PDA

View Full Version : Plans to make my own press

edwardmartin
11-01-2002, 04:29 AM
Hope someone can help me!!!! I have been trying to find a resource or another ingenious printmaker to give me guidance in building my own print press to print my own prints, etchings, etal.

I am doing several types of printing techniques and some unique ideas of my own ( if they work ) but I will attempt them. I would really enjoy the process of building my own press for my studio, and needless to say, being the Bohemian Artist type, Cash poor and full of creativeness. If any one has any ideas on what materials and instructions I can utilize it would be greatly appreciated. Any help?????Please????

Thank you,
Edward

[email protected]

Gisela
11-01-2002, 12:21 PM
Hi Edward,
Welome to the PM forum! :)

The only thing I've ever seen online is Nik Semenoff's directions for building a palm press. Here's the link;

http://duke.usask.ca/~semenoff/

I don't know if that's what your looking for, but maybe it's a place to get started. :) I think most of the pieces-parts of a press are so finely tooled that it would probably cost more to make your own, than to buy one...

Jerry's Art Supplies has a small Italian-made press in their holiday catalog...$199 for the press, Julia Ayers book on monotype and a set of monotype paints. My hubby got it last year for me as a Christmas gift. The press is small The bed is 11' x 16', but it works fine. I've used it for etchings, linocuts and monotype with no
problems. Here's the link for Jerry's;

http://www.jerryscatalog.com/

Good luck :)
Gisela

edwardmartin
11-01-2002, 09:32 PM
Thank you, Gisela !!!!!!!

I had just downloaded from that site today......I would really like to construct my own if possible. I am in the process of a new career in my midlife and have returned to school to hopefully achieve my Phd. in Art Therapy at Florida State University. My hopes are to have a complete facility with therapy available in art, music, drama for treating mentally ill or abused children and adults. ...............Love your work and thank you again for your help......Edward :cat:

sassybird
11-02-2002, 11:39 AM
I don't know about your fabrication skills, but before my husband decided to buy me a press he was talking about making a hydrolic one that had a pressure guage to use with the different techniques like lino, etchings, and monoprints. I know that some folks have used the old fashion washer/wringers for doing lino, and that works out well.

edwardmartin
11-04-2002, 12:27 AM
Charissa, Thank you for the response........they are expensive. Right now I am eye-balling my PASTA MACHINE........hmmmmm.....Maybe! Thanks again, Edward :cat:

sassybird
11-04-2002, 10:38 AM
Edward, see the thread below about the Speedball press on sale at Dick Blicks. That is even cheaper than a pasta making machine :D I don't know how it would do with etchings, but at least you could do some lino.