PDA

View Full Version : Choice of paper colour

crumbedbrains
11-01-2002, 11:32 PM
Hi Everyone,

After seeing a some pieces here over the past few days I notice the choice of paper/mat board colour is a very important part of the process which has not been discussed much (at least in my short time at WC).

How do you all go about it? . .do you choose compliments?, Harmonies? mid tones? darks? . . .

I've fallen in love with Stonehenge paper but I can only get it in black, white or cream!! . .not always the best choice I've found out today after spending hours trying to cover up all those white specks!!

So, c'mon . .please do tell

Crumby

chookbrown
11-01-2002, 11:44 PM
Hey Cb... my choice of colored paper is often driven by the subject matter and using the paper color as a type of "all over wash" instead of doing it with the pastel color I use the color of the paper.... You would have noticed on the apple pic I did that I used a red paper.... and the piano stool pic which was largely wood surfaces I used a dark brown/burgundy colored paper. This is my way of "cheating" when I have a deadline and not the time to do as many layers.

Cheers,

Chooky :D:D

Redsy333
11-02-2002, 12:05 AM
Well for Paper choice I prefer buying the full sheets of Light blue or blue Canson Mi-Teintes, I prefer to work with the textured side vs the smooth for portraits..I have no clue why! LOL I just do:D
I am about to embark on some wildlife pics and I am in love with the Sennelier Textured board, I plan on using the tan color.
I use Acid free matting, with the cut beveled inward to help reduce dust issues.
When Ever I finish a pic, I place it on foam board with mounting tabs and cover for storage.
I use foam board as a backing...and it may change depending on what and where the pic is going. For example, if it was to be a show piece I would let the Professional Framer (lol) do it!!

Hope that helps!!
:D

Katherine J
11-02-2002, 02:18 AM
Personally, CB, I'm hooked on Colourfix paper and I'm really attracted to black. My other choice is their grey. I think there's something about my style that suits black best. I did a piece on grey Canson Mi-Teintes this week and although it's OK, I'm not as happy as if it had been either on black Mi-Teintes or Colourfix. I'll be posting a couple of pieces this weekend or next week both done on black Colourfix - an apple still life for both. More than anything, I guess, it's the texture of the Colourfix paper I like.

jackiesimmonds
11-02-2002, 02:30 AM
if you cover the whole sheet with pastel so that the paper doesn't show at all, then it matters not wot colour you use.

If you leave bits of the paper showing, so that it becomes part of the image, then you have to think about it .

Dark paper will provide most contrast.

Neutral paper will blend with the image.

Complements will add excitement.

Cools will add contrast to a warm pic.

Warms will add contrast to a cool pic.

Harmonies will harmonize.

Over to you Crumby. !!

Jackie