PDA

View Full Version : Great Resource Recommended, "The Duck Blind"

LarrySeiler
01-17-2001, 07:24 PM
Hey all....you know, I spent a bit of time looking over Animal's bird drawings... and Duchene's....and a thought came to mind.

There is a resource outlet that is online, which I am many wildlife artists have used to acquire excellent study video tapes. Called, "The Duck Blind" and if you simply type that into Alta Vista or Yahoo, you should see their web site come up.

They have ponds and professional aviaries, and video tape for nearly an hour each pair species (male and female) of waterfowl, swimming around, preening, courtship rituals, drying their wings (flapping), getting in and out of the water, sunning themselves, etc; Also, they have a fine video listing of other birds... hawks, cardinals...song birds, etc;

Videos are about $19 or more each....and well worth it. I own several of them, and use them to sketch from and study anatomy for some improving of my waterfowl stamp competition contests. With a 4-head vcr, you can freeze frame, and learn to sketch quickly. I prefer the black ball point pen which many of you have seen in my how-to here on WC for sketching. Then, you can forward one frame at a time each phase of the duck or birds behavior to get a real sense of their personality and anatomy.

I highly recommend it!!!!!

Larry http://www.artsmentor.org

------------------
"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!" Edgar Degas

[This message has been edited by lseiler (edited January 17, 2001).]

dduchene
01-18-2001, 06:11 AM
larry....good idea. I checked out http://www.theduckblind.com/ and it looks like an excellent resource. I have hours and hours of videos from Discovery Channel, some amazing cinematography is displayed on Wild Discovery. A great way to learn about the life cycles and habitat of all kinds of animals. My vcr is very well used indeed.

thanks again.......Darrell

animal
01-31-2001, 06:24 PM
Thanks Larry for the videotapes and sketching idea. I own a couple of videos of wildlife but have not sketched them yet....

Barbara
02-11-2001, 03:57 AM
I wonder if any of these are available on DVD yet? (We dont have a DVD player yet but...) I understand that you can freeze frame on a DVD and it holds the image perfectly for as long as you want. I never think to sketch from nature programs or videos. They move too fast and its frustrating for me. Isnt it bad for a VCR to pause it for any length of time? And isnt the picture fuzzy, distorted?
Barb