PDA

View Full Version : Eyelash help

crazy_cat
10-27-2002, 10:33 PM
Anyone have a good technique in Photoshop for making eyelashes? Having a hard time with it. I tried a 1 brush with 1 spacing and the line is too big.

captan
10-28-2002, 09:51 AM
If a 1px line is thoo big you're working in a resolution that's thoo low... I usually don't doo draw this way in so I can't really help you...

crazy_cat
10-28-2002, 09:56 AM
The pic is at 600ppi. I could crank it up I suppose and see if that helps.

mARZ
10-28-2002, 11:14 AM
You could try using a dashed line, doing every other pixel or more to give a suggestion of a line. You could also just zoom reallly close and try to put the lashs in one at a time but I'm not sure how that would look....

mARZ

crazy_cat
10-28-2002, 11:17 AM
Thanks Marz. The pic print size is only 2 inches by 2 inches but the pixel size is so large! I have to keep the size to atleast 1200x1000 so they can put the pic on their desktop as they may not print it. But when I crank up to 600ppi the lashes look great but the file is 2000x2000 and that just won't do. I think I will crank up the ppi, do the lashes then bring it back down to 300ppi. Oh the world of digital art!:cat:

plumpfairy
10-28-2002, 11:59 AM
:o OKAY CC....
Here's my 2 cents.....
this is one of those times where I DO SMUDGE.....
place a dot or two on the eyelid rim....then drag it out into an eyelash with da smudge tool.
Just a suggestion.
jana:D ;)

crazy_cat
10-28-2002, 12:10 PM
Jana....you are a lifesavor! Orange flavor, my favorite! Why did I not think of that! Not enough zzzz's plays on my one brain cell I tell ya! Thanks...going to try that now!!!

crazy_cat
10-28-2002, 02:40 PM
THANK YOU GREG THANK YOU GREG!!! Just got your email! You and Jana are wonderful!!!!! Doing the snoopy and cabbage patch all over my server room!:clap: :clap: :cat:

digistyle
10-28-2002, 07:58 PM
For painting I usually do the eyelashes as a mass, just pulling a few lashes out of the mass. For drawings, I use overlapping, short, curving strokes, with different line weights.

digistyle

crazy_cat
10-28-2002, 11:43 PM
Thanks Digi. I think that is what I am going to do. Working on the detail of the eye and the area around it right now. I cranked the ppi up to 600 so the file would be smooth yet large enough to detail out then I will take it back to 300ppi. I do appreciate all the help everyone!!:clap: :clap:

Ceu
10-29-2002, 12:41 AM
ok I tried to email you this image but did not work. so here is my version of it.

crazy_cat
10-29-2002, 04:15 AM
Thanks Ceu..did you use the smudge tool? :cat:

crazy_cat
10-29-2002, 10:35 AM
Well my thought of going from 300 ppi to 600 ppi is a bad idea. I just realized when I come back down to 300 ppi I will lose 1 out of every 2 pixels in the bicubic process and you won't notice it at the 300 ppi size but if you try to take it back up again....oh my what a jag mess that is! Glad I always save...save....save several different copies...actually I am on copy 21 of this one! That way I always have some point to go back to. Oh well on with the eyes!!!!:cat:

plumpfairy
10-29-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by crazy_cat
Jana....you are a lifesavor! Orange flavor, my favorite! Why did I not think of that! Not enough zzzz's plays on my one brain cell I tell ya! Thanks...going to try that now!!!

:p I like being an orange lifesaver....yum! You would have thought of it sooner or later I'm sure of it! I'm just glad I had SOMETHING to contribute:rolleyes: ;)
....it wasn't much.
You are wonderful too Kitty Goddess!:D
jana

crazy_cat
10-29-2002, 11:34 AM
You always have something valuable to contribute Jana....knowledge and that wonderful personality!!!! :clap: :clap: :cat: :angel:

plumpfairy
10-29-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by crazy_cat
You always have something valuable to contribute Jana....knowledge and that wonderful personality!!!! :clap: :clap: :cat: :angel:

:angel: Awww shucks! Thank you CC!
jana;) :D

fugitive
10-29-2002, 04:31 PM
Look at any of my paintings, I do not use individual lashes, but, much like digi said, a line with smudging will work. Don't make them all even (looks fake) but vary them. I have a PSP brush for lashes, which can be converted by you, if you want it. I don't need it, and I don't use one pixel either, more like 4. Just holler.
g.

wish I could see the dance, what did I give you, I don't even know.

crazy_cat
10-29-2002, 04:53 PM
A brush would be great but I don't have anything to convert it with. The dance is for all the help you have given me and Jana!!! :clap: :clap: :cat:

madster
10-29-2002, 05:44 PM
Yo, Cat!

Here is my rework for ya!

1 px brush at 72 dpi.
The trick it to reduce the opacity, in this case to black at 4-6% opacity...and give the suggestion of lashes.
The smudge idea kinda works, but too much and she looks like a "working girl," if you know what I mean...

I also tapered her brows just a little, and went around the iris with the reduced opacity 1px brush.

Madster

Shoot, Cat. Had to play a little more with her! Blurred the edges of her face around the hair, smudged her nose to blend the shades, and pinked up her cheeks alittle, and toned down her lips alittle, all with reduced opacity round brushed.
Photoshop is AWESOME!
See you over at digitalpalette.aimoo.com!!!

crazy_cat
10-29-2002, 05:50 PM
OMG that is wonderful!!! Ok I pulled them and gonna give it a close look. Thanks for the help!!!:clap: :cat: :clap: Yeah we gotta be careful about the eyes as she is 8 years old! I had her with those "come and get me big boy" eyes...nope that will never do! Thanks again!

crazy_cat
10-29-2002, 07:54 PM
Well I am still on the shading and eyelids right now. Argghhhhh this is driving me nuts!!!! Thanks for the mix on the face. I haven't gotten to that yet. Waiting till I finish shading out the eyes and such then I do a total blend. Was gonna post an update but I will spare everyone...I think I will go back to my coding now.:crying: :crying:

crazy_cat
10-29-2002, 09:42 PM
Shoot, Cat. Had to play a little more with her! Blurred the edges of her face around the hair, smudged her nose to blend the shades, and pinked up her cheeks alittle, and toned down her lips alittle, all with reduced opacity round brushed.

**I appreciate that but she is a very light complected little girl. I had that tone originally and changed it. Thanks for your help!:cat:

Ceu
10-29-2002, 09:50 PM
I hope that was ok to post that, yes I used the smudge tool and some other filters . I can't wait until you are done.:)

crazy_cat
10-29-2002, 09:56 PM
I welcome any and all help Ceu! Thanks!:clap: :cat:

madster
10-29-2002, 11:26 PM
Hey CEU!

Of COURSE it was right for you to post your rework! In my opinion, it was VERY nice of you to take the time to rework crazy cat's picture and post your results.

That's how we ALL learn, is by sharing. Thank you for providing another point of view!

Madster

crazy_cat
10-30-2002, 04:36 AM
Hey Madster how is it going? As far as my work I always welcome the help! BUT you can not always assume that it is ok to touch up someones work even if they are asking for help. I am like Ceu...I always ask because of past issues...:cat: