PDA

View Full Version : Conte crayons

Big Jack
10-29-2002, 06:31 PM
I know that there is no such thing as a dumb question, but this one feels slightly retarded. Are Conte crayons pastels? Are they similar to Nupastels?

I read a post that said Nupastels were great for newbies. I don't have any Nupastels, but I do have a little box of Conte crayons bits and pieces that was given to me.

Jack

KarenU
10-29-2002, 06:38 PM
Hi Jack :D Conte Crayons are similar to NuPastels however, I find them to be a bit more waxy than the NuPastels. NuPastels are the long rectangular harder pastel sticks. I use them often for doing the beginning phases of a painting, blocking in large color areas with the side of the stick. They are also useful for adding detail as they can be sharpened to a point using a craft knife or a piece of sandpaper. I've completed many pieces using only the NuPastels and no other soft pastels. I believe the NuPastel line has about 96 colors. There is another similar pastel called Polychromos by Faber Castel...I believe their color line is about 120 or so? I find the Polychromos to be slightly softer than the NuPastels. I'm not quite sure how many colors you can find in the Conte line.

Big Jack
10-29-2002, 08:14 PM
Karen, thanks for the info. Which would you recommend for someone just beginning (trying out) pastels? Conte? Nupastel? or Faber-Castell?

Jack

jackiesimmonds
10-30-2002, 07:42 AM
these three makes are very similar, and will do the same job, so it really doesn't matter. As a general rule of thumb ... always buy the best you can afford! Softer pastels are more expensive, but have greater covering power, and they work well with cheaper pastels. Sticking with cheaper pastels means that you are denying yourself the pleasure of the creamier ones, that's all. Butyou can still produce a good pic!

Jackie

Redsy333
10-30-2002, 09:14 AM
Welcome aboard Jack!!!:D
Just starting out is comparable to walking into the worlds largest car lot and not knowing which to choose;)! hehe
There is a website, www.dakotapastels.com/ they have a listing of soft to hard pastels. Sometimes seeing them visually helps you decide too.
I would recommend going there and seeing what the descriptions of each say. From there you can venture to more sites for more values. If you are close to a supply store , good on you, if not and you plan on shopping online..do a good search on sales and you can really find great deals. Often better then if you buy thru a local dealer.
I personally recommend starting somewhere in the middle grade, like a Rembrandt. They are right in the middle as far as texture and they can give you better control for just starting out.
I still use them :D
My collection consists of Rembrandts, Nupastel, Unisons(favs), and some schmincke's! I also work with Pastel Pencils (Carbothellos Stabillo)
There is heaps and heaps of information and useful tips to be gained from just reading through this forum. I hope you can find the time to look , you wont regret one minute of it:D
If you decide to shop online just yell, I can send you some links to great online suppliers.:D
Cheers,
Redsy
PS. Enjoy your new addiction;)