PDA

View Full Version : Viv's Watermedia Sketchbook

Vivien Maloney
09-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Yes, I've begun another Journal. I find I'm using lots of waterbased media; watercolor, Inktense pencils, Neocolor II, watercolor pencils etc. So I wanted something with a heavier paper which would take these, without buckling.
After doing lots of research, I've discovered there's not a lot of this type of Journal for sale in New Zealand, (but plenty of sketchbook/journals with thinner paper). I've found a few Art shops which sell Moleskin Journals but they are very expensive. So when I saw this Langton sketchbook, I bought it at once. Its 9in x 12in, and heavy watercolor paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2010/196305-Langton_Sketchbook_004.JPG

The first page was done for the "Scavenger Hunt" and is a still-life "dried arrangement" that I have in my lounge. I used Inktense Pencils and Pitt Artists pens.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2010/196305-Langton_Sketchbook_003.JPG

C & Cs welcome

robertsloan2
09-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Vivien, I love that dried arrangement. That is a spectacular still life. Such beautiful, delicate details in such a perfect balance. Are the little yellow flowers washed before you added the details? They're so striking in their intensity, the brightest element in the scene.

Gorgeous book! I've read about the Langton paper, it's really good, I just haven't tried it yet. Heavier paper is a great joy for those mediums. Even the Moleskine watercolor journals don't have 140lb paper, so you've got something special there - enjoy it!

DrDebby
09-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Great still life. With the 300gms, can you use both sides of the paper?

Vivien Maloney
09-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Debby and Robert - Thank you both for your comments. Yes I'm enjoying using this Langton sketchbook and as the watercolor paper is so thick, I will use both sides. It only has 12 sheets so I guess I'd be finished it in rapid time if I didn't use both sides.

The paper has a lovely feel to it and (surprisingly) the ink went on really smoothly as well. I spotted it for half price at our Art Shop sale. It had been $30.00 NZ, and was selling at $15.00, so I was delighted to see it. I think I'll go back and see if they have anymore before they sell out completely! Not any demand for them here apparently! At that price I could buy lots!

JTMB
09-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Hi Viv :wave: ,

Great to see another of your sketchbooks here, and your first page is excellent! I'm still searching for the 'perfect' watercolor sketchbook as well. I've tried (and still use) Arches, Moleskine and Aquabee but they all have tradeoffs. The Arches paper is a little too heavy for a sketchbook, the Aquabee is ok but doesn't take watercolor as well as I would like, and the Moleskine works well but I'm not a fan of the aspect ratio of their watercolor notebooks. Or maybe this is all rationalization for continuing to buy and try different sketchbooks...:lol: !

I'll be checking in on this one regularly.

robertsloan2
09-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Viv, that makes sense! Stock up while they're still half price. Very cool to be able to use both sides of the page - you're right about that, with 140lb paper that's very easy. I do it on my Moleskine ones too but that paper's only about 100lb, not as heavy, so it occasionally cockles.

John, it makes sense to try and buy different sketchbooks. Each one has its own character and they always lead to new discoveries for me. Though when I rotate which ones I'm using, dating what I'm doing as an aggregate seems a bit trickier.

jacquip
09-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Viv great new sketchbook. Good to see you got a bargain that worked out for you. I hope you can get a few more to use too. I really like that still life set up. Great contrasts in the textures. Your shading is very well done.