PDA

View Full Version : toys --got em?

hummingbird
10-29-2002, 11:04 AM
I guess I'm being nosy here but I want to know if alot of you have toys ...not your kids toys...your own toys. The reason I ask is because alot of times I've seen programs on TV where they go into some of the largest computer companies and its amazing how many desks have toys all over them. These are places where there is alot of brainstorming done. There was one company, and shoot I forget which one, where there was actually a room where the employees went and just goofed off. They had those big huge bouncy balls in them you could sit on and all kinds of stuff. The company felt it was important to creativity.

OK we're artists, not computer people (well some are)...but I know I got some silly stuff around here. And I think it helps. I don't think creativity is all about sweating out ideas. I think alot of it comes when we are just foolin around.

Anybody want to fess up? I'll start first. I got Piglets, a few Pez dispensers, "Peanuts" lunchboxes, a Furbee, and some stuffed animals on my computer desk and in the area where I paint. Oh and trolls --wasn't allowed them as a kid so got them now. Almost forgot about the trolls till I got up and went in that room. OK so what do you got?

livenlearn
10-29-2002, 11:23 AM
Toys are a must! I'm 32 years old and refuse to grow up and let the kids have all the fun. And lets face it, there are some toys out there today I would have sold my brother to have when I was a child. Hahaha!

My desk at work as well as home both have toys such as... Little stuffed animals, mr. potatoe head, Monster Inc characters, alien and ufo figures, puzzle cubes, super balls (but they alway seem to disappear after a while) my tin wind-up chicken, and things I have made such as my paperclip person... just way too many toys to mention. :p

...then I have my asthetic things such as my statue of david, my elf figures, my silk flower arrangements, figures of turtles, hawk, deer...glass bottles, old lanterns, wooden model ships, river rocks, candles... and more. *shrug*

Tehehe! :D

Rose Queen
10-29-2002, 12:44 PM
Ack! I can hardly find the top of my desk as it is! But I will own up to having a purple-hatted bear on my monitor and a wooden horse on wheels on my desk...

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

Koert
10-29-2002, 12:58 PM
i don't have toys
if a kid ever dares to touch one of my stuffed animals, he's gonna start crying every time he sees a teddy bear for the rest of his life
:)

Wayne Gaudon
10-29-2002, 01:39 PM
hmmmm .. I must be a degerate .. I have no toys :crying:

I have a piece of red tape on my wall to remind me that I must not get upset at work because work life is a constant stream of Red Tape .. useless rules that exist because they are rules and for no other reason than to p### Off anyone with half a grain. Getting upset ruins creativity!

hummingbird
10-29-2002, 01:53 PM
I shoulda known this would be a dangerous question...more things I'm gonna want to blow money on. Liveandlearn...I gotta get me a Mr. Potato Head now. I remember that guy! Yea that would be kewl. I've been spying this bobble head doll tho. I don't know why either cause I don't like bobble head dolls. But its *Gumby* and Gumby's got a grass skirt on! I keep hoping the store just sells the darn thing cause I'm wearing down all my excuses not to get it, LOL.

Rose Queen, I used to collect bears. Those are fun. They've gotten so expensive now tho.

Koert -LOLOLOL!

Wayne that red tape idea is pretty kewl. Yep, I can't do anything when I'm upset either. Just wrecks everything.

Pat

impressionist2
10-29-2002, 02:03 PM
I have my dollys! All girls with parasols but I am thinking they need a guy soon. My favorite one is a talking doll, sort of like "Talking Tina" in the Twilight Zone episode.

My husband and son won't let me bring them out into the living room because they said they are "Staring" at them. :rolleyes:

I sneak her out for my grandson to play with. He love her and goes and retrieves her from the shelf. This drives my son nuts. :D

Renee

busy91
10-29-2002, 02:46 PM
My work desk is toyless, my home desk is also toyless. :(

Mich451
10-29-2002, 02:59 PM
Does my tinyhead give any clues...?

Nihil_Initio
10-30-2002, 12:23 AM
I have a Diablo II, Warcraft II, macScrabble games on my 'puter. Some Hawaiian statutes, my sewing machine, A rubix's cube (its the devil, I tell ya!) and tons of sketchbooks and pencils. All my stuffed animals are in storage.

impressionist2
10-30-2002, 08:25 AM
Pat, This thread idea is Brilliant!! The whole point of a Creativity Forum is to OPEN and EXPAND the mind to NEW ideas.

Why can't we adults have toys??? Why did we stop buying them?

When was the last time you laughed so hard your stomach ached and tears rolled down your face? Laughed so hard your face hurt and you couldn't catch your breath?

What happened to those days we spent day dreaming out of the window and watched cartoons?

Or held our tongue out to catch the snow? Or hid behind the chimney outside during ring-a-levio? Or chased the Good Humor man ( or whomever) down the street?

One remnant of childhood for me, is watching the Christmas tree lights at night, and sipping hot Cocoa and eating homemade chocolate chip cookies.

That's it. Next time I am at the store, I am buying "Jacks" and "Pick-Up Sticks" for me!

Renee

hummingbird
10-30-2002, 08:53 AM
Morning Everyone!

Renee--cracking up about your dollys staring at everyone! I think I remember that Twilight Zone episode you were talking about...now I got this mental image of your doll in my mind, LOL Twilight Zone was a kewl show.

Mich--LOLOL about the nuclear potato head! Too funny!

back to Renee-- I think there is something to seeing the world as a child does and toys help us do that. I'm trying to remember the last time I laughed like you are talking about...think it was quite awhile ago. I used to love chasing the Good Humor man, forgot about that till you mentioned it :) I've got Halloween lights up outside and I'm enjoying those. Halloween is my favorite holiday and sitting outside looking at those lights brings back fond memories.

Well guys, I cashed in my change jar yesterday. $56.00 --Whoo Hoo!!! Spent alittle on art supplies, natch. Got some left so I guess I'm gonna go get that Gumby doll. Its been haunting me :) Gotta have toys. Gotta play. Good for loosening up!

Pat

hummingbird
10-30-2002, 09:05 AM
I just remembered something else. A couple weeks ago I was telling my neighbor about this Gumby doll I want at the coffee store I go to. Well her boss has a Gumby --differant one than I saw-- and it goes around the world. When someone in the office goes on vacation, they take the Gumby with. Gumby's been everywhere and the coworkers take pics of Gumby at monuments and stuff to show where he's been. My neighbor took Gumby to Paris when she went last and got some good pics of Gumby's trip to Paris, LOL

I think its interesting how toys are being used in companies and how they help creativity.

Pat

Mich451
10-30-2002, 09:23 AM
please don't hate me...

impressionist2
10-30-2002, 09:41 AM
My name is Talking Tina, and you'd better be nice to me!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2002/TalkingTina.jpg

Is it any wonder my husband and son refuse to allow her in the living room? :D

Renee

ikre8t
10-30-2002, 10:32 AM
First of all I want to thankyou for this wonderful Forum. It is such a breath of fresh air to drop in for a spell.:p

Gumby yes, a necessity he sits w/ the mexican dream dog. Oh, and can't forget the wonderful cloth doll (my mom had it made to look like me) I keep it in the closet.......my kids like to investigate the whole voodoo thing. Ha! of course I always keep them wondering. And all of my wonderful worry dolls.........the kids think they escape the basket at night and climb about the houseplants and such..........They do you know!
Thanks for letting me share..

Ron van den Boogaard
10-30-2002, 10:34 AM
Toys? let me see, model cars (dinky toys, matchbox) mostly Lotus race-cars. A stuffed Piglet and Pooh sitting in a Vitra model of a Marcel Beuer chair. a radio-controlled car (used to be my sons but I nicked it), plastic and wood models of racecars, trucks and sailing ships still waiting to be built. That's basically it

Ron vdB

hummingbird
10-30-2002, 12:26 PM
Mich--hahahaha! --Gumby!!!! :) As soon as this phone repair guy gets here and fixes my phone, I'm going out to buy one.

Renee-- Yep, its her face! She is very similar to what I remember about that Twilight Zone episode, haha. She's cute tho.

ikre8t--Neat toys! And Gumby too :) I had worry dolls, those are kewl. LOLOLOL about them escaping and climbing the houseplants!! Yep, I think they do!

Ron --pretty good collection of toys there :) My Piglets are waving hey to your Piglet and Pooh. Bet those radio control cars are fun.

This is great reading these posts :clap:

Pat

hummingbird
10-30-2002, 04:14 PM
ta-da!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2002/Gumby.JPG

Ron van den Boogaard
10-31-2002, 08:27 AM
yeah, the r/c car shure is fun. But I forgot the small collection of kaleidoscopes (from 25 cents cardboard to the 150 dollar goldplated replica of an english original), it also includes plastic monoculars and other "things"to look through.

Ron vdB (http://home.wanadoo.nl/brainbox)

kelleybee
10-31-2002, 08:39 AM
Bubbles, Bubbles, and more BUBBLES....and my stuffed froggie. Gotta have bubbles..my buddy..I blow 'em when I'm stuck for an idea or at a BORING meeting, or just for the joy of it....I love bubbles....:clap: :clap: :cool:

belladonna
11-12-2002, 11:30 AM
I have a bean bag Lizard with neat eyebrows and shiny spots

belladonna
11-12-2002, 11:40 AM
and an Alf....

belladonna
11-12-2002, 11:44 AM
The Bean bag Lizard sits on my drafting table on the base of the lamp there, and alf sits on my scanner, (also in my studio), and I have this collection of 'stuff' on the tray that holds my paint and brushes...

Marquisina
11-12-2002, 06:41 PM
Oh I love my toys!!!! I have stuffed animals ( but theyre still in storage) I have a couple of antique dolls and a whole collection of those McDonalds wind up toys!!! I wish I could get my scanner working so I could show ya some!

What happened to those days we spent day dreaming out of the window and watched cartoons?

Uhmmmm.....you mean last Saturday??????

LOL!

Marquis:cat:

Tay
11-12-2002, 09:07 PM
OOoooh, this is too weird. Gumby has been sitting atop my computer now through three releases of windows.

I have four kids and it is great. You wouldn't believe all the neat stuff I buy for 'them'. When I get blocked or too stressed to paint I just pull out the crayons or finger paints or the magnadoodle or markers, for the kids of course. My kids also help me to remember that anything can be art. This week we are making mosaics from beans. Next week a pinata. The fun never ends.

bethg
11-12-2002, 11:26 PM
I have an old cabbage patch kid, an old vinyl doll named Jenny (made by Fisherprice in the really early 80's maybe even 78 or 79...don't know what they were called) And a bunch of butterflies on my wall. Stuffed ones, two made out of metal,and a heck of a lot of feathered ones.

The dolls were from when I was child, and I kept them. They definatly are not in great shape (especially Jenny's hair...it was corn silk and I washed it way more then it should of been!!!) but I like them. I don't know if they spark creativity but they are conforting to have around.

Beth

Pilan
11-13-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by busy91
My work desk is toyless, my home desk is also toyless. :(

something wrong with you girl! get a toy :D . I have me a beanie bear march of dimes. I did have three and my granddaughter stole them. They are somewhere in her toybox. I do have a big bear with a big ragdoll. Both I bought this last summer. the bear is an antique and hes got personality and the rag doll does too but they are too big to sit on my pc.
They have their own chair that they sit in. I just have my march of dimes bear sitting on my pc. I used to have a mcdonalds macaw bird that when you bent its beak down it would squeak. That must have gone in the toybox too.

Toys are great, really! I love dollys as well. A dolly would fit on your monitor, yes that would work. go find a nice sweet dolly!
I have a red ball with jacks too. Its fun to sit on the kitchen floor with my granddaughter and play jacks :evil: cause i win all the time I am sooo good at it :D i like to jump rope too :) . memories ahhh memories.

Pilan

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2002/mybear.jpg

Zaphonia
11-15-2002, 01:17 AM
toys.. tee hee.. i have a million :).. teddy bear ive had since i was like 3... a teddy bear i got for my bday last year... a bunch of things i won out of those little machines in the malls *showed up the guy by winning everytime when he always lost ;)*.. my backpack is now a spongebob squarepants backpack with a bob the builder clip and an eeyore clip on it.. ive got a stuffed cat on my bed.. a little chicken that poops out gum balls *thats always entertaining when im bored :)*.. and kids books! yay books! french and english, though the best is still the lorax.. can never beat out dr suess! and some other stuff but hey.. who needs to know EVERYTHING ;)

hummingbird
11-15-2002, 08:03 AM
This is great reading what toys everyone has. Definately not just for kids. Love the photos too! The bean bag lizard is really cute and so is the March of Dimes teddy bear :) Hey, Gumby is weighing in pretty strong too :) I love reading all these responses! If its true that creativity needs generous doses of play (and I believe that is true) then we're doing pretty good! Keep em coming!

Pat

Serenity
11-16-2002, 05:56 AM
Okay, that does it! I gotta get me some toys!

Serena :cat:

little dreamer
11-23-2002, 01:54 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2002/toy.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2002/gr.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2002/toy_t.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2002/toy_th.jpg
~three in one toy, little red rh, granny n' the wolf~

Grendel
11-23-2002, 03:58 PM
Ha...toys...right up my alley!
I work at a Daycare center so I have the ultimate excuse for toys at work. About once a month I take my group of kids and we go shopping for a new toy "for them" ;)...yesterday we bought a "dirt track racer" thing, (but the two cars didnt work so we used hotwheels instead lol) The other day one of the children looked at me thoughtfully for a moment then asked.."Mikey...are you a kid?" :p.
At home I keep a few "figures" from comics, anime, and movies...Devilman, The Maxx...maybe I'll add a pic or two later. Very fun thread...but now I want a gumby :(
Gren

DesertDreamer
11-28-2002, 11:02 AM
Nifty thread!!! With Christmas approaching, I always find myself torn. My inner child is yelling "I WANT THAT!" and I often find myself inflicting stuff on my kids because *I* think it's cool. Kids are an excuse to buy more toys, right???

This year my son played right into my hands. He wants the K'nex roller coaster set. Woohoo!

My own toys??? Well, my tools and torch for making glass beads probably qualifies. I certainly think of my artwork as "play." In terms of official toys...I have a small stash of Legos that are all mine. And a yo-yo I've had since I was 14 (Duncan butterfly). I broke down and shared my vintage Matchbox cars with my son last year. He thought it was hysterical that a girl had cars. :rolleyes:

Oh! and my Spirograph. It's living in my daughter's room right now, but it's MINE MINE MINE! I also keep a mini Etch-a-Sketch in the car for when my sweetie is driving and I'm bored.

Taminka
11-29-2002, 05:36 AM
Always have little things around me :)

tbezesky
12-03-2002, 06:42 PM
This was a common practice in places that I have worked. A multimedia company and a computer game company.
I have always loved characters, and have done character design.
Here are some of the figurenes I have in my office.

tbezesky
12-03-2002, 06:43 PM
and more...

tbezesky
12-03-2002, 06:49 PM
This was a common practice in places that I have worked. A multimedia company and a computer game company.
I have always loved characters, and have done character design.
Here are some of the figurenes I have in my office.

amo
12-04-2002, 01:40 AM
Toys? What's that? Oh, those things that are strewn all over my house, from one end of the floor to the other? No, I don't have any of those on my desk. :)
I've got my own ones, too (not just the ones I've got to pick up for others). Half a shelf in my bookcase is taken up with a doll's house (one room). It's inhabited by Harold and Martha and Baby Emily. Sometimes I'm nice and share, and let my daughter change the scene in the box (but only because she's old enough to be careful).
And Marbles- I love marbles! I've got some cobalt blue ones, solid glass. I think I swiped them from one of my kids. They sit on the kitchen window sill, just being beautiful...

babacita
12-04-2002, 04:47 PM
Love this subject! I've got snoopy's, balls, and a nice gargoyle collection as well as unique and just plain weird drawings and artwork. Ohhh also some bouncy things that you wind up. They all helps get the juices flowing!!

whitehawk
12-10-2002, 08:46 PM
I have a stuffed Fractured Fairey from Bullwinkle that my brother gave me for my birthday. She sits behind me and looks over my shoulder while I paint. Also have some glass marbles that have beautiful rich colors. I love to sit and look at them and drink them in. My partner makes dollhouses and furniture, so I have a miniature bedroom set that she made for me.

TeAnne
12-19-2002, 04:01 AM
I have all my pussycat ornaments :)

beloved
12-27-2002, 02:13 PM
I have a Dexter Robot... a stuffed spaceman, my own Buffy the Vampire Slayer board game, a playstation2 (I "allow" my son to use it), a petsmart talking sock puppet, a Scooby Doo Velma figurine, stuffed things and dolls, American McGee's Alice on my pc, and my latest toy, the Graphire tablet. :) And I'm 35... eek, almost 36. :( I had to teach my kids how to be kids. That stupid Barney show wasn't getting the job done.

I also stuff just for looks, rocks, shiney things, stars, candles, ornaments, and snowglobes.

jageo
12-28-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by impressionist2
When was the last time you laughed so hard your stomach ached and tears rolled down your face? Laughed so hard your face hurt and you couldn't catch your breath?

What happened to those days we spent day dreaming out of the window

I don't have toys, but this part of the thread really caught me. I have great respect for a good laugh's restorative powers and have no qualms about laughing out loud. I recall with absolute clarity a very bad stretch at work when a co-worker made me laugh so hard. Everything and everyone became a little bit brighter, and work was much improved. A year later I went to him and thanked him for such a good memory. I was thinking about this just the other day - i should thank him again! :)

I also firmly believe in dreaming out the window. I may not find time everyday, but as often as I can, and I don't regret it as lost time at all.

JA

NewCreation
12-31-2002, 06:13 PM
I have a 2 year old, and I have to admit that I LOVE playing with his toys, watching his videos and playing his music. Veggie tales and Thomas the Tank Engine are faves right now. For Christmas he got a table and track to go with his Thomas trains. I love to run the trains around the track myself.
I have laetly become fascinated by marbles. I have even started making them. I made one today that I think came out rather well. I'll post it when it comes out of the annealing cycle.

Allison Turner
12-31-2002, 09:49 PM
Oh this is so much fun. Can I play???
I have sitting here with me ...

a magic 8 ball...
"Scorch" the dragon beanie baby...
A black cat candle that's about a foot tall...
a couple of really tall witch dolls...
a raven that is perched on top of my window...
tons of gargoyles... even my curtain rings are gargoyles...
a rock fountain...
a sword with golden dragon wings my son gave me...
leopard print cups and bowls for all my pens and junk...
a yin yang mouse pad...
Vampire Troll dolls...
Candle, candles, candles...all shapes and sizes.
My office/ bead studio is small but i have TONS of counter space and shelves.
I have another studio in my basement for Lampworking and Fusing glass and that's just another story.
It's just LOADED with "stuff".
The rest of the house is full of goodies too.
I even have a full size knight in armour in the living room. hehe.

My grand kids love it here!!!!
:D

Gaylart
01-04-2003, 09:52 PM
This is the first time I have visited this categorie. Ha! This is a riot! I have a rubber CatDog on my desk. That cartoon cracks me up!:D

debi-d
01-06-2003, 07:33 PM
for my birthday I got a airbrush with the money my folks gave me, for christmas my husband bought me an air compressor. Yeah.. I was so excited, Im sure not many people had that on their list from santa.
debi

bikevstar
01-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Hey,

Believe it or not I got an airbrush a little while ago and the compressor about 1 year ago. I haven't picked it up yet...too much on my plate.

Enjoy the new toy. Let me know how it goes. I even have a good selection of paint.

Kellly

debi-d
01-13-2003, 09:57 AM
since I bought the da** thing. I have been down to the art store twice to get advice. FIrst off the paint they sold me at lomis and tole was too thick. even though I was thinnning it with medium. But the independant I buy most of my supplies from is one of the most patient people I have ever dealt with. On sat he helped me take it apart and showed me how to clean it and put it back togeather properly.
Iwill master this thing, i will I will I will.
debi

bikevstar
01-13-2003, 01:39 PM
You go!!!

You will master it. If you just follow the lessons that are rec. than you'll learn in no time. All the lessons do is teach you to do the basics to master most of it, like circles, shading, and lines. I took an airbrush two day course with Cesar Santander and he told me the paint to water ratio is about 5 drops of paint to 20 drops of water. He didn't use any airbrush medium, just water. That paint to water ratio is a starting point but pretty damn close! Good luck and stick with that store if they're willing to support you like that.

Keep me updated on your progress!

Kelly

baquitania
01-16-2003, 10:50 PM
I gotta Burger King "tigger" doll they gave away... Okay I made my cousin Rachael buy it for me... *hides head in shame* And Elvis doll from Sherville in Australia, and a Dragon from Draigathar for my last birthday

PC Games: Icewind Dale 1 & 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Throne of Darkness, Throne of Bhaal, Age of Empires 2, Age of Conquerors, The Sims Living Large, No One Lives Forever, Freedom Force, and Neverwinter Nights...

Illegal PC games: too many to name...

About 300 comicbooks in plastic bags...

Scrabble, Uno, Charades, and ofcourse my 12 year ongoing Sunday night Dungeons & Dragons game (sort of like poker night out with the boys... slay a few monsters, eat some chinese, etc)

In my defense... I never win

Bobby

Lady Carol
01-20-2003, 11:09 PM
My desk at work is loaded.

I have a frog,
A lymphocyte (I am a scientist)
I have a small ball which I often chuck around my office
I have assorted animals which hold notes
pens in the shapes of bones
pens that are shaped like syringes
Games on the computer as well

Carol

shrinkinviolet
02-15-2003, 02:18 AM
I have a collection of porcelain dolls and a few teddy bears. I also have a collection of carved folk art toys that I love. Creativity and playing with toys just seem to go together. This is my favorite toy...the chickens peck at the grain as you twirl the rock round and round beneath the paddle.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2003/18123-smaller_peck_chick.jpg

bill Scoggins
02-17-2003, 10:09 PM
I make my money as a social worker to feed my addictions and obsessions ( the important stuff like music, art and creativity). I have a collection of Pez (8 or 9), Simpsons Halloween figures and a dashboard Virgin Mary on my desk. At home it's worse, I have GI Joes (12 inch only), Pee Wee Herman, more Pez, more Simpsons, Scooby Doo, Sam Cobra, and a ton of other stuff. I am over 40 Years old and I used to be bothered by what my coworkers thought but now I don't care. I am not the least bit ashamed of my facination with toys. I plan to continue this until I am not able.

kduncan
02-19-2003, 04:48 PM
Toys.. mmm.. puzzles.. lots of puzzles. I like puzzles. And then there's Magic Mosaic, Rush Hour, Izzi (1 and 2, but I like 1 better) marbles, and my growing collection of mini Beanie cats.

Kookie
02-21-2003, 09:43 PM
hahahahahahahaha!!! I have toys ALL over the place, so does my husband and both the stepkids....it's a toy store here...at work, I have stuffed animals, fingerpuppets...I have squishy stress-ball type cars...I have a turtle with a shakey head and a tiny corona bottle, my girlfriend brought back from mexico...keeps you young, remembering the innocence of being a kid, how to laugh at nothing and find even the smallest thing beautiful!!! I totally died laughing when I thought of the staring dolls tho..and then to SEE her...Renee, you are TOTALLY my kind o'gal!!
What a great discussion!

Lara
:p :) :D :D :D

Adrienne
02-22-2003, 02:11 AM
I love toys of all kinds. I have lots of rainbow striped balls for my cat, and everything that comes in the door has to FIRST be examined for its potential as a cat toy. Got some small size brightly transparent bobbles that hold a piece of paper. Turns out they are too small to hold up a very heavy piece of paper, but they are PERFECT cat toys so they didn't go back to Office Depot after all :cat:

I've always loved gadgets, all my life. When all my friends were playing with barbies (which I always felt were evil and guilt-inducing ;) because who could ever look like that), I was playing with my Etch-A-Sketch - until I wore out the little wire things and it didn't work very good.

And I buy things for my computer just like I buy things for my cat!!! I gave my computer a bunch of games, plus, of course, a Wacom. I can't get over the software they've come up with. I've been a geek since the early 70's and therefore remember when computer screens were these dull dark gray things with ugly green blocky letters on them - and that was it. Not only that, but they were housed on entire floors of buildings and you had to wear a parka to work around them because they had to refrigerate them to keep 'em going.

Now I have this giant monitor on my artwork computer and a fair size one on my other computer, and both have all these glorious colors and it just blows me away. What a generation to be alive!!!

And my favorite game to play when my cat falls asleep is "Painter7" on my computer, with my Wacom......

No chemicals, tons of fun, I can't believe how lucky we are to live in this age...

Peace,

Adrienne

Adrienne
02-22-2003, 04:26 AM
Oops!!! I almost forgot my Gateway cow and my Gateway yo-yo!!!

Got my Gateway cow just in time - just before the recall, I kid you not. (I refused to hand mine over when they recalled them.)

Oh, and the two dragons on top of my monitor. Love those dragons. They are muses!!!

Peace, Adrienne

toys=creativity
creativity=toys
childlike=creator
creator=painter
toys/creativity=heaven/peace on earth

DLGardner
02-24-2003, 03:07 AM
Well, toys never did make me laugh like that but I'll tell you what has these last few months...Square dancing lessons! Especially when we mess up.

And for Halloween, which we never celebrate, we went as Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy. So at least we resemble toys.

Actually there are toys all over my house but they aren't mine. They belong to my grandchildren. Little cars and buses and teddy bears...

laniers
02-24-2003, 12:15 PM
I have lots of toys. I collect Spin Pops and have a web site for my collection www.spinpopcollector.com My daughter keeps wanting to know when she is going to inherit my collection :D

coolartsybabe
02-24-2003, 02:13 PM
I sometimes wonder if I have more toys now than I did when I was a kid. There are stuffed animals here and there, Alf puppets hanging off the corners of my bookshelf, Lion King (my favorite movie) stuff everywhere, other Disney toys lined up over my computer and tons of toys I just had to have cause they are cute.

I LOVE TOYS!!! So there. Nah.

Sher
02-25-2003, 02:26 AM
:cat:

Although I have many toys in almost every room of the house, my eight cats are far more entertaining than any toy I've ever had.
I should be making paint brushes from their hair!

white-anubis
02-26-2003, 05:33 PM
I admit it. I have a soft spot for stuffed animals. I have more than I can find a place for. That and plastic animals too. Hell, I searched ebay for weeks desperately trying to find this stupid plastic imperial brand duck-billed dinosaur figure that I had when I was a kid. Let's not forget Transformers, My Little Pony, Godzilla, and Breyer horses. Still play in the bathtub too. I think there's still a part of me that's still six years old.
Easily amused? Yes! I've been caught playing with squeaky dog toys at work, and I don't even own a dog!
Now that I have a son, we're always fighting over who's toys are whose. My spouse has had to break up more disagreements.
Sigh. Glad I'm not the only one.

Dreams-of-Flight
03-27-2003, 05:15 PM
I didn't have much in the way of toys as a child, but am sure making up for it now! I buy my 4 yr old son all sorts of things I like the look of and we play with them together, but I have some of my own:

More ordinary ones:

My pc with enormous monitor
the internet
internet gammes (backgammon & reversi addict)
PhotoShop7
Wacom Graphire drawing tablet
Digital camera
Scanner
Printer
Lots of good loud rock music
My car
Art supplies

weirder ones:

Tiny LED flashlight on my keyring
My own patch of plastic grass (v. realistic) complete with daisies
Pocket microscope
Kaleidoscope
Clear jars filled with marbles
Swiss Army Knife with LOADS of gadgets
Pogo stick
Collection of truly nasty hats, (including rastafarian hat with attached dreadlocks - so realistic I once wore it & got followed around by lovestruck rastas - OMG imagine their embarrasement if they ever knew they were mooning at sheepswool dreads, lol!)

Strange choices for a mum nearly 30, but hey, you only live once, I'm determined to enjoy it!

teresasart
03-29-2003, 05:32 AM
What a great thread!!!!! I think toys are important- play is not and should not be seen as something we abandon as we "grow up".

I have no kids, though my dog has a lot of toys... I do too! Some faves-

Medieval leggos (they didn't make THAT KIND when I was a kid!)

An etch-a-sketch on a keyring (helps when stuck waiting in line...)

Wind up toys. Gotta love those. I still have one from when I was a kid;it's a wind-up bunny that hops.

Winnie the Pooh

Penguin beanbags to juggle

:D Teresa

(My dog's fave is a squeaky furry hedgehog I got her for Christmas. She does the rolling on her back with it in her mouth thing-always makes me laugh!)

madster
03-30-2003, 06:35 PM
Double post...sorry!

madster
03-30-2003, 06:35 PM
I have my flying pig that goes around and around over my head, my battery powered hamster in a wheel, my singing cowboy hamster who twirls his lasso, a rubber "fugu" or spiny puffer fish sitting on one monitor next to my webcam and a glow in the dark seahorse, a smiling Garfield adjusting his bowtie next to the webcam on the other monitor, and my Hallmark Harley-Davidson collector's motorcycle ornaments strung from the ceiling all around my computer area...with the ambiance provided by a couple candles in heavy glass cat shaped holders, and one of those Homedics slate water fountains with my rock collection added to it...it's a pretty lively place I play in!!!

BTW, for all of you un-grownups out there...check out www.stupid.com for some of the best toys to be found for big kids!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2003/11834-My-Toys.jpg

teresasart
03-30-2003, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the link. I love stupid stuff that makes me laugh- helps make up for the daily stupid stuff that's not fun. :D

Gotta get one of those hamsters!!!!

Teresa

andyvry
04-08-2003, 03:51 PM
Hiya, just popping in with a first post in this forum......done plenty o' lurking reading the interesting stuff here....till now :D

This is a good thread!

My 'toys' if you like are model boats. Building them from scratch (you make everything yourself except the propeller and motor) using just a general plan. Always had an interest, as far back as I can remember. Just like the building mostly, although I do take them out on occasion to the lake hereabouts. Don't bother with any of the clubs that abound.... I'm no anorak, that's for sure.

Always lived next door to the sea, I suppose it's only natural to have an interest in boats and the like............

This is "Genevieve" - a 38" long x 8" beam, radio controlled electric powered model of a 1920's English herring drifter. Time taken to build: about 500 hours + ......completed Spring, 2001

andy.

DanaT
04-08-2003, 03:54 PM
I like andy! That looks like a hefty one! :)

ptantono
04-10-2003, 03:06 AM
I never came to this channel before. Pheww....this thread was started in Oct 2002 and still going on till today. :D

I have lots of toys ! :D :D :D I have one little black dog toy on my office pc, forever friends teddy bear and a pen with a very nice clown head (got it from my boy). :D I have lots of teddy bears with different size at home. Have just inherited two to my twin boys and one arm of one teddy broken a week after that. :)
I have seals, kangoroes, koalas, hamster, hello kitty, bunny, Garfield and many many more. They are all mine, never let the boy touch them or they will break another arm again. :D I have a special cupboard decorated with toys and I am 35. :D :D :D

Jacinthe
04-15-2003, 06:21 AM
The only toys I have are my stuffed teddy bears on top of the kids toy cabinet and my dragon collection...
I used to collect mcdonald's kids meal toys, but they got to be too much ;-)

AmyLeAnn
07-20-2003, 09:05 AM
TOYS!!!!!! What can I say? I am surrounded by them. Scooby Doo, Rugrats, Winnie the Pooh, Beanie Babies, stuffed animals, Mickey Mouse, Pluto, minature fairies, Donald Duck. . . you name it, I probably have it sitting somewhere in my room. I guess you could say that I am reluctant to grow up, but I can't imagine how dull and plain my room would be without all of my lively, colorful additions.

Aside from all of the modern toys I have around, I still have some from my childhood as well. For example; Teddy Ruxpin, Teenage Mutant Nija Turtles, Fraggle Rock, The Pink Panther, etc. These were my favorites when I was little and I just couldn't stand the thought of getting rid of them!

DanaT
07-20-2003, 09:26 AM
Amy, thanks for bringing this thread to the top again! Toys? I don't have 'em but my kitty sure does and practically speaking, its the same thing. :D our favorite is a 99 cents peacock feather I got at the pet supply store. When Isis sits on the kitchen table staring at it on the bookshelf, its time to play. :) We put on some hard rock and rock music and I dance around with the feather in hand making a fool of myself while Isis tries to catch the feather. Hmmm, she's getting better at it, maybe I should dance faster.

Lady Rando
07-20-2003, 02:51 PM
Oh Boy .... TOYS!!! Do I ever have toys!

I work at home, besides the sculpting and the painting I am also a 3d animator. Until the 1st of this year I taught 3d animation. One of the requirements of computer animation is a desk, if not room full of toys. My husband is also a computer dude and our desks are together in one room.

I have a Willie coyote mug, several teddy bears, tucan sam, Domino's pizza Noid guy and a mini squishy chair for him to sit in. I have 3 gargoyles, a dragon, two plants (that somehow manage to survive despite my neglect), a crystal snowman my DH gave me for Christmas, 2 miniature computer candy holders, a ball with the Big Red Dog on it, a mini Frisbee, 7 of those 3d puzzles (all put together and no one better touch....grrrrr), a glow on the dark skeleton, 2 sets of hand weights (got to work out sometimes) .......whew!

Behind me, on our shelves is my hubbies collection of Grateful Dead bears .... I think he has about 40 of them so far.

My hubbies desk has 1 gargoyle and 5 dragons, a Taz phone (the one that looks like Taz is eating the phone), several mugs, lots of games (we both love games and the cd's always end up on his desk).

Oh wow, I just realized I have more toys than my hubby! I WIN !!!! :D

DanaT
07-20-2003, 04:25 PM
Ohmigod! Do you have room to sit down and eat? Or is everything in your house done standing up? LOL

I'm always cursing when I go to my mom's house. I can't sit or walk anywhere without running into some unexpected toys from the grandkids.

Welcome to the Creativity Forum, Lady Rando!