PDA

View Full Version : A journal/sketchbook I made for my wife

Cremnitz
09-03-2010, 04:13 AM
My wife and I are addicted to journals. After playing a bit with reloading moleskines, I took the plunge and made her this one.

It is 16"x8"x1.5" thick. Paper size is 15"x7.5", 140# arches hot press hand ripped to size. I bought the leather on ebay.

She still hasn't done anything in it yet, afraid to "ruin" it.

robertsloan2
09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Oh wow, that's beautiful. I can understand how she feels, real leather and Arches paper and all.

One thing I might do for a for-special sketchbook sometime is actually work out the pages before painting them. Do a pre-sketch in a cheap one to work out the problems so that when I do add it to the good one I don't wind up with a lousy composition - just treat it like I would other serious paintings.

It also helps to get something into it to break that virgin emptiness. Putting color charts onto the back page can do that.

mhimeswc
09-03-2010, 12:06 PM
What a fantastic sketchbook! I think I would be afraid to ruin it too. LOL

DrDebby
09-03-2010, 07:49 PM
That is gorgeous. I can understand the hesitation, but, what a better way to sketch than with good paper. Any lessons learned sketching or painting will react the same way on a finished piece on the same paper.

jacquip
09-03-2010, 07:55 PM
What a wonderful amazing gift. I would treasure it, probably be too scared to use it. What a great hubby you are :D

Carole A
09-03-2010, 10:14 PM
That is gorgeous. I would probably never paint in it, just put it on the mantle for everyone to admire.

Are you a bookbinder by trade? Have you thought of making these to sell?

Carole A

virgo68
09-03-2010, 10:47 PM
David, wow! I have just bought a journal with a leather cover so I KNOW the fascination with leather, tell your wife to jump in and use it! It looks like you have mastered the skill of journal making so you could always make her some more...?!

I had a look at your website quickly and have added to my favourites so I can go back and spend longer looking at your fabulous work. Would love to see some of your sketchbook work on this forum some time?! ;)

Cremnitz
09-04-2010, 02:25 AM
That is gorgeous. I would probably never paint in it, just put it on the mantle for everyone to admire.

Are you a bookbinder by trade? Have you thought of making these to sell?

Carole A

Most definitely NOT a bookbinder. I don't have the patience for this type of thing to make more than one a year!

Thanks for the kind words.

Cremnitz
09-04-2010, 02:30 AM
David, wow! I have just bought a journal with a leather cover so I KNOW the fascination with leather, tell your wife to jump in and use it! It looks like you have mastered the skill of journal making so you could always make her some more...?!

I had a look at your website quickly and have added to my favourites so I can go back and spend longer looking at your fabulous work. Would love to see some of your sketchbook work on this forum some time?! ;)

I've been a bit lazy in scanning my sketchbooks, but in the next few weeks I'll scan and post some of my sketches.

I appreciate your thoughts on my regular work!:smug: I actually need to update that as well, my last 6 paintings haven't made it to the website yet.

Cremnitz
09-04-2010, 02:33 AM
Oh wow, that's beautiful. I can understand how she feels, real leather and Arches paper and all.

One thing I might do for a for-special sketchbook sometime is actually work out the pages before painting them. Do a pre-sketch in a cheap one to work out the problems so that when I do add it to the good one I don't wind up with a lousy composition - just treat it like I would other serious paintings.

It also helps to get something into it to break that virgin emptiness. Putting color charts onto the back page can do that.

Great suggestions, particularly just doing the color chart.

Vivien Maloney
09-05-2010, 11:40 PM
What a great Journal. I'd be scared to use it as well, it beautiful!

eyepaint
09-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Gorgeous handiwork here :)