PDA

View Full Version : What are your 3 favourite colors & why

SillyBaZilly
09-09-2010, 05:42 PM
I know this won't be an easy post to respond to since there are so many beautiful and useful colors from a wide variety of different manufacturers to choose from, but I couldn't resist as I've been inspired lately by a particular stick. Well here goes, my three favourite, in order, including manufacturer and why.

# 1. Mt. Vision's 593 - Rose Earth:
I have fallen in love with color and find it so useful in the portrait work I've been doing lately. It's subtle hint of rosey/purple adds that little something extra to my skin tone palette not to mention how perfect it lays down on whatever surface I'm using, even with many layers already built up. This is my absolute favourite stick.

# 2. Rembrandt 408.3 - Raw Umber:
This greenish unmber is one of may favs when it comes to cooler shadows in the skin and find that I've been using it alot lately.

#3. Schmincke 003 B - Permanent Yellow Light:
I just got this stick today. Just looking at isnpired me and could only imagine how it would look in a landscape representing the sunlit green foliage. I don't do much when it comes to landscape painting but maybe this color will modivate me to do so.

Anyhow, hope everyone responds to this as color is a fun topic.

Nansketch
09-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Corey, hard to narrow it down to 3 colors. Appreciate you being so organized with make number and color -- I'll be more general.

1. Unison green-yellow (don't have the number) but I like just about any green/yellow --rembrandt, sennelier
2. Rembrandt dark purple -- I wish I knew the number because I love it - it is very subtle.
3. Sennelier dark blue -- I have a set of the darks and this is my fav of the group.

of course there are others . .
Nancy

robertsloan2
09-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Hard to come up with only three! But I can go by color description with the ones I wear out the fastest.

A light warm sky blue.

A deep dark green

A good light green, though I usually seem to modulate it with an orange now, I prefer having the insane bright acid spring green to one that's already pre-muted. I'd rather decide which areas get muted and which ones jump out to make your eyes bleed.

And/or a really deep violet to go with the deep dark green.

Or a good dark monochrome blue.

While we're at it throw in a deep dark red.

And a good dark brown...

Might as well get the five color Deep Darks set in Pans and put in Pthalo Blue Tint with it. See where this is going?

For real...

All of them. Every single one. I can never answer the question "What's your favorite color," it was always "everything."

SillyBaZilly
09-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Robert- Killer description of the " Good Light Green". I know that was an impossible question to ask, but am curious to see the responses.

CM Neidhofer
09-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Hmm...

Definitely #1....Terry Ludwig's eggplant dark purply color...I don't know the actual color name!!

#2 I agree, a good, bright yellow-green.

#3 Sennelier has a yummy lemon yellow that I love. I don't use it very often for anything, but I love the color! lol

Topdecker
09-12-2010, 02:15 AM
The first set of Richesons I got had no color numbers stamped into the pastels...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2010/186788-senn.JPG

My soft pastels are Senneliers (pictured) that came in a pair of half-stick sets of 80. The boxes came in no particular order and the half-sticks don't have a stamp or a paper wrapper.

So, even if I had 3 colors I loved, I would have no idea what to call them :(. There is a peach here that is killer and about dozen mousey neutrals of various tones that I just know will make any brighter colors super-stars if used right.

Back to the Senneliers... I picked up 2 half-stick sets of 80, with only the black and white sticks being dupes. Today I took them all out of the box and organized them. I organized via color wheel order with some tweaks - I added a neutrals section, an earth-color section, and a fairly smallish run of greys. And I had to hand wash the packing foam in order to cut down on color contamination. Point is, now I don't even know which set a given color came from... But at least they are in a usable state now.

Tim

JPQ
09-13-2010, 05:52 PM
These sennliers look really lovely this picture tells why are so popular... now i want see how reds/violets/purples show... ps. so many net pictures are not so nice when compared this picture.

Colourist52
09-16-2010, 05:26 AM
It's so hard to pick only three colours! I have a beautiful bright purple thats just about worn out but I just can't remember what brand of pastel it is. I keep a record now of every pastel I buy.

Art Spectrum Flinders Blue Violet (D520) is a great dark, very versatile.
Rembrandts blue/greens - 640.5 and 640.9.
Unisons bluish greens and their purples, and their oranges, reds, also most of the Schmincke purples, reds, bluish greens, I could go on forever!