PDA

View Full Version : Great Egret

Gaka
11-01-2002, 06:39 AM
Hi Everyone

I have used most mediums before but not Acrylics, so I decided to give Acrylics a try. The Canvas was originally for an Elephant Oil painting, But the Elephant wondered off, so I decided to use the Canvas for the Great Egret. It is about 1000mmH x 850mmW or 40inH x 34inW I do not usually paint on such large a Canvas.

Having not used Acrylics before, I had to work out the best way to use them to suit my style as well as attaining the effect that I wanted to attain. I stumbled and fell a lot as I went and I got a little tired of picking myself up all of the time...But I am a very patient and determined person thankfully.

The painting took me around three hundred hours, I hope that you enjoy viewing my first Acrylic...I do not know if I will attempt another!!!!

Gaka

Gaka
11-01-2002, 06:44 AM
A close up

captan
11-01-2002, 07:32 AM
:eek: x 1000

:clap: x infinity

omg! The detail is just amazing! All I can say is WOW!

mariela
11-01-2002, 08:31 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Your work is
absolutely fabulous!!!!

why not trying another one????
i like very very much the dark background and the way you rendered the feather is fantastic....
Waiting for your next painting.... CONGRATULATIONS!

KarenU
11-01-2002, 09:52 AM
Gaka....simply amazing....your work is wonderful. Your frog in the pastel forum was stupendous and now this Egret in acrylic is just a show stopper!!

I'd be interested to hear why you don't want to attempt another acrylic. If we could hear what bothered you most about the acrylics, perhaps someone else has worked out a method that would work better for you.

I'd love to see more of your work! :D

tashila
11-01-2002, 10:11 AM
you definately should continue with acrylics!! this painting looks soo much like an actual picture. I paint in acrylics myself, and never knew you could achieve such an effect, like the feathers.
the way you did the foliage as well...........................

You should do a step by step demonstration!!!

This is an extremely fine piece!!!

---Tashila

http://www.tashilaart.com

jimb
11-01-2002, 10:13 AM
Absolutely awsome! This is an amazing job for your first time in this medium. Love the detail and the color!:clap:

Keith Russell
11-01-2002, 11:39 AM
Greetings:

I tell my students (and anyone else who will listen) that it isn't the medium, but what the artist does with the medium, that is essential.

Obviously, since this is your first acrylic painting, you know a great deal about colour, light, shadow, composition, etc., and you were able to apply this knowledge expertly to a new medium.

Awesome work. I'm an acrylic artist, but I don't really care what media you decide to pursue. I'm sure that whatever medium you choose, the work will be incredible.

Keith.

artistjan
11-01-2002, 11:50 AM
That's beautiful. I never thought that such fine detail could be achieved with acrylics. You must have an infinite amount of patience.

The whole thing is absolutely stunning!

YLCIA
11-01-2002, 01:00 PM
AMAZING, GORGEOUS, EXQUISITE!

Julia:)

bswilson1147
11-01-2002, 02:03 PM
I'd love to have this on my wall!

RobinZ
11-01-2002, 02:08 PM
Just beautiful

Gaka
11-01-2002, 04:35 PM
Hi everyone and thank you for your comments and kind praise

JMF...I have endless patience when it comes to my creative and artistic work....But unfortunately it fails me in many other areas!!!

Keith....I agree with you totaly, it is how they use it and the effect that they achieve with it. I also paint photorealism in Pastel, Oil, W/Color, Pencil and Pen and Ink. But not as much as I should :(

KU....I probably will paint Acrylics again...BUT not for a while. It has been more than 3 Weeks since I finished the Egret and I am so drained that I do not have any interest nor enthusiasm for painting at all. My paintings are very time consuming, emotionaly, mentally and physically draining.

I like to push the mediums that I work in the the extreme, where people question the medium and it shows People just how versitile all Mediums can be. That is not to say that everyone should paint fine detail, But there is a style in there somewhere for everyone.......there is a part of me that wants to apply paint with a Shovel and a Broom just to get out of the photorealism prison that I feel like I am in sometimes!!!!!

Gaka

Southern Style
11-01-2002, 05:29 PM
Absolutely stunning! Please post your painting in General Critique and in the Animal/Wildlife forum so others here can enjoy this exquisite piece of art!

hypnattize
11-01-2002, 06:45 PM
WOOOWWW :eek:

this is simply amazing.....the feathers are...well...amazing!!! how did you get those lines like that?! what's your technique (if you dont' midn sharing that is :) )

this is stunning! :clap:

idahogirl
11-01-2002, 07:19 PM
I am breathless... this is so beautiful. Please consider posting this in the Animal and Wildlife section. They might not see it here.

Again, WOW :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dee

Gaka
11-01-2002, 11:06 PM
Hi Hypno

I am/was a Signpainter by trade, But I am virtually redundant because of Computers here in Australia, So It was easy so to speak....I will try to explain how. Firstly I used a Liner Brush, it was not too smal. I call them pressure Brushes because the more pressure you put on them or the closer you get to the work surface the thicker the line becomes. So you start out ...say 1inch away from the canvas and as you progress down the line you gradually increase the distance away from the canvas...finally being 1 3/4 inches away with just the tip of the Brush touching. Easier said than done as it takes practice.

In conjunction with this you use a rest stick or Mahl stick that signpainters use, This keeps your Hand steady, I would advise that you practice first. I turn the painting around so that the lines that I want to do are running from the top to the bottom as this is the natural fall of your Arm and wrist. I am cheating you may say...No....I can do it the other way, but it makes is much easier to turn it around. Let me know if you practice it and how you went.

Seeya

Gaka

surreal
11-02-2002, 12:51 AM
It is exquisite!
:D

mf.sutton
11-02-2002, 04:51 AM
Wow, this is just amazing, such detail.

mike
:clap:

animal
11-02-2002, 10:10 AM
Gaka, your attention to detail is AMAZING! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

chookbrown
11-02-2002, 02:38 PM
Another thousand WOWs from me Gaka... You are amazing.... Do you mind if I ask???? Did you sell the egret or is it still in your possession???

Chooky :D:D:D

Gaka
11-02-2002, 07:49 PM
Hi Chooky

No I did not sell the Great Egret nor any of my other works as they are painted from Copyrite Photographs and it is next to imposible to get the Photographers name and copyrite release. I just love the challenge in developing my techniques and detail.....I am now sourcing copyrite free reference material on the Internet as well as getting out and getting my own material to use, I must say that it has been a while since I last seen an Elephant wandering down the Street here in Cairns :D Oh well I guess that I will have to travel :cool:

Seeya

Gaka

idahogirl
11-03-2002, 06:38 PM
Gaka,

You might also want to check the reference library here at Wetcanvas. There are many excellent photos there.

Dee

TigerEye
11-04-2002, 12:07 AM
This is incrediable, completly awsome, the effects you used are stuning and gorgeous!!!!!! It look like a picture, truly amazing. Keep up the good work :-]]]

TigerEye

Gaka
11-04-2002, 03:35 AM
Thank you for telling me about the reference Library, I have not got around to checking all of the site as yet, But I will do so.

Thank you again

Gaka

Bordelon
11-04-2002, 06:54 AM
I am in awe!
One questions, can you get that same type of detail in the feathers using oil? I recently changed from oil to acrylic, and find I can do detail and lines so much easier.
Sandra

Gaka
11-04-2002, 07:37 AM
Hello Asis

You are right, You can get the details a little easier with Acrylics, But it is possible to do the same with Oil Paint. The main problem with Oils is...You would have to thin the Oil down to be able to get it to flow and the problem caused by this is getting the coverage of the Oil Paint. I think that I could get it to cover in one go.

I had a similar problem getting the white feathers to cover because I had to have the Acrylic very thin so it would flow across the Canvas but it was a little more easier to control than Oil would have been.

Enjoy your Acrylics

Gaka

ikre8t
11-04-2002, 09:36 AM
such Extreme BEAUTY...................your talent is much appreciated!

qande12
11-05-2002, 01:15 AM
I'm truely amazed at your painting. The lighting is increadibly realistic and beautiful, and I like the fine details of the feathers.