PDA

View Full Version : Taming a water buckle

crazywoman53
09-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Has anyone ever tried to get a water buckle out of wallis paper after it has been painted? I had water damage to a pastel and tried to tape it flat so it would dry flat. Most of it did except right at the bottom where there is a significant ripple. I am thinking of turning it over and spraying it with water once again and then weighing it down... any other ideas?

Studio-1-F
09-10-2010, 06:56 PM
I love this thread title! I was expecting to see something about shooting a rapid in a kayak. Yipeeee! :D Taming the Wild Water Buckle!

Jan

Deborah Secor
09-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Me, too! :lol:

There's a technique that Kitty Wallis uses where she tapes and stretches her paper a bit at a time to dry it flat. You probably have her Pro grade paper, which needs to be stretched as it dries more than the Museum grade.

Here's what she said
Another question - do you mount your paper on matboard first??...doe

-No I don't mount it. I tape it to my easel board. I do use this method on location, taping it to my foamcore board.

-My paper isn't taped like watercolor paper, since it's so heavily compressed to run through the coating mill. It expands more and shrinks back more than watercolor paper. I do not tape along the entire edge, the paper will expand on the tape, look corrugated and be prevented by the tape from flattening again.

-I use 2 pieces of tape no longer than 4" at each corner. The first piece is applied to the BACK, leaving 1/4" protruding from the side, a 1/4' x4" tab. The second piece is taped to that tab and attaches the paper to the board, leaving the entire surface free of tape. Tape doesn't stick well to the sanded surface, so this creates a more firm attachment.

-When the underpainting is done, but still wet, I lift the bottom two tapes from the board and stretch the paper across the bottom and down ftom the center of the paper. Repeat with the top two tapes. Don't pull too hard, It won't look entirely flat when it's stretched, but it will continue to shrink as it dries and will dry flat.

You might give it a go.

crazywoman53
09-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Jan, glad you got a smile from the title. Just looking at the buckle makes me think a rapid might be easier.

Deborah thank you so so very much!!! I will give this a try and see if I can pull it out. No wonder taping it didn't work. She is right about it not responding like watercolor paper does. So the tape gets applied to the back before it is wet then? Does it matter if it goes across the bottom or down the side on the back?