PDA

View Full Version : colors, choices and challenges

hummingbird
10-31-2002, 01:42 PM
Is there any color you really don't like using? Don't you know why?

Is there any color you use in abundance?

Have you played with challenging yourself by limiting your palette to maybe 2 or 3 colors? Was it difficult?

Rose Queen
10-31-2002, 02:08 PM
I don't use a lot of greens because I think all the tube greens look fake, but I don't seem to be able to mix realistic ones for some reason -- it's not for want of trying! I use a whole lot of purple; in fact, I have three purples on my palette! I haven't tried painting something with just a few colors, but Malarkey has and they're really quite interesting!

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

Blueyog
10-31-2002, 02:22 PM
I use mostly blues and greens. I love to play with those colors !

I don't know why, but I rarely use red. Except for some shadows or mix with other colors. Never reds alone.

Working with only a few colors is hard lol. I've already tried but I always add more and more different colors. Even thought I have a drawing done only with gray and blue.

Jetsam
10-31-2002, 02:43 PM
Good question... thanks for the post!

I like to use a very limited range of colors. Sometimes I'll paint monochrome, other times I'll only use 2-3 colors. I often think that more atmosphere can come through when you aren't using 100 different colors. That's just my personal preference.

The colors themselves? I work mostly in oil... Deep greens, blues, earthy reds, oranges, browns. I like colors with a fair amount of transparency to them. I like to build layers. Sometimes I'll paint thick, but many of my paintings are built up in transparent layers, and 'built down' with paint removal (when wet) or sanding (when dry).

busy91
10-31-2002, 03:33 PM
I haven't come across a color I don't like using yet.

I tend to like using blues and reds.

I limited my palette to blues once and green once, it was OK, but I like lots of color.

impressionist2
10-31-2002, 08:32 PM
Is there any color you really don't like using?
Raw Umber

Don't you know why?
Sure I do. ..............................................................................................................................Oh, you wanted an answer? "cause it's "blech brown". :)

Cad. Red light!! Ultra blue/titanium white mix!!

Have you played with challenging yourself by limiting your palette to maybe 2 or 3 colors?

Yes.

Was it difficult? Excruciatingly so.:cat:

You ask the greatest questions, Pat.

Renee

TedB
10-31-2002, 11:49 PM
yes, i detest any umbers ! i'm not too happy with tube greens, though i often use cinnebar green med., mixing it with lemon yellows, or vermilion, or chinese red. other greens i mix. viridian i keep close by.

i use lots of transp red oxide and lemon yellow and cerulean blu and ult blu.......these are the tubes i replace more often, if that's an indicator.

i have used a limited palette on many occasions........primarily for studies. but, as a colorist, i prefer the punch of color.

ted

Wayne Gaudon
11-01-2002, 10:31 AM
I have read that Umbers tend to crack in a short period of time.

If using a limited pallet you cannot get the max intensity of color .. ie. If you make an orange using cad red and cad yellow it will not be of the intensity of the store bought cad orange. Every color you mix cannot be of an intensity of a store bought color for as soon as you mix it, a degree of adultration takes place.

Terre Verte is an excellent green that mixes down or up is true to an earth green.

I used to use too much UltraMarie Blue .. now I am moving away from that practice .. I can see now how red browns can be every bit as beautiful, in a different way, than blue browns when using them for your darkest darks .. for some reason I couldn't see that before.

Cad Yellow seem to be the one color I wouldn't want to be without for a nature pic.

I don't use black.

Not the biggest fan of Cer Blue but if you push it over an against an ultramarine blue with both being pure state, wow .. it's a war of the blues.

Sap green sucks big time for drying .. takes forever.

pampe
11-03-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by hummingbird
Is there any color you really don't like using? Don't you know why?

~~~BROWN...any brown....umber....NEVER have them on my pallette

~~~
PURPLE.....violet......any purple.....

Have you played with challenging yourself by limiting your palette to maybe 2 or 3 colors? Was it difficult?

gnu
11-08-2002, 03:23 AM
oh boy, perhaps I'm strange...I find it EASIER to use limited colours, even relaxing!!! My fav painting to dowas all in blue, with white and black as tonal range...
must try my fav combo when I was a kid with colouring in in pencils...this was pink and gray...side by side, I loved it!! now that's what I call an unusual combo!!!

impressionist2
11-09-2002, 08:02 AM
must try my fav combo when I was a kid with colouring in in pencils...this was pink and gray...side by side, I loved it!! now that's what I call an unusual combo!!!

gnu, Sounds like the Old Master's recipe for portraits!:) Renee

gnu
11-10-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by impressionist2

gnu, Sounds like the Old Master's recipe for portraits!:) Renee
Oh boy, really?? shows how little I know about the Masters' stuff... AND I took art history my last college (high school to you lot) year :D
Mind you, I had, still have , a thing for the lanscapists with COLOUR+ ...like Monet, V Gogh...:D

hummingbird
11-11-2002, 08:42 AM
I'm enjoying all the answers. I posted the question but never gave my own answers so here they are.

>>>Is there any color you really don't like using? Don't you know why?

I don't like them either and never use them. Haven't seen a brown I liked yet.

>>>Is there any color you use in abundance?
Yes, blues and purples. My favs.

>>>Have you played with challenging yourself by limiting your palette to maybe 2 or 3 colors? Was it difficult?

I have only done this a couple times that I remember. Once was a painting of a woman crying. I did it in black, grays and white to help set the mood. I rarely will do something like that. I love color so thats hard to do. But it would be a good challenge.

Pat

belladonna
11-15-2002, 12:55 PM
I have a hundred or more colors in my drawer, but I don’t use them all in the same painting! I use 3 or 4 colors plus white for each painting. This gives me a chance to experiment with their possibilities fully. The colors I do choose have a chance to shine on their own. A chance to say all they can. Have their ‘day’ so to speak. I don’t like any of the cadmium colors although I have used them from time to time. They just don’t seem to be able to sing as well as others do. The same goes for black. I like to use transparent colors the best. They are great for glazing and provide added depth for impasto as well.

heh
11-15-2002, 05:26 PM
sometimes orange scares me but i love all the colors
how can one not?

dena

arourapope
11-19-2002, 03:31 PM
I love all colors.
Just about all my paintings have some umbers in them (nothing has ever cracked, just for the record). I usually find some way to sneak perm alz crimson and perm sap green in too. :) I really love burnt sienna, but can find absolutely no purpose for raw sienna (anybody want mine?)... I'd rather use yellow ochre in its stead- it seems cleaner, somehow. I like the cads a lot, too- especially cad yellow med. Like I said, I like em all pretty miuch.
But I generally keep each painting limited to about three or four, plus white. I find I make prettier mud that way. :D

TeAnne
11-20-2002, 07:34 AM
I seam to reach for the reds/oranges and blues/purples. I hate pink, don't know why, prolly cos it's a washed out red to me :D

Koert
12-01-2002, 05:40 AM
I've posted this idea somewhere on WC before, but i'm gonna post it again anyway :)

I'm studying for teacher in elementary school, so from time to time, i have to teach art. One thing i like to do, is make the kids choose 3 or 4 colours, and only after they've done that, i tell them what they'll be drawing, painting, whatever...

i like working with a limited palette. I tend to want to add to many colours which usually makes what i did look like a rainbow convention or something if i don't use a limited palette

sunny
12-01-2002, 12:15 PM
I read somewhere that Color is to seeing what flavor is to eating.

It is by far the most sensuous element of the visual field and its very nature is what compells me to switch from my black & white drawings to my pastels and oils...and is probably why I am never satisfied with any one medium.

I love all colors, and what I use depends on the mood, the tempature of the piece I am working on. I limit my oil palette, for I find I can mix a richer color then buying a commercial tube. So when I feel disiplined I paint in oils, when I want to let loose I paint with pastels.

Yes I constantly challenge myself with limiting my palette. I love browns and will paint the whole underpainting in brown. Than I'll use transparent glazes to bring out a few areas. Sometimes the end result can be very dramatic.

wilddredcherry
12-03-2002, 02:46 AM
I love colour!...but I do force myself to work outside my "box" of favorites...(I would use Thalo Green everywhere if I could...but its much too powerful).

I am a bead artist, and I try to work towards my beading partners colours too...the collaberation effort opens many more ways of looking at your goals and out comes. (My partner loves reds, golds, and blacks....and does amazing stuff with pearls.)

I do still do something that I was taught by my art teacher ....way back in the stone age....I have my 'mix' of scraps from my successful projects....my favorite things if you may....I'm always adding and using dabs of it in all my colour mixes. My teacher called it the "mother colour". Try it.... if you dont have a mother colour...plan the tints you will intend on using on a piece and mix up a tiny taste of the harmonizer in the blends you develope...and avoid over mixing....let the pigments register.

wilddredcherry
12-03-2002, 02:53 AM
I love colour!...but I do force myself to work outside my "box" of favorites...(I would use Thalo Green everywhere if I could...but its much too powerful).

I am a bead artist, and I try to work towards my beading partners colours too...the collaberation effort opens many more ways of looking at your goals and out comes. (My partner loves reds, golds, and blacks....and does amazing stuff with pearls.)

I do still do something that I was taught by my art teacher ....way back in the stone age....I have my 'mix' of scraps from my successful projects....my favorite things if you may....I'm always adding and using dabs of it in all my colour mixes. My teacher called it the "mother colour". Try it.... if you dont have a mother colour...plan the tints you will intend on using on a piece and mix up a tiny taste of the harmonizer in the blends you develope...and avoid over mixing....let the pigments register.

whitehawk
12-10-2002, 08:29 PM
don't care for reds much, my palet is mostly cool colors

I use mostly greens and blues, but skin tones as well, since there tend to be people in my paintings. I love green.

Have used a limited palet. I found it fun I've done studies in one color and white.

amo
12-11-2002, 02:34 PM
I hate mucked-up yellow- either yellow with some purple in it, or a sickly yellow-green. And a combination that gives me the chills, for some reason, is the complimentary pair magenta/yellow-green (a prime example for that is Van Gogh's "Night Café in Arles"- ugh!).
The combination I love most is warm yellow and blue (Van Gogh's "Starry Night"). As for favourite individual colours: clear, pure yellow, and blue- especially cool blue.
I had a box of Lukas watercolour paints once that contained a wonderful blue; they called it "Helio Blue", it was kind of like cerulean, except way more intense. I used up almost the whole half-pan just painting swatches of it on paper, and revelling in the wonderful colour vibrations... (I'm glad I'm talking to artists here- "normal" people would think I was nuts!). I haven't found another blue like it in any of the other brands- W&N Prussian Blue comes close, but not quite.

As for why I feel this way about those colours- I really don't know. I've got some speculations about it- for example, cool blue and warm yellow are the colours I can wear best in clothes, too, whereas magenta and yellow-green (especially pale, pastel versions) make me look like death warmed over. But as I said, I really don't know...

Salairawns
03-06-2003, 12:01 AM
This thread is very interesting in what is says about the artists, and how people view color.

I love looking at blue and purple paintings, maybe with a touch of green, some of the new agey art has lots of those colors.
But, I can't seem to paint well with those colors myself.
On the other hand, I also love looking at very earthy abstract art, those with sienna, umber, ochres, and a touch of blue or red. And I've found those earthy colors are what I enjoy painting with.

Somewhere in another forum on WC, I saw the comment that paintings with lots of yellow are the hardest to sell.
Have any artists noticed a pattern in their color choices and what other viewers prefer when looking at your art?

artcreator
03-13-2003, 03:36 PM
I find that colors work well in combination with each other. I did go to a limited palette for a few works and liked how they turned out. Even Umber can have it's place in a painting if used sparingly. Here's a piece I did several years ago but never finished. I didn't like the composition, but I did it more as an experiment to see how the colors of Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, Yellow Ochre, Black (don't remember which kind), and Titanium White (recently switched over to flake) all would work together...now if I can just get a photo to upload here, I'll let you see it...I like how the colors played together as long as you don't go too overboard, but like I said, this was more of a study. by the way, this is a totally bad photo...all I have for taking any sort of photo at the time is a webcam, and that isn't exactly an exact science!

artcreator
03-13-2003, 03:37 PM
Oops...hope this does the trick...forgot to upload!

artcreator
03-13-2003, 04:00 PM
Then there are the ever popular blues and reds. This is a piece I did several (eight) years ago, when I first started painting. It could be a stronger statement, but it was the best I could do at the time since it was only my 3rd or 4th piece and I was feeling my way around my materials yet. Some people really connected with this image when it was out in the public's eye for some reason. I think it has more to do with the composition than the color, but I heard enough things about the color of my work to feel that it had at least something to do with them liking it on a psychological level. I still like this piece, even if the emotions reflected in it aren't necessarily the same...it has survived the wholesale scraping and repainting of some of my canvases that has occurred recently.

rapolina
04-16-2003, 04:22 AM
I hate any brown, and I have one in my palette, just to mix it up to get dark/grey hues, otherwise...in the trash!!! even my dresses or shoes are never brown. I neither like too much paintings of others with browns in!

I do love blue, I have 5 different in my palette, and it't impossible for me thoinking about a paining without at least a stroke of blue, pale or dark but blue. Most or my dresser are blue, my cars have always been of a sort of blue, i'd like even bklue spaghetti!!!:D

I thried to paint with limited palette, but I found it too restrictive: just thinking that i can't add a bit of a color to get a specific hue drives me mad and loose imagination. I even partecipate to a watercolor project in 3 colors only: a disaster for me, I produced an awful painting ang i felt forced doing that (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83344).

ciao, rapolina.

DanaT
04-16-2003, 10:45 AM
rapolina,

Your 3 pigment watercolor was beautiful. But I understand, some of the paintings I hated painting are the ones that others ooh and ahh over.

I can't say I dislike any color but I don't have a feel for using some colors like I do others. I have this mental block about using yellow - it just doesn't come out good. My portrait teacher uses it in skin tones a lot and I just can't get it to work with the subtlety that he does.

I love the umbers and siennas but sadly I am moving away from them now that I paint in oils because their values flop flop when they dry screwing up the painting. In portraits its driving me crazy so I'm experimenting with cutting down the intensity of reds by using greens. In watercolor, my favorite grey was ultramarine and burnt umber. :( In oil, I don't have a grey to replace it.

A good natural green I found for plein aire quite by accident is Prussian blue and Burnt Umber - its intense without being candy colored. I don't now how it will dry in oils tho. I'm really upset about how the umbers and siennas are looking in oil.

Rose Queen
04-16-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by TeAnne
I seam to reach for the reds/oranges and blues/purples. I hate pink, don't know why, prolly cos it's a washed out red to me :D

TeAnne, you need to get some of Holbein's Opera -- nothing washed out about that pink (in fact, I bet it glows in the dark!)...

calvo
04-17-2003, 06:51 PM
In oils, I tend to use lots of yellow ochre, burnt sienna, and black, plus a few primaries to mix (usually small) accents. Also like raw umber for doing monochrome value plans. My watercolors have seldom gotten beyond the "swear at it and start over" stage, but I tend to use brighter colors on them.

An interesting discussion, which demonstrates that good work can be done with ANYTHING! I'm stimulated to drag out some colors I hate and see what I can do with them.

Thanks for the insights,

Calvo

gillyvu
04-18-2003, 03:20 PM
I am really big with using reds, I don't know why but I put them everywhere! Yet, I NEVER, EVER, EVER! use orange, I just don't like that colour, and it just never finds a way to squueve into my art... trust me it's tried.

DanaT
04-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Try painting a flaming redhair without cadmium orange. It can't be done. ;) :)

Lampburke
04-19-2003, 09:27 AM
Purples, I'm never drawn to use purples. I think because they seem to me to be a reflection of either the red or blue palette....

impressionist2
04-19-2003, 09:45 AM
Oh, gee! All of my work is done with reds, purples and oranges. :D

The trick though is to learn ( and this takes lots of time-years maybe), how to make the complimentary beautiful greys of those colors. Paintings are not meant ( except for the style of painting that says Kerpow!, and those can be great) to be painted with colors right out of the tube.

I have spent the last five years alone, learning those greys by studying master painters that I admire.

My paintings vary now between almost all greys of those colors ( the two paintings on my homepage) and vivid high chroma versions ( new paintings link).

On my chefs link page, every face is a cad. orange,blue/ violet grey face. The blues are really ultra blue/ purple, then greyed with white and cad. orange.

Color- it's an endless process.

Renee

http://www.ReneeBrown.com

JamieWG
04-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Lampburke
Purples, I'm never drawn to use purples. I think because they seem to me to be a reflection of either the red or blue palette....

I love purple (dioxazine violet) as a main base color. I must have used nearly 1/4 tube of it here. Almost every color was mixed with purple:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2003/13766-Window_View_Peach_Lake_Fall.jpg

DanaT
04-19-2003, 07:02 PM
I sometimes use a pigment right out of the tube...but only after I've built up the values enough. Then a stroke of pure cad. red or ultramarine blue can really make a painting sing.

But the value stage before I get to that is where I mix my greys. Its tougher than it looks to mix bunches of greys in different values and color temperature and have them just differ from each other enough and yet all still look grey. When I can do it, it looks fabulous though and that's when I can put on the pure juicy pigment.

impressionist2
04-19-2003, 08:42 PM
Dana, Absolutely. I meant to mention that before. That one pure color can really be the knockout punch , surrounded by beautiful greys.

Just finished this floral. Most of the painting is varying shades of greys and then a few dabs of pure color.

Jamie, I like your painting very much.

Say, Jamie, I wanted to ask you what is good to visit regarding art. I believe you live pretty near my daughter ( Lake Peekskill) and I was wondering if there are any good museums or any points of interest to an artist or art lover up near there? Thanks.

Renee

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2003/4924-Hydrangeas.jpg

JamieWG
04-19-2003, 08:52 PM
Lovely painting, Renee!

You're coming up to Lake Peekskill? Does this mean we can have a play date and go painting? :D The Hammond Museum is here in North Salem and I've never even been there! 'Haven't been to Lake Peekskill either....I think it's about 40 minutes from me.

Jamie

impressionist2
04-19-2003, 10:33 PM
Jamie, Yes, let's see if we can make that happen this summer. Ted thought you were right near Lake Peekskill. We try to get up there every few weeks and then they come here to visit.

What gorgeous scenery you have up there! Perfect plein air territory.

Thanks. I just started doing florals. That fellow hosting the plein air show in Bronxville gave me some good suggestions the other day about laying on the paint thicker and oddly enough it speeded up my florals! This is my third and I am loving it.

Renee

gnu
04-22-2003, 03:25 AM
I don't much like using olivy greens...yech..this is an unappealing colour in the extreme to me...(I will use it when I need to though)
(this colour looks hideous on me...maybe why I don't like it??
I have done quite a few limited pallette paintings...I like it..no not hard to me at all..
I like to use all the cool colours...or cool versions of these. my fav is cad yellow (the brighter the better!! :D) and the other colour I eat up is Cobalt blue..
I have just started trying straight primary rainbow colours in landscapes, with cools in background, warms in front and bold...

MarciaGayle
06-02-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by finemist
Good question... thanks for the post!

paint removal (when wet) or sanding (when dry).
Not to change the subject...but sanding when dry? never heard of this, sounds interesting, in what medium, tell more please.:)
Thanks,
-Marcia

MarciaGayle
06-02-2003, 01:36 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JamieWG
[B]

I love purple (dioxazine violet) as a main base color. I must have used nearly 1/4 tube of it here. Almost every color was mixed with purple:

Wow! I just had to comment on your painting :) This is reaaaaally beautiful, the colors look so brilliant and alive, it just pops!. :clap:
-Marcia

O'Connor
06-12-2003, 10:08 PM
:mad:
Hate pthalo green! Hate pthalo green! Bad! Bad pthalo! Every time I use it FOR ANYTHING it looks like a HUGE NEON FLASHING SIGN!
What in heaven's name is this color good for? How do I tame it?
It's Grumbacher pre-tested, which I thought should be a quality paint.
Is it me? Does pthalo hate me?

SanDL
06-12-2003, 10:23 PM
I hate brown, olive green, anything that looks like poop. Have I tried using it as a challenge? Yes, and I just painted it over. It's not me.

I love payne's grey. I use it all the time instead of black.
I love all blues except pthalo blue.