PDA

View Full Version : Whoo-hoo!!!!!!

hummingbird
10-25-2002, 01:02 PM
Thanks Scott!!!! I clicked on the list of forums and YAAAAAY! the Creativity Forum is now here!!! Hi Everyone!

I love to read books on creativity for artists. I'm always looking for new ones so if you know of any do tell! :)

I'm getting ready to go back thru "Art Is A Way of Knowing" by Pat B. Allen. Don't know if anyone has ever read it or not? Its not a book that focuses on "pretty" art really. Its more about using art to explore parts of your life. Although it might and can lead to other more developed art projects. Somehows I need art that is just for me. Need to just be in that flow. But not something that I really want going out in the world you know? Anybody else like working that way too? For themselves?

I should see if I could move something over here I posted in another forum earlier today...

Well anyways, I'm just all excited this is here. Thanks Scott!!!

Pat

impressionist2
10-25-2002, 03:52 PM
Well Pat and Nancy, I see you got here first, so let me put my brushes and palette down and pull up a chair. I'd say the first thing we should do is fill up our wine glasses and make a toast to the new forum and the beginning of creative adventures.

"Here, here" and a round of thanks to Cheryl and Scott and to all of us embarking on experimenting and sharing our new and old discoveries.

Right now I am reading "Think Outside The Box" by Frank Vance. He teaches about how corporations became the conglomerates they did by being creative and what tools they Used to do that.

Renee

hummingbird
10-25-2002, 04:34 PM
Renee,

Ditto for me too to Cheryl and Scott! And to you for suggesting this idea :) Thanks guys!!

Renee, is that book very helpful for artists tho? Its not too business oriented is it? I know I'm gonna get a good reading list out of this :)

Nancy mentioned a couple books that I'd like to know more about too. And the authors on those.

In the meantime I'm raising a glass of Rose!

Pat

mallory
10-25-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by hummingbird
I'm getting ready to go back thru "Art Is A Way of Knowing" by Pat B. Allen. Don't know if anyone has ever read it or not?
Pat

I read that in the Winter of 1996, while I was working on an interactive presentation I did called "Creative Problem Solving". I didn't do art then, but the book made such a powerful image of art as a way of self discovery that a couple months later I signed up for a Watercolor workshop almost as a lark. The workshop was taught by Sue Jensen from Portland. Anyway, I've been painting watercolors ever since.

That book helped to implant in my understanding of art early on that true "success" in art is the way it opens the heart and soul of the artist.

Mike Mallory

hummingbird
10-25-2002, 05:21 PM
>>>That book helped to implant in my understanding of art early on that true "success" in art is the way it opens the heart and soul of the artist.

Hi Mike! You said it perfect!! :clap: :clap:

I love how it got you into watercolor and art. I think it works on us even in ways we don't see right away. It gives us permission to create and grow with art. I love the rawness of it, everything. That art can help us instead of just being something to hang on the wall or sell. But you said it best.

Pat

paintfool
10-25-2002, 05:28 PM
Well, cheers ladies and gentlemen! :) Hummingbird is right, we're going to get a heck of a reading list going for ourselves! Renee's recommendation sounds like something i'd enjoy very much and then along came Mikes! They both sound great. I find that 'successful' in art making is indeed to be found in how it opens our minds, hearts and souls. The definiton of success is often disputed but i have never personslly doubted this. :) If this forum helps even one person to realize that their art is one of their greatest gifts to their sellf it will be a success in it's own right!

hlee
10-25-2002, 06:38 PM
(Pokes head around the door and enters, crashing into the midst of things in the process.)

Hello all -

Wow ... cozy :D ... how about Vein of Gold, the second book to The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron (we also have a forum to discuss the latter book)? I actually found TAW quite helpful, though I haven't gotten round to reading VOG yet.

paintfool
10-25-2002, 07:45 PM
Hi there Hlee. I'm glad you found your way to 'the Corner' :) I too have yet to read the VOG. It's collecting dust! Is it a workshop, step by step thing? If so i'll be glad to go through it with whom ever decides to. We'll be discussing the workshops in the sub forum, which is our old TAW room.

Cheryl

Gisele
10-26-2002, 08:58 AM
Hi everyone! I just bought "Searching for the artist within" from the North Light Book Club, tho I didn't have time to read it, just by flipping through the pages I think this could be a very good book.

I found VOG at my local library last winter and had started working with it well........where TAW is dealing with the artist within and creativity issues, VOG is dealing with you as a person and life issues. This book is for people that are willing to dig deep, DEEP inside and let all the little devils of the past come out to the light. It is so profound I found I needed more time in between chapters(than TAW) to assimilate and understand the work being done and dealing with the different issues that came back to the surface. This book should be done at a slow pace, a rythm that you feel confortable with otherwise you may be tempted to skip through it and not do the exercices with the appropriate energy and dedication that will give you satisfying results.

Gisele :)

hummingbird
10-26-2002, 11:18 AM
Hi hlee, Cheryl and Gisele! I have VOG too. Bought it after it came out. I don't know, I couldn't get into that one for some reason. I really love TAW but VOG I just didn't get into. Maybe in a group I would get into it more (?)

Adding another book to the list...thanks Gisele! I'm wondering if I've seen that one before..thinking, thinking...cause the title is familiar. I know I didn't read it yet tho. Boy I'm getting quite the list here! :) I love it! Winter's coming anyways and its perfect for reading.

Pat

mallory
10-26-2002, 03:11 PM
I wanted to follow up on the art as a way of self discovery theme. I have attached a copy of a piece I did earlier this year I call "Paint It Black". It is 11 x 15" watercolor, acrylic ink and paper collage on CP 140 lb.

I painted this as a way to explore some of my own stuff and try to understand one of the stories in my own life. I thought the song "Paint It Black" by the Rolling Stones was prefect background music. So I put "Hot Rocks" by the Stones on the CD and kept playing it over and over while I painted. As I painted I tried to tell all the pieces to the story.

You may or may not like the finished piece, but I'm telling you that when I finished, I felt that I had somehow captured that chapter of my life in that painting. It all felt somehow more managable and tangible. It was a difficult piece to paint, but it was a difficult story.

I don't suggest that all art be therapy. But, I do believe that art can be wonderful therapy. And I think that good art can also be theraputic for the viewer. I do believe doing art is about commuicating and when the artist goes down deep, I think they have a chance to communicate at depth with the viewer.

Mike

hummingbird
10-27-2002, 05:42 AM
Wow Mike! That really has power to it. Energy. I what you did here! :clap: :clap:

I totally agree with you, that not all art has to be therapy but it can be. Back in the 70s, I wanted to be an art therapist instead. Wanted to for quite awhile but never was able to go for the schooling. Now its just something I really enjoy on my own. Art can definately be both.

Wonderful piece!

Pat

Southern Style
10-27-2002, 10:20 AM
Wonderful work Mike! This new forum looks like it will certainly live up to it's name!

Rose Queen
10-27-2002, 03:21 PM
Cheryl, should we start a 'sticky' in this forum for all the books we've found helpful?

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

Taminka
10-27-2002, 04:07 PM
Hi folks,
I was 'led to' the Vein of Gold almost immediately after I finished working through TAW. I really loved it and am surprised by the comments above about people having trouble getting into it. It brought some significant changes to my life, just like TAW did.

To me I guess it provided more tools to put TAW principles into practice. If you do decide to work through it as a group I'd love to join you and go through it again.

Cheers
Minky

Taminka
10-27-2002, 04:12 PM
Oh BTW - forgot to mention in the back of V of G, Julia has added her own very extensive list of books 'worth reading', and also a great music and film list - enough to keep us all reading listening and watching forever!!:D

Minky

hlee
10-27-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by paintfool
Hi there Hlee. I'm glad you found your way to 'the Corner' :) I too have yet to read the VOG. It's collecting dust! Is it a workshop, step by step thing? If so i'll be glad to go through it with whom ever decides to. We'll be discussing the workshops in the sub forum, which is our old TAW room.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl -

VOG's also a "step by step" thing, quite similar to TAW except it's supposed to be a little more intense.

Excuse me - Rose, are you still heading the VOG group on the Tripod site? Sorrie, thought I'd include the link here, but I'm afraid I've lost it. :(

Rose Queen
10-27-2002, 11:00 PM
Not any more, Helen; it sort of sank under its own weight. I noticed the woman who created the site is now a member of WetCanvas, but I haven't seen her post any yet.

hlee
10-27-2002, 11:06 PM
Oh ... will there be another online group starting VOG anytime soon, e.g. this year? Why don't we have a sub-forum, or another channel dedicated to VOG just like the TAW workshops that are running here at WetCanvas! at the moment?

impressionist2
10-28-2002, 07:39 AM
Whoa, wait up for me!! Two days goes by and this thread is getting many posts!

"Renee, is that book very helpful for artists tho? Its not too business oriented is it? I know I'm gonna get a good reading list out of this"

Pat and Cheryl and all, The book, "Think Outside the Box" was designed as a teaching seminar type tool, to show company employees how to increase sales and production and solve problems by thinking creatively.

Examples are shown how this worked in companies like Disney. Then charts and specific techniques are shown in the book, that Anyone, artists too, can use to enhance and stimulate their own creative juices.

One of them, the "writing in color" thing has already opened my mind. I make my shopping lists now with thin pointed magic markers in all kinds of colors. Why write with black or blue? Do we paint with just one or two of those dark colors? The point is to get your mind to expand to the color possibilities.

Another one is the goal planning charts. They are a new type of chart and terrific.

Try to get it from the library. I read a book first from the library before I buy it. That way you will never throw another book away.

Mike!!! Your painting is Fabulous!!! Mike, Big change from anything I have seen on IPAP! Stay this course.

Renee

Jetsam
10-28-2002, 10:57 AM
Besides finding books that help with creativity.. I wonder if any of you have techniques for being able to get to the 'flow' ... by this I mean that even when I have the occasional block of free time, some of these times I know I can't be very productive in my studio. Other times, I know I'm feeling like I could be .. but I'm at work or another place where the oils just aren't at hand. Even when I'm having trouble painting I often try to do things like prep surfaces or read about art... but I'd like to be painting 90% of my free time. I'm wondering if there is anything that helps to really get in the productive mode when the time and the tools are at hand. Maybe the answer is to find a way to not have to go to work every day! . :cool:

hummingbird
10-28-2002, 11:49 AM
Hi finemist! Thats an interesting question. It could be a whole thread in itself :) Ok, I don't know about anybody else but heres my thoughts on it. I hope I'm interpreting what you are asking correctly.

Sometimes, yep, you just won't be in a place where its physically possible to sit down and paint --because you are at work or doing errands, whatever. Doing the prep work if I'm home or reading like you said is what I would do too. But the times that I've put off doint the work of painting when I could...if I traced them back they always led back to something I was afraid of. I'd get in a spot where I was putting it off cause I wasn't sure I could do it...or not sure about the technique...afraid to fail basically. Once I realize that thats whats happening, I begin telling myself so what. Go ahead and fail. Nothing bad will happen. The worst is I won't like it but at least it will be out of my system. No bigee.

I stay primed to paint by continuously taking in images...everywhere...whats out my window, things I saw during the day when I had to go places, magazines I read, WetCanvas! and seeing what others are doing, a particularly nice fabric, patterns I'm taking in, etc.

Crazy stuff even...like the stains left on the counter from my coffee cup -the abstract patterns those make --ok you gotta be alittle messy to be able to do that one granted, LOL I got tile on my bathroom floor that is mottled, I see stuff in that tile all the time --faces, scenes. I'll grab something to sketch on real quick and put those down.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that theres like this hungry monster inside --but he's a cute monster-- that feeds on images. I'm always observing and observing, taking everything in. More, more all the time, can't get enough. OK, all that goes in and percolates and sooner or later, I get a project out of it. I also join art projects here because those always have a focus so I'm not without something I can work on. I keep a list of titles that I think I can make a painting around. Check out the artist journals thread too cause we talk about this alittle there.

More often theres so much I want to paint, its choosing which to do first. Hope this helps alittle.

Pat

Rose Queen
10-28-2002, 02:44 PM
Helen, I'm not aware of any plans to start a VOG group here at WetCanvas. I haven't been able to get through the book myself!

Jetsam
10-28-2002, 07:40 PM
Hummingbird - Thanks for the note. I think you're correct in that at the least I'm being too critical of what I do when I'm in the studio. Not so much of being afraid something won't be good - - I know that is often a hit and miss proposition- but I think my fear is that I don't have enough time to get to real 'progress' enough of the time. Historically I've worked best when I have a couple of days to work at a stretch versus stitching together an hour here and an hour there.. Perhaps the trick is for me to figure out how to make the best use of those smaller blocks of time. I guess I need to accept the fact that a large part of studio time is where we all play around and try things out. For example I'm now learning my way around encaustic, and some things have turned out great, and others were baaaad. Sometimes if I spend an evening doing that, even if it was enjoyable, I'll also have a voice in my head saying.."yes, but you didn't accomplish much!". Perhaps I'm expecting more than is realistic from each small block of studio time.. From this description you probably are imagining a haggard artist with black circles under the eyes glowering at a mirror, throwing the whiskey glass at their reflection, cursing all the while.. Not quite so colorful.. more like a car engine trying to get started on a cold morning.

By the way.. I like the coffee stain comment. Inspiration can also come from the back of the vegetable drawer in the fridge. ..Fruit past their prime can indeed take on interesting shapes and textures!

paintfool
10-28-2002, 08:37 PM
I do think i'll get that book renee. Thanks :) I see no reason why we can't do the VOG program on-line. We can use the TAW chat room and use the TAW sub forum to discuss it. I, myself won't have the time until after the holidays though. I think most people would feel the same.

Cheryl

Gisele
10-29-2002, 07:26 AM
I might be interested in VOG, and I agree with you Cheryl I'm way too busy right now to start yet another program. Let me know when the time is ripe.

Gisele:)

impressionist2
10-30-2002, 07:18 AM
Gisele, Did you paint your tinyhead? I love the little face on that. You may have something there!:)

Renee

Gisele
11-01-2002, 08:31 AM
Renee, yes I painted my tinyhead: it's done in watercolor. I like that when people see "things" in my paintings....art for me is a road to the soul, yours and mine; I feel rewarded when people feel or see something in my paintings, thank you:)

Gisele:)

P.S. As soon as I can get my studio back(we're about done renovating) I will paint again and will change my tinyhead.