PDA

View Full Version : given box of pastel crayons

roseofsharon
10-27-2002, 11:46 AM
I was given a box of pastel's, I do not know how to use them. I am a beginner painter also. Pastel's interest me but where do I begin? at the beginning would be nice but I do not know where the beginning is lol. help??????:crying: :confused:

sundiver
10-27-2002, 03:48 PM
There are lots of good instructional books available, probably even at the library. Also check out the demos and lessons here in the pastel forum. I've learned a lot here, by lurking and by trying one my own and then getting advice. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some lessons on the net, too, if you do a search.
What kind of pastels wee you given?

jackiesimmonds
10-28-2002, 02:16 AM
get out a large sheet of paper, and start to make marks. Dont draw anything in particular .... just see how many different kinds of marks you can make, using both the tip of the pastel and the side. Also vary the pressure you use.The tip and side will both work fine if they are chalk pastels; if they are wax, you may find that using the side isn't so easy, but that's ok, it is all in the name of discovery. Once you have made lots of differnt marks, try overlaying colours, and blending colours with both a finger, and with a tissue. When you overlay colours, try doing this with simple lines, which develop into Cross-Hatching - lines which cross each other. Do some close together, and others further apart. Try it with three different colours. HAVE FUN11!!

There ARE good books on working with pastels, lots of them, so do a trip to the library. (See if you can find mine!)

Jackie

Also :visit my website which has a “troubleshooter” page of helpful pastel tips and hints (http://www.jackiesimmonds.co.uk)

crumbedbrains
10-28-2002, 06:08 AM
Good advice Jackie . . just play . . . that's what I did . .you'll soon learn heaps by just playin' around . . . then when you have troubles . .come back here and let us know, there are plenty of folks just lining up to help you . . :)
Cheers
Crumby