PDA

View Full Version : Creative Experiment -Let's All Try A New Color

impressionist2
11-01-2002, 07:34 AM
I am going paint shopping next week and I would like to add a new and experimental ( for me) color to my palette and give it a whirl.

In that vein I think it would fun if we each suggested one of our favorite discoveries in a color we could suggest, for someone else to try, that they may find exciting.

Name the color and the brand.

Here's one from my palette.

Winsor Newton "Permanent Rose" Artist Oils. It's a FABULOUS color. You can mix it with ultra blue to make a beautiful purple and add titanium white to make a violet.

It is wonderful as an underpainting with the violet peeking through.

So, c'mon now, please.

EXPAND Your COLORS!

Please make some great suggestions we can all try to buy and give it the Creative try.

Let's all share with each other.

Renee

TedB
11-01-2002, 08:01 AM
you can be funny, renee, making me laugh......you must have been a cheerleader in high school ! RAH ! RAH ! LOL !

you make a good point about trying new colors....though, for me, i am inclined to use my basic colorist palette in order to discover new mixtures from that. anytime i go to an art store, i find the 'same old' colors in the tubes. when in 'the city' i can browse for more at say ny central or pearl or utrecht.....but, i don't have that option much lately.

true, perm rose is a lovely one for mixtures. mixed with yellow ochre, you can achieve some luscious earth colors.

if i would suggest oils, i would offer:

silver white - williamsburg paint co
trans red oxide - utrecht
chinese red - holbein
vermillion - williamsburg paint co
cinnebar med - rembrandt

anyway - back to the cheering section with renee !
RAH !! RAH !! RAH !

LOL - ted

Wayne Gaudon
11-01-2002, 08:04 AM
I have used Rose Madder from Rembrandt and Perm Rose from Winton and yes .. awesome purples when stroked with Ultramarine .. for a soft rosey sunset, mix a touch of it with Napels Yellow.

I bought a new purple but haven't tried it yet .. it's so new to me, I can't even remember the name.

.. I will give it a go this weekend and let you know .

impressionist2
11-01-2002, 08:23 AM
anyway - back to the cheering section with renee !
RAH !! RAH !! RAH !

Ted, Sometimes the "stands" will just sit there, staring at the field. That's why you need the maniacs yelling, "Give us an "A"", etc..

It woke you and Wayne up, didn't it?

Hahahahaha.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2002/cheerldr.gif

Give us a "C" , an "O", an "L" , an "O", and an "R" !!!!
COLOR, COLOR, COLOR...............................Yea!!!!!

Maybe I ought to cut back on the coffee in the morning.:D

Renee

nancymae
11-01-2002, 10:14 AM
Great idea!!! I have used Permanent Rose as a watercolor W/N brand....it is a wonderful color for flowers and does not gray as easily. Great for landscapes too.

I have a Brilliant Violet that I have not explored...(Schmitke??sp??)

GREAT WEEKEND PROJECT!!!

Nancy

mallory
11-01-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by impressionist2
IEXPAND Your COLORS!

Renee

Renee: I've been working hard for several months trying to reduce my palette. I finally got it down to 7 colors and was feeling pretty good about that. :) Now you want me to add more colors.:confused:

I'll tell you what I'd like to add. I don't know if you ever feel this way, but sometimes when faced with a color choice I contemplate the three primaries and if they don't do it for me I contemplate the secondaries and maybe the tertiaries... but sometimes I just want to shout ..... I NEED A COUPLE MORE PRIMARIES! :evil:

mallory

hummingbird
11-01-2002, 11:53 AM
Hi Renee, good post. I've been thinking about adding new colors anyways but won't know till I get to the store next. I use Winsor & Newton acrylics primarily but there is a Brillant Purple by Liquitex that I really like. I love purple altho I tend to notice that buyers don't love it as much as me judging from emails I get. They'll say they love this or that painting of mine but "could you make another one without the purple?" :(

Pat

impressionist2
11-01-2002, 12:50 PM
Now you want me to add more colors. - Mike

Well, not exactly. I just want us all not to miss out on a new color we haven't tried yet! You may have found a color that I would be able to use that would add a new wonderful touch to my paintings. The key word being, "Experiment".

Right now I have thalo green/alizarin crimson, cad red light, Permanent Rose, thalo green, terre verde. cad yellow, raw sienna, ultra blue, titanium white and cad. orange. ( And is it any wonder wonder my paintings say "COLOR"? Oh yes, when needed mars black.

So, gimme another one, please?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2002/paint.gif

Pat, I use violet as an underpainting ( fabulous) and accent touches of it. My paintings that sell the best all have blue as their main theme. A medium to light blue ( Another whole thread-tomorrow).

Renee

mallory
11-01-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by impressionist2
Now you want me to add more colors. - Mike

Well, not exactly. I just want us all not to miss out on a new color we haven't tried yet! Renee

I paint in watercolors and awhile ago I received a set of "Tom Lynch 'Juice Colors'". There are four colors all Holbein, a Yellow, Green and then Opera and Peacock Blue. I didn't try the Opera, because I thought it wasn't lightfast, but then I heard they have redesigned the pigment and it is lightfast.

So, I am going to try mixing both the opera and the peacock blue into my seven regulars to see what happens. I want to take a stab at the Bet 3 nude project in the watercolor forum. Maybe an Opera figure in a field of Peacock Blue :confused: or maybe not :)

This reminds me of an exercise I saw, but didn't try recently - I think from Robert Glenn - Sit yourself down somewhere and start picking up your paints one by one and say, "Where can I use this paint in this scene." When the image is color-full, quite picking up paints and sign it. Maybe I'll do that one day. Maybe I'll just go paint another barn. :)

mallory

impressionist2
11-01-2002, 08:31 PM
- Sit yourself down somewhere and start picking up your paints one by one and say, "Where can I use this paint in this scene." When the image is color-full, quite picking up paints and sign it. Maybe I'll do that one day. Maybe I'll just go paint another barn. -Mike

Mike, Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................................This is an experiment? This is How I paint! In fact, this is exactly how I paint. Who is Robert Glenn? Where can I see his work?

Oh, yes, Another Great color is Thalo Green Light!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2002/ReneeKDHMtransp.gif

Rose Queen
11-01-2002, 09:34 PM
Renee, there are a ton of Robert Genn articles right here at WetCanvas: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/channels.php?s=&channel_id=1 and scroll down the right side toward the bottom.

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

impressionist2
11-01-2002, 10:30 PM
Thanks Rose Queen, Sure, I know who he is now. The "Painter's Keys" artist.

Yes, I like his work.

Renee

hummingbird
11-02-2002, 11:24 AM
OK Renee, this is your fault ;) I picked up a new tube of color yesterday. Didn't see anything I wanted to try in the Winsor Newton line, which is always my first choice. But I did see a Light Blue Violet by Liquitex that I picked up. Like I need another blue, haha. Blues & purples are my favs, I shoulda been looking at the yellows and oranges, LOL. We'll see what happens with this.

Pat

Paintonbrush
11-02-2002, 06:24 PM
stumbled in here, hope you dont mind my joinin in.
I am not if front of my paints at the moment, but love a new color I picked up....rembrant (sp?) kings blue.
really king-ie

pampe
11-03-2002, 11:46 PM
If you buy a watercolor

GET holbein OPERA

It is a whore-like PINK that knocks your socks off......:evil:

bswilson1147
11-07-2002, 03:53 PM
Occasionally I try a new color.

Went to a workshop last Feb. and the artist required Opera and Permanent Red. They are so vibrant together that they nearly jump off the page. Great for poppies when used VERY wet and mingled with Indian Yellow.

Recently I ordered Lavender. Haven't received it yet but will let you know what I think.

Have recently tried turquoise from Grumbacher Academy and like it. My students LOVE Geranium Lake.

What a treat to try a new color!:cat:

impressionist2
11-07-2002, 04:39 PM
Nancy mae, You wrote:I have a Brilliant Violet that I have not explored...(Schmitke??sp??)

What happened with that? I need a fabulous peacock blue, you know, the one that's a purplish blue? Gorgeous color. Anyone find one ( oil ) I don't have to mix?

Holbein makes a wonderful stunner of a color called "permanent green light". Picked up a tube the other day. Also, in their water soluble, they have an
Ice green" that jumps right off the canvas. They don't have that color available in regular oils, though.

Bs, Grumbacher's turquoise is the BEST! Gotta get another one of those next time..

Renee

AncientMelody
01-11-2016, 11:32 AM
I needed a few acrylics to the set my mother gave me. She has matte colors which I use primarily but I could not resist the glossy purple and turqouise. Have not used them yet as I used watercolors yesterday

robertsloan2
01-27-2016, 09:28 AM
I want Cobalt Teal in Daniel Smith watercolors or watercolor sticks. I wasn't sure if I had it but just checked, what I have is Pthalo Turquoise. Not that I don't love Pthalo colors, just really want to try the Cobalt Teal. So many pigments. So many hues. So little time or budget. lol

I'm a pastelist so don't even get me started on pastel colors. There's those strange silver-violet-gray sticks from Diane Townsend, all sorts of odd colors that become so useful once I've got them...

thetech
02-18-2016, 06:57 AM
Rob, I have the Daniel Smith Cobalt Teal, its a nice subdued yet bright sky color for me, otherwise I rarely use it. It does make some interesting mixes though...

For me, it's the Daniel Smith Quin Gold (and Quin Deep Gold too), it's an awesome color, I use it all the time. When used with DS Phthalo Blue, and DS Quin Rose, there isn't much you cant do with the combination.

Panna
02-18-2016, 11:18 PM
So I just went through my draw of paints and realised I don't have a green .... Any thoughts to which one I like colours that go well with blues and orange ...brand I normally use is golden and Matisse but Matisse is so hard to get :( which I prefer ... Any suggestions to which green

thetech
03-25-2016, 06:54 AM
The green would depend on what your painting (ie landscapes, or portraits, or still life)...frankly if you have yellows and blues...mix your own greens...green being a "convenience color" you don't really need it. I think the greens you mix yourself are more convincing as well.

However that being said, I am a big fan of Sap Green, and the Matisse line has a pretty nice looking one...(Australian Sap Green). If I thought I had to have a green (and I do have more than one), it's one that I would want. Although I do have more than one tube of Sap Green in watercolors, I don't have any in acrylics...I may have to remedy that at some point.