PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Michaelangelo Chat for September 2010

azulparsnip
09-02-2010, 10:23 PM
September starts my favorite time of year.
I was thinking today about how my outlook on making art has changed in the last 6 months. It used to be a "biggie". But since I started thru The Artist Way by J. Cameron - book - I think of art as a regular part of the day, important as eating and sleeping and talking. I see now that the "biggie" approach put alot of pressure on ;-making for avoidance behaviors.
I wonder - how do you think of your art time?

azulparsnip
09-03-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm moping and washing today. Hope to catch a few minutes with a pastel instructional book......I avoid pastels for some reason... grrrr, but not today.

ryster007
09-04-2010, 07:00 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2010/83841-036.JPG

Here's a photo of a great painting spot I found down the coast from Edinburgh at Eyemouth. I was up a hill on the far side of the harbour, it was quiet and hot in the sun but decided to try and do a bit of plein air painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2010/83841-eyemouth_wip.JPG

This is my WIP about 20 mins in or so- I'd decided to limit myself to around an hour and a half so the light would change too much.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2010/83841-eyemouth_cliffs_plein_air.JPG

Cliffs at Eyemouth (plein air sketch)
Oil on board
8x10inches

So this is as far as I got in an hour and a half. My main focus was the cliffs so relatively pleased with the finish I got there and sense of depth. Didn't managed to get any boats and foreground detail as I didn't want to get bogged down with painting that.

Any C&C is welcome

Ryan

brianvds
09-04-2010, 10:27 AM
I was thinking today about how my outlook on making art has changed in the last 6 months. It used to be a "biggie". But since I started thru The Artist Way by J. Cameron - book - I think of art as a regular part of the day, important as eating and sleeping and talking. I see now that the "biggie" approach put alot of pressure on ;-making for avoidance behaviors.

Haven't had time for any, for quite a while. And it will likely be some time before I get around to it again. Also been a while since I have had time to participate here!

Time to continue my love affair with the post-impressionists. I just discovered a new one: Pan Yuliang. Here are two pages to get you started; much more to see if you Google her name:

http://hragvartanian.com/2008/04/30/yuliang-modern-art-china/

http://www.jennifercodyepstein.com/Yuliangs_Paintings.html#grid

ryster007
09-04-2010, 12:09 PM

I know what you mean, procrastinating instead of just getting on with it!!

I'm guilty of jumping into new areas of art, wetting my toes and planning something big. This is followed by trying something else:D

My art time is precious as with a day job its difficult to make art every day and I guess a general lack of focus prevents me using my time to the best. This last year though I'm trying to just enjoy the act of creating and trying whatever takes my fancy

Ryan

trafford
09-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Ryan I love the simplicity of your painting...sort of reminds me of a Diebenkorn, though all yours. It's a gorgeous place to paint. You are lucky.

Bryan, thank you, thank you for introducing Pan Yuliang's art to me. Her work is wonderful, and now I want to read the book and see the movie. Gong Li, one of my favorites. Hope netflix has it.-:heart:

azulparsnip
09-14-2010, 11:57 PM
ugh - I've been in a whirl wind here.....I hope to drop in soon and reply....

artbyjune
09-15-2010, 01:16 AM
That's a lovely view, Ryan. I can see why you'd want to paint it. I love your approach too.

azulparsnip
09-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Ryan - great post with the photo and painting. This looks like it was an exhilarating day. You've got really good form on the cliff surfaces. They play up nicely with the smooth cement foreground forms. Are you going to add some red to the cliffs? I think you did a fab job of getting the rough cold feeling on the cement walls. This is an unusual piece. Interesting. Haven't heard from you in a while. I like that idea of just getting creative and fanciful. I often fall into the groove of trying to achieve a goal and it squelches the fancy.

Brian - hey, it's good to see you here Brian. I know whatcha mean about trying to find time for art - you were going to get with your musical side for a while as I recall.
Pan Yuliang is new to me. Thanks for mentioniong her. Now I like her work too!

Hi Janet and June:)

ryster007
09-23-2010, 05:33 AM
Robin, June and Janet- thanks for the kind words on my painting. Its not so often in Scotland we get the blues as intense as this so I was really happy to have spent a day painting there-mostly its grey and overcast!

I found loads of other great spots to try as well- just need more time off (and sunshine!!)

Ryan

brianvds
09-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Brian - hey, it's good to see you here Brian. I know whatcha mean about trying to find time for art - you were going to get with your musical side for a while as I recall.

Never had time for that either. And my camera gave up the ghost, but that was a blessing in disguise: I got hold of a second-hand one that is nevertheless quite an upgrade on the previous model. Still learning to use it, but it has all manner of fun features, such a setting for taking photos in an old-fashioned sepia style, and for taking photos under various light conditions and so on. I just might be of some use in future photo paint-along projects... ;-)

azulparsnip
10-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Brian - post some of your photos when you can. We'd love to see them. It sounds like the retro camera situation has sparked your creativity. I'm glad you are still pursuing some muse.:wave: