in Deutschland-- fuenf Jahre in Nuernberg (sehr schoene Stadt, wie meine zweite Heim!), and die letzte 6 hier. Wahrscheinlich komme ich noch zurueck in noch 2 jahre, wenn ich hoffenlich Rentner werde http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bill


Das is ja wirklich unglaublich. Schmale Welt!
Wo in Rheinland Pfalz lebst Du jetzt?

I bin ja schon lange nicht in Deutschland gewesen. Ich war auch nich da geboren, ich bin in Frankreich geboren. Vater Franzose, Mutter Deutsche. Schones mischmasch!!!


Ginette

bbbilly1326
04-03-2001, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by GC:
Schmale Welt!
Wo in Rheinland Pfalz lebst Du jetzt?

Ginette


Jawohl, schmale Welt! Ich lebe jetzt in eine kleine Stadt heisst Kusel. Die steht ungefaehr 40 minute von der Grenze von Frankreich.

------------------
Bill
"Paintings are never finished, only abandoned" (source unknown)
index.html (http://hamiltoncarroll.homestead.com)

GC
04-03-2001, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by bbbilly1326:
Jawohl, schmale Welt! Ich lebe jetzt in eine kleine Stadt heisst Kusel. Die steht ungefaehr 40 minute von der Grenze von Frankreich.


Das is wo meine Mutter gewohnt hat, bis vor kurzem. Sie hat in der Trierer Strasse gewohnt. Kleine Welt was?
Ich hatte sie ja da ein paar mal besucht.

Ginette

bbbilly1326
04-04-2001, 07:25 AM
Noch mehr unglaublich! Ja, kleine Welt...

------------------
Bill
"Paintings are never finished, only abandoned" (source unknown)
index.html (http://hamiltoncarroll.homestead.com)