PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Moleskine

robertsloan2
09-07-2010, 11:19 AM
I almost considered putting these in the Scribble Sketch Books thread, but that's for all the ProArt spiral ones, regardless of size. I use big and small ones.

This is for my pocket Moleskine, which usually lives in my vest pocket. I haven't touched it since April, it is about half full and has 182 or 192 very thin pages. Lots and lots of pages. I went back to it because it fell out into my bed and I found it while I was working on my Three Day Novel.

I also found out it works really well with the Big Brush Pitt Artist Pens, so I might keep it handy and do more Pitt pen drawings in it soon. Its pages are off white, very thin and I use just one side because a lot of them I use smudgy soft pencils and colored pencils. And because it has tons of pages of course.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2010/70184-Blue-Tree-Silhouettes-Pocket-Moleskine-Sept-2010.jpg
Blue Tree Silhouettes from Life
3 1/2" x 5 1/2"
Pitt Artist Pen, "Big Brush" that dark grayish blue color in the 12 color set.
Pocket Moleskine thin cream drawing paper
I saw the silhouette of some trees that are just starting to lose their leaves against a pale yellow-gold sky in the morning, and decided to sketch those from memory much later in the day. It caught the feel of them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2010/70184-Pecan-Tree-Trunk-Leaves-Nut-Pocket-Moleskine-Sept-2010.jpg
Pecan Tree Leaves, Nut and Trunk Section
3 1/2" x 5 1/2"
Pitt Artist Pen "Big Brush" 12 color set
Pocket Moleskine thin cream drawing paper
I got to a stuck point working on my novel and stared out the window. I drew the leaves, then did one of the nuts left over from last year that Sascha brought in for me when we moved in. Then finished the page sketching the forked part of the trunk from life with the somewhat lessened Virginia Creeper vine on it -- it hasn't been as bushy for about a month as it used to be, some leaves dropped off but it's still green.

So that's all the art I did this past three day weekend. But I also did a novel over 40,000 words and it surprised me by not being science fiction or fantasy! Dang. That was creepy! I like my villain though, he's seriously nasty.

rmcbuckeye
09-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Those pocket moleskine notebooks - Are they just very thin pages? Would you recommend them for ink/pencil sketches? Although I still yet have to finish my watercolor moleskine notebook... before I can get another type of notebook/sketchbook to experiment on. :)

robertsloan2
09-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Rachel, they're very thin pages. They're the Moleskine Notebook, not the Moleskine Sketchbook. The paper is smooth and very thin - very good for pencil and pen sketches, not much else. I'd suggest using it with your watercolor Moleskine for pencil and pen works, since the watercolor paper ones have fewer pages and you might as well save those for wet mediums (including watercolor pencils after a wash). Blick has them. The ones called "sketchbook" have much heavier cream colored smooth paper and fewer pages, this one was just Moleskine Notebook with thin paper and more pages, the Plain pages one. It also comes with grid, storyboard or lined paper.

rmcbuckeye
09-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks, Robert! Appreciate the help! :)

DrDebby
09-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Cool sketches. Love the pecan tree bits. Wish I had a pecan tree. Seriously, my favorite nut.

robertsloan2
09-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Thank you! We haven't gotten any pecans from them, but they're beautiful trees. We only find a few of them on the ground and they're not really edible by then. But they're beautiful.

I did another sketch in it today.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2010/70184-Davy-Lamp-Weekly-Drawing-Thread-Sept-6-12-2010.jpg
Davy Lamp in Beam of Sunlight
3 1/2" x 5 1/2"
Pitt Artist Pens, Big Brush set of 12
Pocket Moleskine, plain paper notebook (the thin paper one)
Photo reference by madmum from Weekly Drawing Thread Sept. 6-12.

DrDebby
09-08-2010, 08:52 PM
In never ceases to amaze me that when you look at some drawings up close, all it is, is scribbles. But when you see the whole, it's a very correct rendering. Great sketch.

virgo68
09-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Another set of solid little sketches Robert! Good to hear the novel writing went well also :)

robertsloan2
09-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Debby, thank you! Yep. I had to learn that, since I used to sketch by drawing very careful little textures down to the last detail. I spent forever on them and half the time they came out stiff with bad proportions and too little contrast.

Jackie, thank you! I'm enjoying this little book. The heck, I should fill it up and then I could get a fresh one, right?

One more time with the Big Brush pens - the canisters!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2010/70184-Canisters-Big-Brush-Moleskine-Pocket.jpg
Copper Canisters
3 1/2" x 5 1/2"
Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pens "Big Brush" 12 color set
Moleskine Pocket Notebook plain paper (the thin paper one)
Photo reference by edtree for Weekly Drawing Thread, Sept. 6-12. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684291)

Vivien Maloney
09-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Robert - I love your work with Pitt pens. After using them for some time, I'm still not very confident with them and now only seem to use the very fine tip one. But you make a wonderful job of everything you sketch! This will be another Journal I'll keep looking at!

Strange to think of the Northern Hemisphere going into Autumn as Spring is finally here for us, with lots of lambs being born on the farms all around us,(we're still having bursts of Wintery weather sometimes though). Glad to hear your 3 day Novel writing went well, 40,000 words is a lot of writing!

robertsloan2
09-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Thank you! Don't give up on the Pitt pens, it takes time to get used to them enough to be confident. It's almost like watercolor in a way, because I have to think about where I'm going to put the next stroke and about how hard to press to get it thick or thin, exactly when to lift up... actually I'm having an easier time with the Big Brush ones because they're so obviously so wide when I go wide with them that it's easier to tell what I'm doing.

I also really have to pay attention to reserving white and light areas. I've done that for a long time in watercolor, but recently have gotten lazier there because I can lift color. Not possible in pen sketching, so that's disciplined me to accept the bad lines and wrong lines, work with them as they are and see what I can turn it into.

It's fun remembering that seasons are opposite at the other end of the world - and to know we can stay in touch this easily. That's the best part of it.

Yep, 40,000 words is a lot of writing. It still is even with all the practice I've done in all these years. It's fun though.

DrDebby
09-10-2010, 04:01 AM
At first glance those canisters don't look to be done with brush pens at all. Amazing. Don't know what I thought you'd used, but didn't expect the brush pens.

robertsloan2
09-10-2010, 10:29 PM
They are so bold and so easily controllable once I got used to handling the pressure to get a thick and thin line where I wanted it. The more I use them, the more fun they are - and sketches with those Pitt pens always scan true, I don't lose whole areas to their being too light to show up.

virgo68
09-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Definitely look like copper Robert - not just the colour but the way you have used it - wonderful stuff! I have some of those pens too but got put off the first few times I used them, must give them another go ;)

Sizun
09-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Hi Robert, I love the way you render copper with the Pitt Artists' Pens. I 've used some in the past, but only in shades of grey. I like using them but I think they don't last long enough. How fast they dry up is a weekness.

Keep on the good work. It's very lively.

robertsloan2
09-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Jackie, thank you! Give them another go, it's tricky getting them to perform but the more I use them, the better results I get.

Sizun, it's possible yours were dried out or old before you got them. It seems odd to me since my big set didn't dry out for years and years and the first ones I bought are still good. Either that or you sketched so much more and so much larger than I did that I'm not really a good example of using them up completely... but it still seems odd that they dry up fast when they did the opposite for me.

The new Big Brush ones have huge reservoirs though, about 7 or 8 times as much ink, so they should last a good long time.

JTMB
09-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Hi Robert,

Well, looks like I'll have to add Pitt brush pens to my 'gotta have' list after seeing your work with them here...! :)

I've used the regular Pitt pens, and I like all the Faber Castell products I've used - particularly the Polychromos colored pencils.

robertsloan2
09-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Those are great ones. I just got out my set again tonight, decided that I wanted to use them on something soon. Faber Castell has some great products. I love the Pitt pens for sketching above any sort of markers. That they're archival and lightfast means a great deal to me.

I never know whether something I do is one that I want to keep or want to go back to and work up from. So things in more ephemeral materials like markers, I hesitate to use them.

Whisperwood
09-20-2010, 10:14 AM
LOVE this little journal! Partly due to the small size, I like "little things"! And the fact that you need to stick to pen/pencil... I've not done much with the pitt pens but do like them so far! Great little journal!

robertsloan2
06-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Rachel, thank you! Sorry to take so long to answer. This little pocket Moleskine got put away in a pocket and I forgot to use it again for the longest time.

Found it again while I was sorting stuff and did a little Ari sketch from life in it today, using Tombow pens. He was laying in the bathroom resting his tummy on the cool linoleum floor. I finally managed to get the values of his darkening fur in the gray scale pens, he's eleven years old and very dark now. I can't imagine how dark he'll get when he's 22... that'll be a trip!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2011/70184-6-16-2011-Ari_from_Life.jpg
Ari from Life
2" x 3"
Tombow dual tip brush pens gray scale set
Pocket Moleskine thin paper notebook.

JTMB
06-17-2011, 01:43 AM
Nice to see Ari again, Robert! Good job as usual.

Joan T
06-17-2011, 11:40 AM
As always, your sketches are great to see!!!

DrDebby
06-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Lovely Ari sketch.

robertsloan2
06-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Purr thank you! Finished this page today with a sketch of a kitten who got beaten and is recovering at an animal shelter. Dexter's mother and sibling both died from the beating.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2011/70184-6-18-2011-Dexter-Kitten.jpg
Dexter the Kitten
Tombow dual tip brush pens
Pocket Moleskine notebook, thin paper one.

Whisperwood
06-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Great Ari sketch as usual Robert! I do love when they darken as they get older!
Poor little kitten... he'll be ok! I just don't understand how some people can be so cruel.
Keep up the great work :)

DrDebby
06-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Poor kitty. Hope he finds a new forever home full of love and snuggles.

JTMB
06-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Dexter is cute as a bug - I hope he recovers fully.

Joan T
06-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Oh!!! I just want to snuggle with them!!!

eyepaint
06-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Hooray for the kitties!