PDA

View Full Version : Winsor & Newton Visual Diary - Black Paper

virgo68
09-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Another Sydney purchase! I know, I am groaning "not another sketchbook" to myself as I type this :o

I have seen these black visual diaries a few times and hesitated to get one, but I finally gave in :rolleyes: I am not sure how often I will work in this one (I really don't want to send you all to sleep :crossfingers: ), and initially the work is likely to be experimental till I discover what works and what doesn't!

It is A4 (210 x 297mm) 140gsm acid free paper, reasonably smooth. I bought a white and metallic red pen to try out in it at the same time. This first page is xposted in the Calligraphy forum, it is the September challenge to use the word September or something about the month. It is all just free-hand doodling till I get around to using my calligraphy skills again :wink2:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2010/139618-calligraphy_challenge_001.jpg

mhimeswc
09-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Nice arrangement of September related facts. You have a good eye for composition. And your pens seem to work great on the black paper. Looking forward to seeing more.

DrDebby
09-06-2010, 09:50 PM
When you are in the mood for a new gel pen, silver is awesome on black paper, even better than white.

The September page is great. Like the different fonts you created and all the little tid bits about the month.

vhere
09-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Nice arrangement of September related facts. You have a good eye for composition. And your pens seem to work great on the black paper. Looking forward to seeing more.

I agree

rmcbuckeye
09-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Love it. September is my Birthday month. :) Great use of fonts, etc.

robertsloan2
09-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Jackie, this is spectacular calligraphy. I love it. The layout, the details, the balance and choice of hands... all of it is so beautiful. Please do keep using this book! There are other things you can use on black paper besides gel pens, though gel pens are great on it of course. I'll be experimenting with a variety of them on mine.

I'm awed by your calligraphy though, downright humbled. I do a bit myself, most of it Irish Half-Uncial, sometimes other medieval hands copied carefully out of the book for this project or that. Yours are so lively and elegant and so varied, all balanced so well, all kerned perfectly! I used to be a typesetter too and know how difficult that can be sometimes. I still have trouble placing my texts even if I'm just using plain block letters... but this is fantastic.

I would love to see more like this, including some grotesques and ornaments. You can also use gouache on white paper, if it's 140gsm it'll stand up to that beautifully, so a bas de page or other miniature would work with calligraphic elements. Wonderful page!

You're tempting me to get out the Bombay India Inks and dip pens to go at mine next time...

Vivien Maloney
09-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Jackie, I love the calligraphy. The white and red pens work well on the black pages. I really like this and will follow this Journal with great interest.

jacquip
09-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Jackie awesome calligraphy. That page looks stunning, so creative. The colours work so well on the black. I look forward to seeing what else you do in here, you are a woman of many talents :)