PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane was too close

BeyondTheNineSquares
10-29-2002, 10:49 PM
I was on a cruise recently, as you all know, and we passed close to the hurricane. Things could have gotten way too exciting!

crazy_cat
10-30-2002, 04:57 AM
Nice work! Hey I have been way too close to hurricanes where I live. I can relate to this pic! Good job!!:clap: :clap:

BeyondTheNineSquares
10-30-2002, 04:42 PM
Thanks Linda!

The place I dream of moving to someday is South Carolina my friends there have had to leave their home on ocassion, so I can imagine what you've been through.

It was a bit hard to walk on the ship, especially when we were leaving the theatre, but otherwise it was just a matter of being "rocked to sleep" the first night, as opposed to lifted up out of the ocean and crashed back down again, as in the horror stories I've heard.

Since it was my first cruise, I am quite relieved at that!

crazy_cat
10-30-2002, 05:05 PM
Well I am in NC. SC is great! Well except for the hurricaines. Floyd did me in. Nothing like coming back from vacation to find you have to walk in flood water up to your armpits for well over a mile to get to your house and then you can only see the top of your new car in the water....what a mess that was!

BeyondTheNineSquares
10-30-2002, 08:09 PM
OMG, that's aweful! My dearest friends relocated from Boston to SC, and I hadn't ever thought of the place until then. Now I spend two weeks a year there and just love it. I have commitments here at this time in my life that prevent me from moving there but someday I will. It might be much later in life when I retire. I could be "snow bird" and split my time between there and here. I've been to your lovely state too. My SC friend's mom lives there. I think I also passed through on a road trip to Tennessee a few years ago. I remember being on the Blue Ridge Parkway for more hours than I expected. That was partly due to it being sooooo beautiful and partly due to the fact that once you get on a mountain road, you can't always get off anytime soon! We knew nothing, just saw it, remembered it was supposed to be pretty (an understatement) and decided to drive there a little while. We figured a couple of hours. Silly. I think it turned into two days. I know it was more than one state, as well. My geography skills are pitiful, but NC could have been one of them. I know for sure that I went to a fourth of July music festival in Brevard a couple of years ago as the guest of my friend Wally's Mom's parents. (Wally's Mom is a WCer and got me hooked, and obviously is my SC friend)

I recommend to any who read this long winded dialog to go to both states and spend a while. If you go the the Blue Ridge Parkway, which I also recommend, in whatever state you find it, take a camera and a wide angle lens. I was so blown away that I couldn't even photograph it. I was overwhelmed by it's beauty. I'm smarter since then, and better with a camera. I'll have to go back there with my camera in hand! To think I was there in Autumn and didn't get pix!

:mad:

Oh, well. Live and learn!

TeAnne
10-30-2002, 08:42 PM
This is excellent. I got the msg right away.

BeyondTheNineSquares
10-30-2002, 08:45 PM
Thanks everyone!