PDA

View Full Version : Fine Art Cards

westcoast_Mike
09-01-2010, 04:56 PM
I just sent the message below off to an online printer Paula recommended in another thread (iprintfromhome.com). Not sure if anyone else has some recomendations on who I may contact or not. Bottomline, I'm looking for a quality product, not the standard glossy\ semi-gloss product that most seem to be putting out. Something you may come across in a museum gift shop.

I'm looking to get "greeting cards" made up. These would be needed in two types. One, Holiday cards using fine art images for the front with a salutation printed in the inside. The second would be similar but blank inside for resale to patrons. Ideally these would scored\folded to either A6 or A9 size with envelopes. Stock preference would be velvet finish or equivalent. Not sure if this is something you do or not.

Thanks

Deborah Secor
09-01-2010, 07:26 PM
I'd probably find a printer in my city to work with personally. I like to do it face-to-face, but that's me. I've had wonderful help from knowledgeable people doing that, and with the economy the way it is it would be a boon to the locals I expect, although it may be more cost effective to use a printer such as Paula recommended.

You also might collect examples of the kinds of cards you want to print, in order to be able to show them to printers. You could also contact the artist and ask where they have their printing done.

And surely someone here will have more advice as to where you should go!

klord
09-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Hi Mike,

Have you looked into www.Modernpostcard.com? I have been very satisfied with all the work they have done for my postcards, cards and business cards.

Check 'em out if you have time. They are in Carlsbad CA.

westcoast_Mike
09-01-2010, 10:06 PM
I understand Deborah. Finding Printer who can do the job shouldn't be a problem. Finding one who is already setup to do this as a main part of his product line is another thing. It will make a huge difference in the nickel it ends up costing.

Kim, I'll put in an inquiry to them. See if they have any stock and coating options other than indicated on their site.

Deborah Secor
09-01-2010, 11:11 PM
That's true, Mike. Around here we have so many artists that finding it wasn't such a challenge...but that was a few years ago, too.

Tahloola
09-22-2010, 10:29 PM
http://www.prints-and-notecards.com/

This company deals internationally to very many world reknown artist. They are a delight to work with and not overpriced. Ask for Randy Orgeron, he is the best.

westcoast_Mike
09-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks, Tahoola. They look to be worth a call.

westcoast_Mike
11-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Just a little belated follow up on this one. I ended up talking to some local printers and found one we are working with. Cost is actualy a little less than I was seeing for the online resources. The advatage, aside from cost, is we area able to spec the paper and see prooofs at each step. My wife and I decided to do an inital runs of 150 X 6 images folded to A-7 with envelopes. We are also ordering boxes from Clear Bags so we can asseble some as sets.

gardencorner
11-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Mike....appreciate the follow up on this thread! Had wondered what you decided to do. Perfect timing....just in time for the holidays!! The cards make great gifts....I'm a buyer of note cards! :) Wonder if you would post a sample of your cards & cost per item.....or is that too personal? If I've crossed a line, I apologize for asking. Thanks again for posting the update. Warm regards, Shea

westcoast_Mike
11-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi Shea - Any picture I put up would look similar to what I've posted before. I've decided my pictures just don't translate well to the web. As to cost. It's working under to under a buck a piece with envelopes and boxes. And yes, some will translate into gifts for the Holidays. This was part of the motivation to go forward with it it.

gardencorner
11-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks, Mike. Very generous of you to share the specifics!! :) Good info to have. Warm regards, Shea

Tahloola
12-27-2014, 02:46 PM
:clap: