PDA

View Full Version : do colours go around a painting, or a painting around colours?

Koert
10-26-2002, 12:17 PM
i suppose the "normal" way to start painting is choosing a subject and then choosing the colours for it.
i often choose some colours and then think "now what can i do with these?"
i was wondering if there are other ppl here who do that too

hummingbird
10-26-2002, 12:22 PM
Yep, I do that too. But I mostly do abstracts so I think its alittle easier to start that way.

impressionist2
10-27-2002, 08:36 AM
I even love paintings that are ONLY about color! One of my favorite artists is Howard Hodgkin, whose paintings stay non representational and yet say so much! The interaction of color reminds me of sign language. Just a beautiful means of communication with no other explanation needed.

As for me, I start with color, than start forming interchanges between the colors, establishing their relationships. In the back of my mind I have an idea of where and what I want the painting to be. But, the colorwork comes first. Then the images, if at all.

Renee

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/hodgkin_howard.html

Wayne Gaudon
10-29-2002, 06:19 AM
I take the image and then try to imagine what colors I can use to make it into an interesting painting. I spent the better part of this year learning how to copy nature in my own little way and for the last quarter I have been trying to use color to create my version of nature instead of just an attempted replication.

impressionist2
10-29-2002, 10:06 AM
Wayne, Yes, reality is not what it's cracked up to be!:D

I love interpreting what I FEEL about the painting's subject or just it's color, rather than copying the drabness before me.

If I painted NYC the way it really looks, with all that grey, dust and dirt, it'd be pretty boring. That's what they mean when they say, "Looking at the world through the eyes of the artist". But, what they really mean is through the Heart!

Renee

hummingbird
10-29-2002, 10:45 AM
Wow Renee thats *awesome!* :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pat

livenlearn
10-29-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by impressionist2
I even love paintings that are ONLY about color! One of my favorite artists is Howard Hodgkin.
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/hodgkin_howard.html Wow, very interesting stuff. Thanks Renee for sharing that and the link! Much appreciated! :D

Wayne Gaudon
10-29-2002, 01:11 PM
Wow .. Renee .. I've never seen this one .. awesome ..
.. here's my version of pushing the chroma ..

impressionist2
10-29-2002, 01:42 PM
Wow, Wayne!! Love it and once again, right on the same page!! Weirdly creepy!:eek:

( For those who haven't observed, Wayne and I seem to progress at almost the same level and velocity)

Liven', You're Welcome! Hodgkins is awesome.

Pat and Wayne, Thanks a bunch.

Renee

DANCING PAINTBRUSHES
10-30-2002, 04:29 PM
When I start a painting, I see colors. Then I look to see how the colors create shape and form. Then I take into consideration the way the different colors relate to each other to create the objects that I want to paint. I just love all the colors.:)