PDA

View Full Version : Sad, Sad News - Our Wonderful Sooz (Khadres) Has Passed Away

Kathryn Wilson
09-02-2006, 09:06 PM
I am resurrecting this thread out of the Pastel Library. For those of you who would like to say something, or post a painting, in her memory, please use this thread.

We, on the staff, still miss her very much. I think about her often - her kind, gentle words are sorry missed in the forum.

So, if you wish, please join us in the Memorial thread for our dear friend, Sooz.

----------------------------------
With heavy heart, I am passing along the news that our dear Sooz has passed away. The news has been devestating to the Pastel staff, but we would like to start this thread as a Memorial to her kind, welcoming spirit we so loved to see on the Pastel Forums.

We will be adding things as we go along - the things we remember best about Sooz and the contributions she made to this forum.

So, join us in remembering Sooz. :crying:

PeggyB
09-02-2006, 09:18 PM
My heartfelt condolences to Sooz family and close friends -many of whom are here on WC. I will miss her witty comments, and always kind critiques.

With Great Sympathy,
Peggy

Kathryn Wilson
09-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Sooz and I joined Wet Canvas about the same time - we held each other hands as newbies, and through all our experiences on WC became fast friends. She was such a kind, gentle soul - gave encouragement to many people with always a pat on the back and a shove in the right direction.

She contributed greatly to our Pastel Forum - Sooz hosted the Goal Posts with her witty remarks and kind comments. She had a sympathetic ear to artists who were discouraged and applauded everyone's successes. Here is her last Goal Post for June:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332738

Sooz also pulled together a great thread on pastel sets that are available and it will be a valuable tool for all pastel artists for a very long time. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332738

My heartfelt sympathy to her family and friends -

M Douglas
09-02-2006, 09:30 PM
My deepest condolenses to Sooz's family and friends. Her contributions to WC have been numerous, she will be sadly missed.

Melodie

Tressa
09-02-2006, 09:34 PM
What a shock to open this up...I am so sad to hear such news...Sooz was so kind and a wonderful sense of humor..always gave an encouraging comment...my thoughts and prayers are with her family..and here, she will be sorely missed...
Tres

khourianya
09-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Sooz will definitely be missed by me! She was my best friend here in many ways and I am heartbroken to hear that she is no longer with us.

She was a very talented artist and so talented in other ways as well. Did you all know that she had co-written a fantasy novel with a friend years ago? She also used to own an art supply store!

She was also very instrumental in helping me get VPON off the ground and acted as a moderator over there for us. She was always there to have a good chat in the evenings with.

We had such fun together - though we'd never met. I will definitely miss her so much.

I am going to send a card to Gary and the Bay Window Gang!

Paula Ford
09-02-2006, 09:43 PM
To the family and friends of Sooz. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

We will miss Sooz so very much. She had such a witty humor and a fantastic attitude. She was such a fine person and artist and posted thousands of times, helping everyone who came into the forum.

Sooz, You will always be a part of our family here. Thank you for all you did and all you shared. Thank you for making me laugh all the time. You will always be in my heart.

The following photo was taken at the Santa Fe Art Expo a couple of years ago where many of us had the pleasure of meeting Sooz.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2006/1978-1978-sooz1forwc.jpg

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Paula

Deborah Secor
09-02-2006, 09:50 PM
:crying:

I'm going to miss her so much! She's been such an asset to this place. We depended on her sense of humor....

We all met in Santa Fe and I got a big smooshy hug from her there. I'll never forget it--we were supposed to meet at Kitty's booth and as she walked up I saw her name tag and practically smothered her in a hug before she knew who I was. We later laughed about that! I'm so glad I got that hug.

Here are a couple of her paintings.She was a talented artist!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2006/23609-Sooz-_Dales.jpg
She LOVED England and this one of the Dales pleased her, I know. I found a typical 'Sooz-ism' with it:
You have NO idea how hard those woolies were to do that small! I almost opted for wooly MAMMOTHS.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2006/23609-Sooz-Garden-Gems.jpg
This one she called Garden Gems. Here's the comment:
But will ya look at all that GREEN??? (I can hear the greenie phobics squealing from here! :evil: )

We have the gift of her spark left in these threads--but her continuing influence will be sorely missed.

Deborah

sundiver
09-02-2006, 10:00 PM
My deep condolences to Sooz's family.

I recieved a lovely pastel from Sooz, one of her cherry blossoms series, when we both participated in the Postcard project 2005. She was a wonderful artist, and we all enjoyed her sense of fun.

K Taylor-Green
09-02-2006, 10:04 PM
I just can't believe this sad and horrible news! I didn't realize how ill she was.
She was always here, with a kind word and a warm welcome. She was one of the first to give me a welcome when I first tip toed in here, unsure of myself and what to do.
Her stories about the common everyday things that went on around her house, with her family, would have me laughing til I cried! Now, my tears are for the ache in my heart.
She is much loved and will be sorely missed. My condolences to Gary and Mel, and the rest of her family.

Lady_Morgana
09-02-2006, 10:10 PM
I met Sooz on VPON and got to talk to her in chat a few times over the last weeks. Although i did not know her for a long time , i found her a person with great humor and inner courage, bearing the pain and the disease she had as good as she could and still she gave me advice for my work and encouraged me.

My heartfelt condolences to the family.

May she find a place to rest her soul from this life and enjoy art like she did while she was here.

Morgana

Kathryn Wilson
09-02-2006, 10:20 PM
A few more of her first efforts - she loved participating in WDE's and got me going on it too:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2006/14941-wcreadysixsketches.jpg

*Violet*
09-02-2006, 10:22 PM
so sad to read this ... i know she was an integral part of this place, a friend to so many, a wonderful talented artist, and that she was loved ... she will be missed by many ... my sincere condolences to all whose lives she touched ...

Deborah Secor
09-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Remember this one? She called it 'Waiting for Rain'.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2006/23609-Sooz-_waiting4rain2.jpg

AnnieA
09-02-2006, 10:36 PM
I am saddened and shocked to hear this sad news. Although I didn't know her well, I could sense her kindness and graciousness. She will be missed.

K Taylor-Green
09-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Oh, I remember Waiting for Rain! I think I enjoyed her landscapes more than any thing else she painted.
She used to tease me about painting a horse, telling me to be prepared!

Becktoria
09-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Walking over from the Decorative Arts/Murals/Faux forum, I send my deepest sympathy to all of Sooz' family and her friends here on Wet Canvas. It is so obvious how much you loved Sooz and I believe some of the best friendships are those we find here on Wet Canvas. I am so sorry for your loss.

Kathryn Wilson
09-02-2006, 10:57 PM
It is so obvious how much you loved Sooz and I believe some of the best friendships are those we find here on Wet Canvas.

You are so right Becky - thanks for dropping in. When something like this happens, it's friends you need.

Kathryn Wilson
09-02-2006, 10:58 PM
I remember Sooz talking about writing - she loved to write and she was good at it too. It showed in all her posts and threads here -

Bill Foehringer
09-02-2006, 11:00 PM
I'll never forget when I was out of money and out of painting supplies Sooz offered to send me stuff to keep me goin'. What a wonderful person. I'll miss her alot, BillF

K Taylor-Green
09-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Bill, that sure sounds like her!

David Patterson
09-02-2006, 11:09 PM
The WC family has lost a wonderful artist, and a special friend. Sad sad news to here. Heaven's art gallery will now be blessed with her work!

David

paintfool
09-02-2006, 11:24 PM
My most heartfelt condolences to her family, both in life and here on our forums. Sooz was an inspiration to many and her wonderful contributions to this site, as well as to artsits everywhere are deeply appreciated and will not be forgotten.

Thank you, Sooz.

khourianya
09-02-2006, 11:26 PM
She was certainly a rare gem!

I let her family know about this thread and they will be popping by to read the memories we all have.

I am also going to be hosting a paintout in celebration of Sooz's life on Friday (Sept 8) over at VPON. It is the same day as her memorial service will be in Colorado. For those of you who can attend, you are more than welcome. You can find VPON by clicking the icon in my signature line. If you can't make it - try to paint a landscape or a doggie in her memory on that day.

Kathryn Wilson
09-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Good idea Cori - can you tell us what we need to do once we get to VPON? Where to post paintings?

Nancy Leone
09-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Her kind encouragement and quick wit have helped so many of us here at WC. My condolences to family and friends.

khourianya
09-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Tell you what - if you want to participate, why don't you PM me your Yahoo ID. That will save people from feeling as though they need to sign up for VPON when they may not want to participate there (though you can certainly sign up if you wish)

I will add the IDs of those who PM me to my list and invite you when you are online. You can get a yahoo ID and download Yahoo Messenger for free at www.yahoo.com

You don't need a webcam, but you will be able to view other peoples webcams once the paintout is started. Mostly, I imagine we'll just be chatting and painting in memory of Sooz.

The paintout is at 6pm mountain time. To find out what time it is in your area of the world, click on the link to the world time clock below:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=9&day=8&year=2006&hour=18&min=0&sec=0&p1=55

As for posting paintings, why don't we have a single thread here that everyone can post to? Will that work? The members at VPON are members here too...

sundiver
09-02-2006, 11:55 PM
Here is a link to 24 of Sooz's paintings in the Postcard project. These paintings were sent all over the world to 24 people who treasure them, and who in turn sent her examples of their own art.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=browse_final2&userid=34895&proj_id=829

Kathryn Wilson
09-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Wow, Wendy, now that is a body of work! Thanks for posting.

Paula Ford
09-03-2006, 12:02 AM
Wow, they are all so lovely!

Paula

khourianya
09-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Here is a link to some more on her website:
Pastels by Suzanne (http://www.styxcrossing.com/Artsite/)

rosebard
09-03-2006, 12:07 AM
Sooz was one of the sweetiest people that ever existed on earth. I met her through Vpon about an year ago. I will miss her deeply.

:(

CJMonty
09-03-2006, 12:21 AM
WOW, I am so totally shocked at this news, it was only literally a few days ago when I was talking to Sooz via the PM system. I had never realised she was sick. !!! My condolences go to her family and of course to everyone here who new her as well. She will continue to pastel whereever she goes.
Carolynn.:(

Piper Ballou
09-03-2006, 12:27 AM
I am with great saddness tonight to hear the news of Sooz's passing. She always had a kind word, never judged anyone and gave you the boost you needed, whether it was for art or just life.
She will be missed deeply but will always be in our hearts.

kordelia
09-03-2006, 12:49 AM
Thanks, Kat, for starting this. Thanks, Wendy, for the link to her postcards... they tell so much, by the work and by the accompanying words. She was a lovely, perky lady, as her avatar can attest. What a great body of work, what a tremendous outpouring of love; she will live on. I'm so glad you've done this for the family. They need to know this. Sadly, Kordelia

Mike_Beeman
09-03-2006, 01:08 AM
Very sad news....our thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends!

Shari
09-03-2006, 03:09 AM
I am totally shocked to hear this news. Sooz always had a kind and encouraging word for me since the time I first joined WC. She will be missed greatly. My love and condolences to the family.

vasilkadifeli
09-03-2006, 04:30 AM
I am so sorry to hear that... Suzanne was a member of the 2005 Postcard Exchange project I participated last year and we had a year full of fun... didn't knew she was ill... my condolences to her family, friends and the whole WC! community...

Susan Borgas
09-03-2006, 05:22 AM
I was shocked to see and read this dreadful news :crying: . My condolences to the family and friends of such a wonderful person and artist. When I see soft rain falling I know Sooz is up there knocking out another masterpiece. Sooz you will be missed but never forgotten.

meowmeow
09-03-2006, 06:45 AM
I am jsut so stunned to be reading this! She was such an integral part of this forum. SHe has always so supportive and wonderful with her terrific sense of humor. I knew she had some health problems but did not konw it was this serious, although I guess now that I think about it maybe I should have realized. I know when I was sick last summer she was so supportive and helpful to me.
It is so wonderful that we get to know people and become close through this online forum but then it makes it so sad when we lose someone. Myheart goes out to her family!

Sandy

HarvestMoon
09-03-2006, 06:53 AM
Sooz- I know you, and was looking forward to meeting you very soon.
Love always,
harvest moon

Natalie NZ
09-03-2006, 07:10 AM
Oh how sad.......I will miss seeing all the lovely and helpful posts from Sooz and her beloved Bay Window Gang.

It was a pleasure to "know" her.

Katherine T
09-03-2006, 07:12 AM
I read more than I post in the Pastels Forum but for me Sooz was one of the total delights of this forum - always a source of good advice, witty comment and the sort of member that any forum anywhere should be really grateful to have as a participant.

I'm totally stunned to be sitting here reading this thread as I had absolutely no idea she was ill. I'm really going to miss her contributions. I exhanged PMs with her a few times and she always made you feel like a friend even if you'd 'spoken' very little on a one to one basis.

She was a really lovely lady - my heartfelt condolences to her family and all her friends here on the forum.

HarvestMoon
09-03-2006, 07:21 AM
I know Sooz had numerous health issues, but does anyone know how it happened? My condolences to her family. Sooz, thank you for the gift of one of your paintings years ago. I am sorry I don't have a scanner or camera functional to share it. I know you were looking forward to Gary's retirement.

Your writings and 'space-computer' art were also quite amazing, Sooz, as was your gift of kindness to strangers like me. Thanks for all the emails too. I know you are hearing this- and just wish we had made that raid on Terry's (Ludwig) pastels.
Love you always- still crying over this......

ExpressiveAngie
09-03-2006, 07:57 AM
My condolences to all her family and dear friends. I always enjoyed reading Sooz's posts. She could see things that others didnt always catch, something extra special in a painting - thats one reason I thought she was extra special herself.

bjcpaints
09-03-2006, 08:39 AM
I don't know what to say - I am shocked and saddened. I did not know that Sooz was ill. She was a spark of life here and in the Animal/Wildlife Forum and gave me some very good - to the point - advice when I first came to the Soft Pastel Forum. She will be sorely missed and fondly remembered.

Charlie's Mum
09-03-2006, 08:49 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2006/30494-Sooz_-_her_postcard.jpg

This was Sooz's postcard to me last year - already treasured, but now doubly so.

The news of her death has shocked and saddened many of us and I wish to send my condolences to her family also - along with those to her many special friends in the Pastel Forum and in the wider family of WC!

Thank you Sooz, for being 'You' - we'll miss you.

HarvestMoon
09-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Don't know if ya'll knew it, but Sooz was from Texas, and went to UT. She was thrilled when they won the Rose Bowl, and we sent her a picture of the tower all lit up orange after that. She loved to talk about that tower being all lit up when they won, and was planning to retire to the Austin area (when Gary retired) until a heat stroke in Colorado Springs recently made her rethink it.....so a big HOOK 'EM HORNS TO YOU SOOZ. I expect you will be helping the team along now if football angles are allowed.

Pinecone Conniff
09-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Oh geez...just a quick check in on WC and here we are...:crying:
We will all miss Sooz soooo much! She is one of the talents here that has made WC the great place that it is...I always looked forward to her posts and comments and wonderful artwork. It will never be the same.:heart:
Annette

*Deirdre*
09-03-2006, 10:25 AM
I am so saddened to hear this news...I was another newbie that she was welcoming and kind to, she was so generous too - I will miss her witty comments, and always kind critiques. God Bless her

DFGray
09-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Sad news
I've used her quotes
she will be missed
Dan

Dot Hoffman
09-03-2006, 11:58 AM
I am so saddened to hear of Sooz's passing, and my heartfelt condolences go to her family and all of her friends. She will truly be missed.

Tressa
09-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Re: Weekly Scumble Aug 21 Thru 27

So glad you enjoyed your trip; but I knew you would! Sounds like you saw the "good stuff" and didn't waste too much time on the touristy junk...good for you. Can't wait to see your ptgs! And I agree with your sentiments...every time I've gone to England, I cry when it comes time to get on the return plane; I'd gladly stay for at least a year or two!

This was Sooz's welcome home to me from my trip, and she made me laugh re the "touristy junk"..:lol:
I had no idea she was ill...:(
Tres

Pat Isaac
09-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Such sad news and my sympathies to her family. I will miss her sense of humor and welcoming spirit.

Pat

scoller
09-03-2006, 12:26 PM
I only knew “Sooz” through Piper. In reading the memories of her friends the following has come to mind. May they bring comfort, love, and support to you her friends and also to her family.

“Every man's (woman’s) work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself. (herself)”
- -- Samuel Butler

“Tears are the unspoken words of hearts, the jewels of our souls.”

“It is okay to cry. It helps me see better.”
-from a 12 year to her father.

*Marina*
09-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Very sad news. My deepest sympathy goes to her family. We will miss Sooz on the forum. Her friendly words encouraged a lot of people here on Wetcanvas.

Chiers
09-03-2006, 12:56 PM
I did not know Sooz really as I have had little interaction with her but I want to offer my condolances to her family. I can see that she was a beloved member of Wet Canvas and most certainly is a loss to us also.

CM Neidhofer
09-03-2006, 01:21 PM
What a shock to come home to open this thread. This is my favorite place on the 'net, and Sooz helped make it that way. My thoughts and prayers to Sooz's family. She was a wonderful lady. She took time to PM me when, some of you may remember, I was having so much trouble with my son. I kept thinking that one of these days I would PM her and take the time to run down to Colorado Springs and meet her. Thought it would be sooo cool to meet Sooz. I KNOW it would've been. Keep painting Sooz. We'll look for your work in the stars and the clouds. God bless you, and your family.

Christine

watergirl
09-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Sooz was one of the first WC members to comment on my "new" attempts at pastels. I felt an instant affinity with her and the "Bay Window Gang". I will miss her very much.

Bhavana Vijay
09-03-2006, 02:42 PM
So shocked to hear this very very sad news! My deepest condolences go to her family and friends. I was one of the many newbies that she welcomed into this wonderful community; with her wit and wonderful words of advice. She will be missed deeply.

Merethe T
09-03-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm so sad to read to hear this news. I know Sooz both through WC and vpon, and will miss the chat's and her comments - her great sence of humor, kindness and knowledge, generously sharing with others. As many others here, Sooz was one of the first to welcome me as a newbie, so friendly, and with her witty comments she really made me feel welcomed. She will be deeply missed.

My deepest condolences to her family.

Merriel
09-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Such sad news. My deepest condolences to her family ad friends. She will
be missed as will her wonderful input.

leirrem

Kathryn Day
09-03-2006, 05:03 PM
I was so very stunned and saddened when I opened wet canvas to this thread. I had recently PM'd Sooz about some medical issues we shared. She was so wonderful to share her advice and knowledge. I was hoping to see her again at the IAPS convention. She was a great guide and mentor and shared herself with us all. I always looked forward to her postings and to her paintings. She always made me laugh with her sassy spirit.

My sincere condolences to her family. What a loss for all of us. May she paint to her heart's content with no obstacles in her way.

binkie
09-03-2006, 05:08 PM
I was shocked and saddened when I saw the post that Sooz had passed away. My deepest and heartfelt sympathy to Sooz's family. Her passing is a great loss to all of us at WC.

Sooz was one of the first to welcome me here. She was so supportive of my paltry efforts, and was always quick with encouragement and help when I was discouraged with my efforts.

Sooz wanted to see pics of a jacaranda tree in bloom. I am going to paint a jacaranda tree in honor of her memory. She loved the blue-violet color. Would anyone care to join me? Here is the link I posted of the trees for Sooz:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362308

You will be greatly missed, Sooz.

binkie

nana b
09-03-2006, 06:05 PM
I didn't know Sooz but felt like I did. I'm fairly new to the pastel forum but knew I would really like Sooz if I ever got to meet her. She seemed to have such a good sense of life and humor. My sincere condolences to her family.

JamieWG
09-03-2006, 06:14 PM
I am so sorry to hear that Sooz has passed away. My heart goes out to her friends and family. She was such a warm, kind soul, always encouraging and a friend to all.

Jamie

fortysomething
09-03-2006, 06:38 PM
I am so sorry to hear this news. My deepest sympathies to her family and the rest of us dust bunnies who will miss her.

ponting
09-03-2006, 07:54 PM
It's a sad day indeed when someone with so much spirit is taken from friends and family. My hearfelt condolences to to everyone here and at home for all of our loss for she will leave a huge hole in our lives.

Regards, Dianna

Punky2
09-03-2006, 08:17 PM
I don't post much on WC, so I didn't really know Sooz, but I read the posts alot! Sooz is greatly missed. My condolences to her family and friends.

Terri

KJSCL
09-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Oh my goodness..... I was just stunned when I saw this thread. I didn't know Sooz very well but loved her comments and humor. You could always count on her to cut to the chase, but in a very gracious way. My condolences to her family. She will be greatly missed here.

Holley
09-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Sorry to hear this sad news, she will be greatly missed here on WC.
My condolences to her family and those close to her!

johndill01
09-03-2006, 09:44 PM
LIke a lot of others, I only met Sooz online. Could always count on her sense of humor to lighten a moment, critiques that were correct without being hurtful or malicious. Could almost always count on Sooz being online for a VPON. She will be greatly missed. My condolences and prayers to all of Sooz's family.

John

pastelist
09-03-2006, 10:26 PM
I am deeply distraught , hearing this very sad news. I really enjoyed reading her replys in the pastel forum. She will be missed.
Prayers to her family during this very sad time.

Laura Shelley
09-03-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm shocked--count me with the ones who didn't know a thing about her illness.

Sweet and stalwart, that's how I'll remember her. I think she did a great deal to make this forum what it is; I always had a sense of her presence whenever I browsed through posts, since she seemed to make a point of giving supportive comments on everyone's pieces. I'll miss her. It's a small blessing, but at least her posts and the results of her organizational efforts will remain here for a long time to come...

Laura

CindyW
09-04-2006, 12:46 AM
To Sooz:
Thank you so kindly for welcoming me so warmly when I first landed here. Genuine and true, you were a gentle and witty woman who always found a positive side to any issues or thoughts with a smile and humor. You helped make this community a pleasure to be a part of, which helped many of us join in comfortably.

You will be missed terribly. Please look down on us every so often as your spirit will still be strong and alive with us all.
Cindy

Mikki Petersen
09-04-2006, 03:19 AM
This is a tragic loss to the WC art community and to her family and friends. I had the good fortune to meet Sooz and Gary two years ago. First I met Sooz in Santa Fe at the Artisan's Expo where she invited us to visit in Colorado Springs. There we spent time seeing the sights and it was obvious she was ill but her spirits were so high and her sense of humor ever present. We spent a lovely afternoon at the Garden of the Gods where we had meant to paint together but couldn't stop chatting long enough to do so.

All along, I have been impressed by Sooz's generous spirit and willingness to share her extensive knowledge in so many areas especially knowing of her debilitating illness.

To Gary and Mel, my sad condolences. To Sooz, Happy Painting my friend.

Mikki

E-J
09-04-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm very, very shocked and sad to read this. Can't believe it. I had come online to post to the Scumble and was looking forward to telling Sooz in particular my news, since not two weeks ago she posted a kind comment about wanting to see pictures of my new baby. :(

Sooz was such a supportive lady, not just in terms of her encouragement of the artistic development of everyone on the Pastel forums, but on a personal level too. Her kind e-mails helped when I was going through a very rough time last year. I'm so very sorry for her family.

E-J
09-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Sooz did this pastel on a tiny sample of Wallis paper back in October 2004. It's from a photo I took here in Ely and she put me to shame by posting it while I was still dithering about how to go about painting the scene!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2004/34895-dawnbookmark.jpg

dlake
09-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Hi. Bhavi just told me and I am devastated. she was the most wonderful, lovely person. I could see her being a real friend if she lived by me. She seemed the kind of person who people would just love and want to hang with.
My heart is so heavy. I feel so bad for her family.
You must do a tribute and I will contribute. I will do something in tribute to her. we should all do that.
my heart is heavy and I am so sad.
She will truly be someone in heaven.

Bringer
09-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Hi Sooz,

Now that you have left us, Wetcanvas friends,family and dear ones , and although I am not a religious person, I do hope that you find peace and joy. And I'm sure that way high up there, you will be painting and forever remember us as we will remember you.

with a hug and a kiss,

José

Karen Margulis
09-04-2006, 04:47 PM
What a shock to come home and read this sad news! Like many of us, Sooz was someone who welcomed me to WC and always made me feel comfortable. She will be missed terribly. My condolences to her family. Thank you Sooz for all you have done for us!

karen

bnoonan
09-04-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm so very sad ot read this. Shocked and sad of our loss. I haven't been around WC for awhile and yet Sooz was someone who could guarantee me a huge amount of support, encouragement and typically a great tale.

Sooz - where ever you are, know that you are loved and will be missed by so many of us. Thanks for keeping us laughing with your great tales and sharing so much of your life and energy with us.

To her family - my sympathies and know dearest Sooz was a wonderful lady to so many of us in the pastel forum.

:( with tears in my eyes, good bye. Barb

Yokovich
09-04-2006, 05:50 PM
I am so saddened to hear about Sooz's passing. May her spirit know nothing but Blessed peace. I believe she is smiling down on all her art friends and her family and that she will continue to encourage us from her special spot in Heaven.

Kathryn Wilson
09-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Please, everyone, post your paintings in memory of Sooz in the separate thread we have created - I will copy and move paintings that are in this thread. It will be a wonderful thread when all the paintings can be seen together.

Charles Perera
09-04-2006, 06:43 PM
The memory of her will be with us, though her presence we will miss.

Charles

Adriana Meiss
09-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Very sad news indeed. Although I was not her friend, I enjoyed reading her comments way before I started posting. I'll miss her. My sympathy to her family and friends.
Adriana

dlake
09-04-2006, 09:19 PM
I will look for the thread and post something as soon as I find something to express how I see sooz's heart and soul.

Jo Castillo
09-05-2006, 12:04 AM
I was shocked, as everyone was, I had no idea Sooz was ill. She was one of the first to comment and encourage me to post. So supportive to all. She will really be missed in the WC group. My heartfelt sympathy to family and friends.
Blessings,
Jo Castillo

lorna12
09-05-2006, 03:04 AM
I was very saddened when I read the news of Sooz's passing. I didn't know her well but we swopped paintings last year during the Postcard Exchange and I recieved a lovely little pastel of hers...this tulip.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2006/11613-TulipTime-LornaH.jpg

To her many friends at here at WC! and to her family...my heartfelt condolences.

skintone
09-05-2006, 08:42 AM
I didn't know her well, but I do remember receiving lot's of encouragement from her, especially when I first started. I was alway amazed by the life in her landscapes. She was a good mentor, and added much value to the Pastel Forum.

Bill Foehringer
09-05-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm really strugging with this sad news. We have to treasure the good people in our lives. Sooz was 'good people', she was the archetype of a good person. Over the weekend I was 'off' for some reason but in her memory I pushed through and did a couple of paintings, one out in the boondocks after 3 miles of wandering around. The other I did from my backyard. I'll post them under the other thread. Our time is so precious, we have to spend it wisely and not frivolously. So if we've been given the gift of an artistic eye then we must paint, we must......
My heart goes out to Sooz's family. To them I say, Rejoice in her memory, how could memory of her not ease the pain of her passing!? Now she's enjoying the beauty and peace of all creation from her new vantage point. Take Care, BillF

Kathryn Wilson
09-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Beautifully said, Bill.

scall0way
09-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Oh how sad. :( I'm sitting here in tears - checking in today after two weeks vacation, only to be greeted by this sad and shocking news. Sooz was always such a darling. I loved her comments here, and always loved chatting with her on VPON sessions. She was alwasy so upbeat and encouraging, and just plain nice to everyone. I knew she had some health issues, but never had any hint that they were this serious. Does anyone know what actually happened? Dear Sooz, I will miss you so much.

scall0way
09-05-2006, 11:23 AM
The paintout is at 6pm mountain time

I guess I was in such a state of shock that I missed this the first time around. My desktop PC is still "dead" and my webcam is not attached to my laptop, but I sure do hope to be there.

Khadres
09-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Everyone,

This is going to come up in my mom's name, but I don't know how to fix this on her system and I'm just not up to finding my nickname and stuff right now.

There have been alot of wonderful things said about my mother on here and I'm very thankful she had all of you to talk with, chat with and laugh with through her last years, months, weeks and days. Thank you all for your kind thoughts and words. The prayers are much appreciated.

While she was ill for a long time and I knew this day was coming someday, I feel as if this is some horrible surreal dream that I'll wake up from and laugh with her about.

Sooz suffered from serious lung problems as well as other health issues for a long time. As far as the physicians can tell, something happened to shut off blood flow to her brain and on Thursday afternoon she collapsed. The nurse I spoke to in the ICU unit said she believes mom was gone before she even made it into the ambulance. On Friday night she was declared officially gone. And we're left here without her.

I don't know what I'm going to do without her, but it gives me some peace to know that you all loved her, too.

Sincerely,

Monica Brown
Sooz's oldest daughter from New Mexico

Kathryn Wilson
09-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Monica, I wish I could hug you in reality, but this is the best I can do -

(((((((hug)))))))

meowmeow
09-05-2006, 02:05 PM
(((Monica)) Bit hugs for you and all your family. You are in my thoughts. Your mother was a very special lady!

Sandy

K Taylor-Green
09-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Me, too! ((((((((((hug)))))))))) :crying:

Deborah Secor
09-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Monica, I'll keep you in my prayers. You and your family have been held there already, trust me. I too wish I could offer a real (((((hug)))) to you, but I hope the cyber-hugs are a comfort to you.

I lost my dad when I was 22 and I know the unreality you feel, as if there will be a return to normal any minute. It's a little like walking underwater for awhile. Our prayers for you will keep you afloat.

Any time it helps, come in here and visit us, too. We care very much about your struggle.

Deborah

Tressa
09-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Monica, losing a parent is a devastating shock..and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...We loved Sooz here in the Pastel Forum, and she was a special lady all over WC...
Tres

Bringer
09-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Hi Monica,

My kindest thoughts to you, family and close ones.

Kind regards,

José

Pat Isaac
09-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Me too..((((((((hug))))))))) and I'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Pat

dlake
09-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Hi Monica. I am so sorry for your loss. I have been thinking of her all day so, I can imagine how bad it is for you.
You know, we all will keep you in our hearts as well. If you ever need to talk we are here. Your mother has such a special place in all our hearts. She was amazing and we all loved her so.
She was so special.

Tracy Lang
09-05-2006, 08:42 PM
I am so very sorry to read this sad, sad news. Sooz was one of the first people to welcome me to WC. I always enjoyed reading her posts...they were filled with humor and encouragement and her personality really shined through her words.
Monica, you and your family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers tonight. Your Mom touched so many of us.

Tracy

Shari
09-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Monica,

I feel such empathy for what you are experiencing; I am holding space for you and sending you best wishes. I, too, lost my mother almost 20 years ago and I think of her almost every day and often wish I could just pick up the phone and call her. We will all fondly remember Sooz and her kind words for everyone here. God Bless.

khourianya
09-06-2006, 04:30 PM
I thought I would post her obituary for you all. This was on teh Colorado Springs Gazette Website

Suzanne M. Palanuk
Suzanne M. Palanuk, 61, passed away Friday, September 1st, 2006. She was born March 2, 1945 in Dallas, TX. to Herbert and Marie Lake. A talented artist, avid animal lover and kind and generous spirit, Suzi will be missed by all who were fortunate enough to know her. She is survived by her husband, Gary; Daughters: Monica and Melissa; Grandchildren: Meghann and Jordan; and her beloved Bay Window Gang. She will also be missed by many friends on and offline.
Published in The Gazette on 9/6/2006.

http://www.legacy.com/gazette/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=19140556

johndill01
09-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Cori, thanks so much for passing this info along.

John

CarlyHardy
09-06-2006, 09:49 PM
I am deeply saddened to learn of Sooz' passing. She was one of the most encouraging ladies that I've known and it's obvious from all the comments here in this thread, just how much she touched the lives of all of us. Not only as artists, but as a friend who made us laugh and made us think seriously at times as well. She won't be forgotten.

My heartfelt condolences to Sooz' family and friends.

carly

lwood
09-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Very sorry to hear of this news about Sooz. May God bless her friends and family.

diash
09-07-2006, 05:04 PM
I do not regularly participate in the Soft Pastel forum but when I did, Sooz offered her encouragement and for that I was helped along the way to finding great pleasure from art. I offer my sincerest condolences to her family at this time of loss and to her close friends at WC; Sooz will be greatly missed by us all.

moonthesun
09-08-2006, 08:28 AM
I was scrolling through reading all the tributes and then come across the little thumbnail and the dear lady with the thick glasses, it's her daughters post, and reading it brings tears to my eyes. I thought, this is silly since I don't really know her and being relatively new to the forum and not participating a whole lot.
But the reality is that it isn't silly, it's the sadness and pain that you are all feeling that I felt, and knowing how much she was loved and cherished by her family and friends.
She is in the Light, right next to you.

doe
09-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Such sad news. My deepest sympathies to Sooz's family and the bay window gang.

angecald
09-10-2006, 12:48 AM
I've been away for ages, just checking in tonight, and what shocking news! Sooz was so warm hearted and generous, and so funny. She was a real pillar of this community. It seems impossible that we're speaking of her in the past tense. WC won't be the same without her. My deepest condolences to her family.

maddy777
09-11-2006, 12:43 PM
I haven't been on much lately either and was also shocked to see this news. Love & light to Sooz's family and friends.

Mads

Rose Baggs
09-12-2006, 07:54 AM
So sad news... Sooz always commented on my threads. Such nice person. My deepest condolences to her family and friends. She'll be missed very much.

pjo
09-12-2006, 06:12 PM
What very sad news. My condolances Monica to you and your family. Your mother was a very special lady to us here. She is one of the first ones whom welcomed me here on WC and I was blessed to be able to meet her in person during the art expo in Santa Fe a few years ago. I haven't been online in quite a few months and just learned of her passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Paula

stonewhiteclown
09-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Tough task it is to come to grips with such sad loss. Some time ago I was quite often online with VPON group. Sooz's companionship was among the best reasons to make it onto the painting event. No wonder oftentimes you end up chatting more. My perception is she was young at heart. I have only fondest memories of our Sooz. I hope she is in better places now.

I express my sincere condolences to her family and friends. And virtual (((hugs))).

:crying:

bluemanjacob
09-15-2006, 09:33 PM
I lost my mother in law about 6 months ago, so I know how badly this hurts. I thougt of this song then and I am thinking of it now, also:

It's the same story the crow told me
It's the only one he know -
like the morning sun you come
and like the wind you go
Ain't no time to hate,
barely time to wait
Wo-oah, what I want to know,
where does the time go?
From the song "Uncle Johns Band" by the Grateful Dead

She's gone to a better place, now. But we will see her again.

Jake

SouthPawMel
06-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Firstly, I would like to thank everyone on behalf of myself and my sister, Monica, and my father for all of the kind words shared about my mother. I went with her to the Santa Fe EXPO and I know she enjoyed herself immensely. It was really neat to see her so excited about something, and I'm glad she got to meet some of you in person.

Well, It's been Nine and a half months, since my Mom has been gone, and I'm still having an extremely difficult time with it....As I'm sure you can imagine. To be honest, I can't even really talk about her for more than a minute or so without burtsing into tears....I was her youngest, and for the last two or so years of her life, I was there by her side. At first, frustrated with my own issues and lack of progress, I gradually came to realize just how much she needed me. Not just to help her with her oxygen or steady her as she walked, but also to keep her company. Especially in the later days and months when it became apparent (though i know now, that i was trying to ignore the worst) that browsing the art/hobby stores for supplies would be too hard on her. For that matter, it got to where she couldn't hardly leave the house at all without struggling to catch her breath. But even inspite of her growing health problems, she was encouraging, supportive, and loving. I realize now, that while I was keeping HER company, she was keeping ME company. I was there the day she collapsed, I had helped her into her room that morning, so she could try to get some sleep since she wasn't sleeping well at all, and I went to catch a nap myself since I had a cold. I awoke and went to check on her and found her in her computer room, without her oxygen canula on, covered in a weird clammy sweat, and more or less delerious. I got her a drink but she wasn't able to drink herself, then I noticed her air wasn't on, so I went and got her that, and went down the hall for not even a second. I her a thump and ran back in to see her confused and sitting on the floor, she had fallen out fo her chair. I talked with her for a few minutes, asking if she wanted me to call my dad, or my friend to help get her up, she told me no. Then after another moment or two she asked me to help try and get her up. ... (i'm sorry, If this is too graphic for anyone.)I tried to help her up, but i couldn't lift her enough, then she slipped down and stopped breathing.... I called my dad and told him to come home right away, then i called 911....My sister posted on here that the doctors thought she was gone before she got to the hospital....I agree...they worked on her for along time...I realize that many of you may not wish to know the details...But to be honest...I needed to get it out. I was and still very much am traumatized by the whole event. I miss her so much. I wish I could hug her one last time. I wish she was here to see me finally be the dog groomer she knew I wanted to be. I love her with all my heart...

Once again, thank you for all your kind words...
My mama was a talented artist, and a good friend, and I will always miss the one on one time we had.

Sincerely,
Melissa S. Palanuk

Charlie's Mum
06-23-2007, 07:46 AM
Melissa - don't apologise, please!
It's so hard to lose a parent, particularly when you've been close ...... I still miss my mother after 14 years - I talk to her to her often :) (..and I'm not mad!!!)
Life will get easier for you - because she loved you and encouraged you, she's still there in everything you do.
While it was awful being with her and seeing her struggle at the end, be comforted by the fact that she did have you there and was not alone.

I hope you find peace.{{{{{{ hugs}}}}}}}}}

Katherine T
06-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Melissa - thank you for sharing and don't ever feel the need to apologise.
Such a great loss can take a very long time to come to terms with - but you need to know it will get easier in time....and talking (or writing it all down) does help some people an awful lot.

I'm sure you also focus on all the good memories as well - in my experience you can't have too many photographs........

Kathryn Wilson
06-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Melissa, I think it is a big step forward in being able to post here about your mom - keep your chin up, it will get better in time and remember the good times always!

khourianya
06-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Definitely no need to apologise Mel. I'm really glad you posted. Your mom was such a huge inspiration to me that I have found it really hard to paint since she passed away. Knowing that she won't be there on the other end of the webcam to encourage or make me laugh has meant I haven't spent alot of time on VPON either.

If you ever need people to talk about her with...this is the place. She is definitely missed and will never EVER be forgotten. And I didn't even know her in real life! I can only imagine how hard it is for those who did.

bnoonan
06-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Melisaa, you are not alone in your grief and if sharing it here is of comfort - then please visit as often as you like. Your mom was one of those special people that shared her life so willingly and we will miss her here for a very very long time.

You are making think of my mom who is 87 and though she's still going strong, I'm realizing how difficult a time I am going to have when she passes. We live 3000 miles apart but talk all the time.

So... keep posting and if there is anything I can do as apart of this community of yours, let me know.

Barb

Mikki Petersen
06-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Melissa, the importance of a community is being able to share your feelings and thoughts. This forum is a wonderful community of people who valued your mother both as an artist and as a person of great warmth and humor.

I had the pleasure of knowing your mother both on and off line. I was shocked when I first met her at the EXPO to find that the person we all knew as Sooz, so bright, witty and supportive, was, herself an invalid. Several weeks later, we spent a terrific afternoon and evening with your mom and dad, visiting the Garden of the Gods and going out to dinner. Your mom had great spirit and, in my heart and the hearts of many, her spirit lingers still.

In time, you will remember more the endearing things about your Mom and the painful memories of those last moments will dim. It is traumatic to be in the position you were in alone with her when she collapsed and such intense an experience is difficult to move past. Be comforted in knowing you were there for her in her last hours and that she died with your loving presence close.

Be at peace,
Mikki

kordelia
06-23-2007, 04:19 PM
This is the second anniversary of my Mom's passing... and Melissa, i feel as you said: she was keeping me company as i was keeping her company.... i'm so pleased i got to be there with her... you may not think that's a big deal yet, but you will..... i miss her so much sometimes... she was the only one in my family who 'admired' my work and encouraged me... ... in YOUR family, your Mom was the one that was encouraging me... your Mom & mine shared that twinkly eye, devlish look.... i miss them both, especially this week.... thanx for posting.... needed to get this out too.... hugs, my girl, hugs across the airwaves........ :heart:

meowmeow
06-23-2007, 07:34 PM
((Melissa)) I'm glad you were comfortable posting here....this was a place that was very special to your mother and she was very special to us. I also lost my mother last year and know how hard it is.

Sandy

Paula Ford
06-23-2007, 07:39 PM
I don't know what else to say that the others have said, so I'm just going to send you big {{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

Paula

Pabs
06-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Oh dear, what a downer. Although I am still relatively new to the WC! Community, I can tell be the volume and content of all these messages just how she is missed. And this is what it is - a community - everyone best of friends, even though the vast, vast majority of us have not met, or physically spoken to each other, only the electronic word.
I sense a feeling of having known Sooz (though I obviously never did) just by reading these postings, such is her effect upon people.
My thoughts go to her friends and family.
Regards,
Pabs

bnoonan
06-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Pabs - you missed knowing a most wonderful, funny and talented lady. She was one of the many that made this forum such a delight and supportive an environment. We do miss her and will for quite some time.

Barb

K Taylor-Green
06-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Sooz was one of the best things about being on WetCanvas. God, how she could make me laugh!
I miss her too, Melissa. She was greatly loved.
I understand how you feel. I lost my youngest sister a couple of months ago.
And while it wasn't a surprise, like with your mom, grief still has to run it's course and I am greatly affected by it.
My heart goes out to you, sweetheart.

Westerngirl
06-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Melissa, thank you for your post. We still miss your mother, but are grateful to have known her as we did.

God bless you, your family, and all those who have recently lost loved ones. I truly believe that someday all our tears will be wiped away, and that's a great future to believe in!

Yokovich
06-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Melissa, I am glad you wrote the details of being with your Mom at the end. Many people seem squeamish about such things, but it really is wonderful that you were there with your Mom as it was her time to go home. I know that you feel traumatized by the event...but imagine how sad you would have been to have been across town or something instead. You and your Mom are blessed that you were right there as she made the transition. One of my favorite poems has a line that reads, "death is nothing at all, I have slipped into the next room".

Your Mom touched many lives...and art is a healing enterprise. I hope you might consider taking up something artistic in her honor! Try not to be traumatized by Sooz' passing. Certainly a woman as kind as your Mother has a very special place in Heaven. There is no good reason for us to think that death is the ultimate end, Melissa. What seems like the end to the caterpillar is just the beginning for the butterfly.

MadMonica13
08-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Hello all,

This is Sooz's older daughter, Monica, and I just wanted to mention I posted a message in the Town Hall member announcements forum an idea I had for remembering my mom on the one year anniversary of her death.

I thought it would be nice if folks could post their thoughts about her, works they did in her honor, etc., on or about Sept. 1 (the day of her death) either here or in a thread created for it. I tried to create a thread herebut wasn't allowed to.

All of your support after her death meant much to me, and I apologize for not getting on here since. It's just been a bit difficult to face her being gone (lame excuse, I know).

I will also be lighting a candle in her memory beginning the afternoon of Aug. 31 through Sept. 1 if anyone would like to join me.

Your messages of support and works created during the online paint during her wake meant alot to myself and her granddaughter and I thank you all once more for your support. If anyone has any other ideas for remembering the remarkable, kind, generous and above all loving, forgiving and understanding woman she was, send them on to me, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Mad Monica

PCool
08-11-2007, 06:53 AM
I did not know Sooz, however, she has been a constant here on WC. I will miss her and her comments to my fellow artists and friends on Wetcanvas.

My condolences to Sooz's family and friends.

Sincerely,

Peg.

makanjuola
08-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Death is a price all living must pay at the end of our mission on earth. Tragic one nobody prays for.
My heart goes out to every soul Sooz's spirit has touched one way or the other. Heartfelt condolences.
I believe she lived a fulfilled life, and her works lives on.
May her soul rest in perfect peace. Amen