PDA

View Full Version : Still new with pastels

Blueyog
11-02-2002, 12:37 AM
Hello all !

I bought a small set of oil pastels some times ago. I haven't play that much with them, because it's a little bit messy. So I haven't explore as much as I want to, and there are some technical points that I miss. Especially how to do small details. I'll certainly learn more by exploring this forum.

Anyway, this is a small drawing I did last year. Even if it's really not perfect, I'm proud of the bright colors and of how the highlight is done. All the tips you can give me to improve my technique will be very welcome :D

I don't have the brand of my pastels and of the paper near me but it's oil pastels and done without any image reference.

Gaka
11-02-2002, 05:02 AM
Hi Bluey

Welcome, You have certainly got colors looking bright and lively with good contrasts, I have a set of NeoPastels (Oil) But I have not used them as yet. I bought them to do Menu Boards with as they can be sprayed over to stop smudging etc.

I must give then a try and see if I can get mine to look realy brilliant like yours, lets know if you try small deatails and post the result...It sounds interesting and a challenging.

Gaka

Blueyog
11-02-2002, 01:20 PM
Thank you. I'm looking forward to see what you will done with oil pastels, you are very good in details :D

My pastels brand is Cray-Pas. It's a student quality set. I bought them because it was my first try and I wanted to begin with something cheaper, to see if I like it before to pay for a good quality set. But they work very well, they are very soft. I use my fingers a lot to blend the colors, it's the best way I've found lol

KarenU
11-03-2002, 12:11 AM
Welcome Blueyog! :D This is marvelous....wonderful vibrant colors and a great fall feeling to it....especially perfect for this time of year! I'll look forward to seeing more of your work!

Blueyog
11-03-2002, 12:32 AM
Do I need to mention I did it EXACTLY one year ago ? :D

Thank you for your comment, I don't work often with pastels but I'll certainly post my progress here !

Koert
11-03-2002, 06:53 AM
i love your use of colours

crumbedbrains
11-03-2002, 08:12 AM
Great colours!!
Never tried oil pastels . .they look hard to use . . mmmmmmm
Keep them coming!!
Cheers
Crumbs