PDA

View Full Version : My first art show ever

Jolanta
10-28-2002, 09:30 PM
Hi
Tomorrow I will open my first show with 26 artpieces in three different categories. I am quite nervous about it.
I have to admit my luck was still with me because I had a very good publicity in two newspapers and very nice article in the art's council newsletter and my artpiece in the county magazine calendar.
I was very busy for quite a while with framing all of them (pieces) and getting everything ready but today after we put them up I was very pleased and surprised how well they look like.
Tomorrow I will watch people faces really close to see if they like it or soso...
Wish me luck my friends. I tell myself all the time " it is just 2 hrs - not big deal".
Jolanta

Jetsam
10-30-2002, 01:10 AM
Wow - That's fantastic!! I bet you're walking on air now.

Also.. it sounds like this is a solo show for you.. have you been able to show much before?

Be sure to check in and let us know how it went....

Jolanta
10-30-2002, 01:48 PM
Yes I do walk on air today after opening.I consider the opening of my show a success. It was an one woman show and it was my first show. I met some interesting and important people. A lot of people really truly liked it - they were talking not only how beautiful my pieces are but most importantly to me they were talking about feelings in my drawings how each portrait is expressing some kind of feeling. This was very important to me because I am drawing with my heart and wish people can read it. I sold two pieces during opening. What I really consider a success is when people see my people portraits they want to learn how to draw - so quests were following me around asking if and when I will have a drawing class. I never did teach anything but I love to talk so maybe this will help me. I decided to go ahead and gather people for the class. So far during opening 8 people signed for the class. NOT TOO BAD! I love it.
I did look at your profile but couldn't find any of your art posts. I read one of your posts asking about inspiration. This is my advise. When I don't feel like drawing for any reason but I do have time to do it all it takes is one forceful step. I do make myself to get a piece of paper and a pencil or a pen and really hard force myself to doodle or just put something down. ONCE I START IT GOES!!!! You can try this. It really works for me. It took me a while wondering around and comming up with all kind of excuses not to draw until I discovered this secret. All it takes is to start....

Happy painting- and please post some of your work so we can see it and admire it.

Jolanta

llis
10-30-2002, 03:21 PM
Congratulations! I'm so glad that it went well, but then again, I had not doubts. :)

Jetsam
10-30-2002, 09:57 PM
Wow! That's quite a response to your work. Not only did you have a solo show, but you're now going to be a teacher to boot! I bet you'll have a great time with that.

I'm pretty new to WC, so haven't yet uploaded any images. I'm hoping to in the next month or so. Thanks for the note on inspiration. My problem usually is around being OK with more workman-like outcomes on some days. Some artists I know are really consistent in what they produce. I can usually paint something that others would like, but often the work doesn't meet my expectations. Other days, though, it seems like automatic writing, and everything that comes out is gold. So, some days are gold, others silver and some get down to copper or nickel! ;) Continued success to you!

surreal
11-03-2002, 11:08 AM
Congratulations to you.
Wonderful news!
:D

Rose Queen
11-03-2002, 11:40 AM
This is wonderful news, Jolanta! How terrific that you sold a couple of pieces and still better that people responded to your work with their hearts. I'm so pleased for you and wish you much success in future shows!

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

Jolanta
11-04-2002, 10:02 PM
Thanks a lot for good wishes. Ilis - sorry didn't respond sooner but I am still trying to organize myself and days are just too short. Thank you for believing in me! It helps a lot.
Nina - thank you. I have to tell you WC did something good to my self esteem. I feel more and more confident and even if something doesn't work I say "It is just a paper" and start something else.
Rose Queen - I am getting really busy with all this ART. I will have some of my pieces at the Christmas sell at the Arts Council and I have to come up with some more pieces to put them up at the Hospital floor for newborn. I guess I have to make some children and mothers with childrens - whatever!
Thank you all. So far I am investing bunch of money trying to be an artist. I don't know if I can really afford to be an Artist.
Well as long as I can I will do what I can.

Jolanta

frankie
11-05-2002, 09:44 PM
HI Jolanta: One of the biggest fears of being an artist is "failing". If we believe in this hard enough, we "will". The challenge in art is not so much about how well you think you paint or don't, but is more so about how much you "believe in yourself". Believe in the person you are strong enough, and I know things will happen like you want. I think it was Wayne Dyer who said,," What you believe you are, you will be". Success has never come from being afraid, or sitting back thinking it can't be done for fear of rejection. Success is what we must live, and success is what will happen. Stay positive,,,and above all,,smile
Frankie

Jolanta
11-05-2002, 10:38 PM
Thanks for your wise uplifting. I really needed it today. I was doing everything I could and used all excuses not to draw. Now I am reading some of WC posts and can feel my artistic blood is still flowing! So tomorrow morning no more excuses but drawing!
Why don't you post some more of your great pastels? This is my medium - maybe I can learn?

Have a great day Jolanta

frankie
11-06-2002, 04:13 AM
Hi Jolanta: Your most welcome about the uplift. It's not unusual for artists to become stagnant, and sit back wondering what will come next, or what will I do next. Too often the mental part of us takes over our ability to do, and transforms this into the inability to think. Yes, it's a happening for many to become discouraged at one point in their careers or another.

We must ask ourselves sometimes why we feel this way, and If we seem to have no answer, then we fall into this stagnant category of none doing, and become willing participants of doing nothing.

I think the mental anguish we see ourselves in, is more from the outlook we have on ourselves, than it is the works we know we can produce. It is very easy to get out of focus, and fall into the "none doing" mode, but staying positive, and believing in ones self, is the key that unlocks that.

Here is something I said to someone a while back.." It's true, we should not try and be what we think, but rather, be what we should, trying a bit harder"........