PDA

View Full Version : In the Woods

Elsby
10-29-2002, 11:29 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2002/In_the_woods.jpg

Hi,

There is a project in the Acrylics forum which I liked (Autumn Acrylics). Obviously I am not painting with acrylics but I did like some of the reference photos so here is a painting loosely based on one of those. I might do some of the others too.

If anyone familiar with Painter knows how to achieve an acrylic affect, I'd be pleased to hear about the technique.

BTW I still haven't sorted out how to put a thumbnail on these messages. Do I simply have to upload a thumbnail I have created myself?

crazy_cat
10-30-2002, 04:46 AM
Hey Elsby! Wonderful work! You did this from a photo reference? Did you use any part of the photo for this pic? The reason I ask is they have a new sub forum in the Photography Forum that is for Digital Manipulations...meaning if you start with a digital photo or scan and do anything to it with software then it is a manipulation. They have some wonderful work over there and very talented artists. If you used a photo for the base or any part of a photo/scan for this then I would post a message there also.

plumpfairy
10-30-2002, 10:24 AM
:D Very nice Elsby!
Hmmmm....the thumbnail.....I forgot exactly, try going to MY WC, there's a place there somewhere where you can choose a thumbnail....then at the bottom of that page (I think) is a place to upload your own.
jana:D :clap: ;)

Elsby
10-30-2002, 11:44 AM
Hi CC,

I know about the new forum and have visited and will probably try my hand at some of those but this was not manipulated.

I don't quite know how to show the original for comparison unless I upload it from my HD but would prefer to refer you to the photo on WC. Anyway the point is it is not quite the same but was the idea for the composition.

I have since found the photo was called Aspens, I am sure my trees are not aspens; I don't know much about trees :(

Fairy, I have just found out how to do a few more things, just where you said it would be :)

Thanks both,

Elsby

fugitive
10-30-2002, 04:05 PM
as far as acrylic painting in painter, oil looks the same, the program doesn't care how long the real one's take to dry. I would use the impasto brushes.

Very nice

Elsby
10-30-2002, 04:54 PM
Greg,

Thanks for the tip. I might have tried the oils but probably not the impasto.

Elsby

crazy_cat
10-30-2002, 08:16 PM
I think you did a wonderful job!!:clap: :cat:

Elsby
10-31-2002, 12:16 AM
Thank you, CC

BTW I did upload an effort in the new forum in the "Man with a Plan" thread. My pic is "The Dying Goat"

It was fun playing with the 4 photos although the final image I created was not a happy one.

I am glad you liked the my pic here, thanks again.

Elsby

sassybird
11-01-2002, 04:43 AM
The tree trunks remind me of Aspins. The colors are very striking against the white/gray of the trunks. The only suggestion I have is to try to give a bit more detail to some of the leaves. Ummmm a hint of color mix to them instead of the solids you have used. I have no experience with digital programs, so I am speaking purely from a painters point of view.

Elsby
11-01-2002, 01:31 PM
I was so intent on getting different colours for the foliage as a whole I just did not look at the individual leaves, kind of not seeing the trees for the forest :)

Now I look again I can see that the foreground leaves do look very flat, solid colour and no shading or texture. I guess I stopped too soon. Obviously I am not going to paint detail on every leaf but I know you didn't mean that!!

Anyway, thank you Sassybird for helping me to see better!

Elsby