PDA

View Full Version : OIL PASTEL CHALLENGE - September 2010

oldrockchick
08-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Hi guys!

Please join me for my challenge this month.
If you are new to the Oil Pastel forum or the medium remember we are a helpful friendly bunch. If you get stuck or need advice or feedback post where you have got to and we'll try to help.

The point is we want to see and enjoy your work.

The Rules:

1) This challenge is open to ANY artist of ANY age working with ANY brand of Oil Pastels. Mixed media artists are welcome as well, as long as one of used medium will be... Oil pastel, of course!

2) Host is posting royalty free images, what you will use as reference for your art work. feel free to modify it any way you want. You can work on just one image, or all of them You can do several versions of the same reference... the choice is solely YOURS!

3) After you finished your art work, take a photo of it and post it on this thread. You may describe your methods and ask for help or comments, if needed. We all are here to help each other.

This month I have chosen a luscious colour as my theme.

Red is a lovely colour for a pending Autumn when leaves turn into beautiful rich reds and coppers.

RED!!

If you are like me they may be the most underused OPs in your collection, or if you use a lot of primaries, do you use different reds?

I'm not going to issue a specific challenge. I just ask that you make the reference your OWN.
Adapt it to make a work of art which reflects YOU personally and your style and aesthetic preferences. All I ask is that you

KEEP IT RED!!

Here are the images for this month:

A traditional famous old RED phone box. This one is outside the Post Office at Caldey Island. Just in front of the monastry on the village green

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2010/179312-2010_Wales_-_Day_11-_Caldey_Trip_099.JPG

For lovers of objects and macinery here is Ducatti motorbike taken at Epping Forest. Motorcyclists gather there at a quaint wooden cafe kiosk that sells coffee cakes, and hot soup in winter.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2010/179312-Epping_Forest_High_Beach_13_Dec_09022.JPG

For those that like 'portraiture' or people this is my son, a few years ago at a gig with his red shirt and red guitar under a red light.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2010/179312-Tickled_Pink_032.jpg

And for all you botanists - the obligatory flower:
Almost red - 'bowl of petunias' (as Douglas Adams might describe them)
From my old garden before I moved.
Fell free to make them redder if you wish!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2010/179312-flowers_Petunias_May_09_at_Park_Road002.JPG

If you would like higher res images please message me an email and I'll send you the originals.

HAVE FUN
and I can't ait to see what you all do with these!

Pat Isaac
08-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks, Lin. These are fun pics.

Pat

halthepainter
08-31-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks Lin, may I put "Dr Who" entering the phone booth/tardis?

The Ducati looks interesting also.

qeenbee
08-31-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi, I don't know anything about oil pastel but can I join?:wave:

gakinme
08-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Oh my goodness, so much red, Lin. LOL. But I like red. I'll give it a go. Love the bike at once!!

gakinme
09-01-2010, 01:44 AM
Here are two quick sketches.

Holbein oil pastel
65 lbs brown cardstock

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2010/86669-op_sepchallenge1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2010/86669-op_sepchallenge2.jpg

oldrockchick
09-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks Lin, may I put "Dr Who" entering the phone booth/tardis?

The Ducati looks interesting also.

Teh idea of the challenge is to use the ref to suit your own style and personlality so if you wish to put Dr Who please do... but I do need to tell you that the TARDIS isn't a phone box, or is it red. It is an old blue Victoriaan police box. These use to stand in the streets so that the PCs could use them to phone a direct link to the station if they needed back up.

anyway can't wait to see what you do with them... (Maybe you could put Dr Who on a Ducati :lol::lol:

oldrockchick
09-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Hi, I don't know anything about oil pastel but can I join?:wave:

Of course you can.

oldrockchick
09-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Sandra - good start with these .. Look forward to seeing what you do with the bik too.

halthepainter
09-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Wow Queen Bee, delighted to have you join us.

Pat Isaac
09-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Nice sketches, Sandra and Welcome, Queen Bee....

Pat

robertsloan2
09-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Or of course for Dr. Who fans, there's putting The Master stepping out of a red phone box instead of a blue police box, seeing as his Chameleon Circuit still works! I think he's been through a few rejuvenations too, so he could be any of several actors in a wild variety of recognizable costumes. That's what I first thought of anyway, though I might just do it for what it is.

Wonderful photos, Lin! I love the bowl of petunias, it would be very easy to do them redder. Big challenge not only doing something well in red but scanning it without having all the reds flatten out to one red-orange because of gamut issues.

Sandra, you did great on both of yours and did the challenge - they look distinctively yours!

gakinme
09-02-2010, 01:27 AM
Thank for the comments, Lin, Pat, Robert.

Another sketch of your son, Lin.

Holbein and Neopastel oil pastel
Canson 50 lbs sketchbook 8x11 inch

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2010/86669-op_sepchallenge3.jpg

oldrockchick
09-02-2010, 09:48 AM
great colours for the face Sandra - what did you use?

SunFace
09-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Great reference photos! And I am a Dr Who fan too ....:D

Sandra, great starting work!

robertsloan2
09-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Colored lights can hypnotize... you really got that "Stage Light" feeling and the mood of his being so totally immersed in his music. Very powerful portrait, Sandra.

davepuls
09-03-2010, 05:05 AM
Wow, looks like a great challenge this month. I usually use a lot of red, both in darkening greens and making more Fauvist paintings, so I'll have to give some though to what to do with these...

The flowers would be my first choice, though. I am tempted to do them in OPs and then do a further painting in impasto acrylics...

halthepainter
09-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Lin, when I do the phone booth, do I have to put in the reflection of the person taking the photo???:D

oldrockchick
09-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Lin, when I do the phone booth, do I have to put in the reflection of the person taking the photo???:D

That was Dave the human pushing my wheelchair as I take the shot.
Feel free if you wish but it isn't compulsory :P
Rememebr the challenge is to do the piece as suits your own style and personality. Put some of yourself into it!

halthepainter
09-03-2010, 09:09 AM
That was Dave the human pushing my wheelchair as I take the shot.
Feel free if you wish but it isn't compulsory :P
Rememebr the challenge is to do the piece as suits your own style and personality. Put some of yourself into it!

Lin, you take me entirely too seriously. I posted the SEG :D to let you know it was just banter. :evil:

oldrockchick
09-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Duh - I know lol.... you are up early Hal. Are you going to make a start ? Can't wait to see.
I guess you could always draw Wonder Woman jumping out of the box :P

hollyga
09-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Hal, You could put you in the phone booth and Gus's reflection in the glass as he patiently waits for you! :D

halthepainter
09-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Duh - I know lol.... you are up early Hal. Are you going to make a start ? Can't wait to see.
I guess you could always draw Wonder Woman jumping out of the box :P

I'll work on it this weekend, I have an idea for a "Whovian" theme.

halthepainter
09-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Hal, You could put you in the phone booth and Gus's reflection in the glass as he patiently waits for you! :D

Hi Holly. It would be more like my 120 pound Gus, dragging me out of the phone booth. He walks me. He often holds the leash in his mouth as he drags me down the street. He doesn't seem to realize I'm the alpha male. :rolleyes:

Mmadsen
09-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Should I be embarassed at saying "haven't seen Dr. Who, not even once!" Am I missing something? Couldn't stand Star Trek either.

So here's my dilemma, I was reading in one of this month's art mag about story telling in art. I at once, thought, I'm never telling much of a story, just showing the viewer where the hell the trees are.

So I then remember those cool phone booths when I was a kid and my folks took me to London ('75, the week Elvis died - what a random memory). I harassed a policeman for his funny hat - he and my folks were not impressed.

So - Bobbie and the pickpocket. Haven't finished the pickpocket kid yet. But I think I blew the proportions, as the policeman won't fit in the booth - I'm not sure I can fix it. But what fun yesterday was doing this while pretending to be working (it started snowing on one of the highway construction jobs I'm working on and that brings things to a quick halt). Can it really be September already?

Advice? Harassment . . . please . . . 8 x 10 on birch panel, acrylic underpainted then clear colorfixed with senns and holbeins
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2010/131193-Bobbie_and_the_pickpocket_compressed.JPG
Thanks,

Mark

halthepainter
09-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Mark I'm sorry that you social development was so lacking that your haven't been exposed to the wonderment of Dr. Who. :crying: Oh such pain and sadness. :crying: :(

Mark your Bobby is probably an ex-NBA player.:wink2: Make that your story and stick with it.:evil:

oldrockchick
09-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Mark - THIS IS GREAT! An a perfect answer to the challenge to make the refs your own. Policeman looks big because he is wearing a tall hat :wink2: :rolleyes:
This is a really lovely and impressioniatis interpretationa dn very true to the real scene especially with the white walls of the abbey on the left.

Well done you!!!! :thumbsup:

Mmadsen
09-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Well, one little street urchin and it's . . . well, like they say, it's never done so put it aside and take a look next week. But what fun. Great subject photo - Thanks! Now on to the singer, should be fun.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2010/131193-Bobbie_and_the_pickpocket_compressed_Rev.JPG

oldrockchick
09-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Oooh the finished piece is really wonderful. It stands as a fine art piece. YOu should frame this one!

halthepainter
09-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Lookin Good, Mark.

Mmadsen
09-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys, but I'm still thinking it works as two works, if cut in half. I think maybe the booth is better rendered and maybe becomes the center of interest, but the policeman . . . is a policeman so by default becomes the center of interest. Who knows . . . Happy Friday.
Oh, by the way, the acrylic underpaint before the colorfix was added I did in the complement. Do you think it was a waste of time, I'm not sure. It beats painting on white. Here's the quick pic.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2010/131193-Bobbie_and_the_pickpocket_acrylic.JPG

Thanks,

Mark

halthepainter
09-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Mark I'm of the opinion, that unless the figures are tiny distant objects, the figure is almost always the center of interest. I believe it's human nature; we want the see what the figure is doing. A figure creates a story.

lonelm
09-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Sandra great take on the singer and the flower.

Mark you have done a great job of making a story for us all to get lost in. Great job.

oldrockchick
09-04-2010, 08:45 AM
I tend to agree with Hal but the phone box is definatley part of it. I think - hmm what has the urchin been doing in that phone box....

Pat Isaac
09-04-2010, 01:00 PM
A great take on the phone booth, but I too agree that the policeman is the center of interest, especially since he is pointing the other way. It's always best to enjoy what you are doing. I like your use of color and the textures.

Pat

oldrockchick
09-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Spent a while today doing the sketch for the outline and then inked over it. The probelm I'm having now is gettign my limited printer and software to scale it up and print off so that i can transfer the outline with a graphite sheet.

I am doing the Ducati first and when people (non-artists) usually look at works of machineery theuy usually notice something awry like - ooh that shock is in the wrong place - or that doesn't connect to that. So I'm trying to be as accurate as I can and still keep it artistic.

The support is a piece of Seenelier royal SOvereign Pastel Card in a dark grew , which to me has a slightly Olive Green tinge. It is rather large but I got it cheap as an off cut. I had intended to do the Ducati as a central piece with just a basic 'scribbly' colour areound it - like a vignette, but I need to find a way to cover the scratches.

I'll photograph the sketch once I've outlined it. I may use Graphite sheet or wax paper but they are small and may not fit.

I think I'll then use FC Polys to outline the various areas. Not sure of underpaintings.... might use CP or hard OPs with some OMS. In fact that might be an idea for the 'background'

halthepainter
09-05-2010, 10:37 PM
My apologies Lin, for having a little fun with your challenge.

I'm afraid this isn't up to even my mediocre standards but here's my piece titled "The Doctor is In"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2010/140488-lores_OP_Dr_Who.JPG

Erengi's with some Senneliers on canson black art board, with two coats of clear gesso. Image is 11 by 14 inches.

I'll try to do better with the Ducati later on. First I must prepare for an art fair next weekend.

hollyga
09-06-2010, 06:20 AM
What great reference pics, Lin! I'm having trouble thinking this one out - I love all the scenes but portraiture and mechanical things are out for me - that leaves the phone booth and the flower - - hm-m-m - need to put my pea-brain to work a little more!

Sandra, what great work on Lin's son and I love the flower too! Your black paper certainly shows off your colors well - - - Love 'em!

Mark, Here's the story I'm reading in your painting. The little boy has done nothing naughty or the policeman would be pointing more at him and looking more directly at him. I see the little boy as lost from his Mommy, went to the phone booth to try to call for help (you know, "ET phone home") but couldn't reach. The policeman has seen his frantic Mommy in the distance and is pointing to her, and now he is going to take the tyke's hand and deliver him safely to Mommy. How's that for a happily ever after story! (But, then, my take on life is mostly through "rose colored glasses" anyway!:wink2: )

Hal, what's not up to standard??? I think it's a fantastic fantasy piece!

Pat Isaac
09-06-2010, 08:11 AM
What's wrong with rose colored glasses, Holly?
Great color in this fantasy piece, Hal.

Pat

halthepainter
09-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Pat, thank you.

Holly, I had a terrible time with the figure. I'm afraid I made him too short, more like Harry Potter than David Tennant whom I was shooting for. The oillies were uncoporative. I felt like I was trying to paint him wearing extra thick snow mittens. The oil pencils were too hard. I needed a softer thin pencil to try for some detail.

We had an axiom for some of the things we had to do in the Air Force: We would measure with a micrometer, draw the line with a grease pencil, then chop with an ax. That's what I felt like working on my figure.

oldrockchick
09-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Hal - you met the challenge perfectly which was to put some of your personality into the ref and make it your own. Probasbly more than I will do with the bike - still I've got the otherone I want to do too. You do underestimate yourself Hal - it's a grreat piece.... dunno what you think is wrong with it

Holly - love the story!

Mmadsen
09-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Hal,
Now that's a story. Flying through time in a travelling machine . . . booth. Man, you can have fun with these challenges. And since I had the NBA player and you have . . . a jockey! (Too short, too tall), actually Hal I didn't notice it at all, looked good. Besides it's a historical figure so the right size for the era!!!!

Oldrockchick, it sounds like you have quite a plan. Can't wait to see it.

Happy Monday,

Mark

halthepainter
09-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Hal,
Now that's a story. Flying through time in a travelling machine . . . booth. Man, you can have fun with these challenges. And since I had the NBA player and you have . . . a jockey! (Too short, too tall), actually Hal I didn't notice it at all, looked good. Besides it's a historical figure so the right size for the era!!!!
Mark

Mark, if we averaged out our two figures we would have come up with a properly sized figure.

See how the figure creates a story!!!!! :evil: :D

Lin, Thank you. Glad you took no offense at my messing with a British Icon.

oldrockchick
09-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Hal - why should I take offence - read the challenge - it's what it is all about and I expected something humourous and creative from you!

I can't wait to see what everyone else does!

Right I've made a painstaking start. A lot of the ref has dark areas of mystery so I had to speak to my motorcycle consultant (Dave (The human)), as these bike purists can be funny and say - where's the sump (or similar). As you know the challenges is to work to my own style so of course - that means DETAIL!

So after the initial sketch in my sketchbook and some fiddling with the scanner to enlarge my own simplified sketch I porinted it out so that I could transfer to the sheet using a graphite sheet.

I then wanted to ensure that I didn't get lost so with the ref to hand and some FC Polychromos I started to go over all the lines and filled in all the accurate bits with colours to make a map.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2010/179312-OP_Sept_10_Ducati_WIP_002.JPG

I started this today... After painstaking attention to detail here is my initial plan on the support.... not sure on background but I've pencilled in a very pale green. The photo without a flash makes the support look pinker. It is supposed to be dark grey but has a slight olive greeny look to it.

Wish me luck with this - I'm gonna need it to use chunky OPs for tiny lines - will probably resort to pastel shapers.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2010/179312-OP_Sept_10_Ducati_WIP_002.JPG

I'll do the background next and smooth with OMS so I dont' have to worry with fiddly bits in between wheels and other bits of the bike

Next stage is to block in and I might use light applications and some OMS.

halthepainter
09-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Lin your drawing looks fantastic.

Mmadsen
09-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Lin,
Wow, that looks awesome already.

Mark

oldrockchick
09-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Thanks Mark - I decided I wasn't going to fil the entire background but just put a 'grounding' colour. I like the flat paper surface colour. I can blend out the scratch marks....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2010/179312-OP_6_Sept_10_WIP_001.JPG

I've already got a taker for this piece before I've even finished it..

Dave wants it for his wall!

Pat Isaac
09-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Yes, it definitely does. Great start!

Pat

oldrockchick
09-07-2010, 01:11 PM
This is how far i#'ve got now and i've doen the underpainting with Misc OPs including Neos. I've applied a light brush with some Sansodor to smotth into the grain. A lot of parts I haven't even touched yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2010/179312-OP_6_Sept_10_WIP_002.JPG

I'm going to let it rest a while then resume

halthepainter
09-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Wow, Lin what a fantastic job so far. Maybe I should reconsider doing the Ducati. :confused: :lol:

Pat Isaac
09-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Coming along just great, Lin.

Pat

SunFace
09-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Lin, Love your bike. Is hard to do those details!

RainySea
09-07-2010, 11:06 PM
that's so cool looking bike already Lin. What paper is that you are using?

Coffee Break
09-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Lin and Mark, both your pieces are very inspiring.

I'll definately be having a go at the motocycle myself. Wonder if I'll get to it before September is out... :D

VladK
09-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Nice paintings everyone, hope to join you in a week... or so...
Sorry, have a project burning at work and afterwork/night stuff to prepare to my first solo show:wink2:

oldrockchick
09-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Rainy it is a piece of Sennelier Royal Sovereign pastel paper in dark grey it's rather 'Colourfixy'

GOSH
09-11-2010, 02:24 PM
OMG it's September! Thank you for hosting this month's challenge, ORC.
Nice one, gakinme. Hello, qeenbee!

GOSH
09-11-2010, 02:25 PM
This is how far i#'ve got now and i've doen the underpainting with Misc OPs including Neos. I've applied a light brush with some Sansodor to smotth into the grain. A lot of parts I haven't even touched yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2010/179312-OP_6_Sept_10_WIP_002.JPG

I'm going to let it rest a while then resume

WOW!

SunFace
09-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Lin, your motorcycle is amazing! Great job. Seems so "you".

Here is my contribution for the challenge. Remember IO have zero experience! I thought about not posting, because i feel is kind of ugly. Oil pastels are so difficult to manage!

Oh well. Here it is.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2010/154374-Oil_Pastel_September.jpg

oldrockchick
09-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Maria it is brave that you stepped out of your comfort zone with OPs. They do take a while to get the hang of. Also there are different 'feels' to different makes and a lot of it is findign the one that suits you.

For a first piece you ahev done well and I like the way you reddened' it to the theme.
Thanks for joining in. I hope you will again.

Pat Isaac
09-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Wonderful work on the motorcycle, Lin.
Nice try with the OPs Maria and the flower is a good one to start with. I hope you contunue to play around with them, as they can be addictive.

Pat

SunFace
09-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks everyone! I was a little embarrassed ....

oldrockchick
09-13-2010, 07:14 AM

Don't be.

One thing you will always find here is that despite all ebing levels and abilities we are all supportive and helpful. We wont' Critique unless you ask us to and if you ask for help and advice wqe'll give it.

We've all started out new to OPs. I learned so much since fallign into this forum. Only 18 months ago and my work has improved (I think) a lot. I've certainly foudn the materials that suit me through trial and aerror and advice from friends here.

halthepainter
09-13-2010, 08:31 AM

Don't be embarrassed. I'm almost constantly embarrassed but I post my paintings anyway. :evil:

Anitta U.
09-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Lin, your motorcycle looks great!

Maria, that's just fine for a first try, very nice colors.

I haven't participated in the challenge before, I meant to but have had very little time for painting lately. Here's my version of the flower, it's perhaps more pink than red.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2010/188757-10.9.10_054.jpg

I used this as a practice piece for my new colour shapers, I bought two to try them out. They work alright with the Senneliers but have no impact whatsoever on Erengi's, or maybe I'm just not getting the technique. Will keep trying to figure it out...

GhettoDaveyHavok
09-13-2010, 11:41 PM
A telephone booth? This calls for a banana!!!!

Pat Isaac
09-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Nicely done, Anitta and I like the effect of ruffled petals. What kind of shapers did you get?

Pat

Anitta U.
09-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Thanks Pat! I got a flat chisel and a taper point. I might try others later on.

Pat Isaac
09-14-2010, 08:31 AM
I was wondering if they were firm or soft?

Pat

halthepainter
09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Beautiful job Anita. I use firm color shapers on my Erengis and am able to blend them but I bear down and rub very hard. Of course Senneliers are much easier to blend by any method. I use Senneliers, jumbo size, for large backgrounds and regular sized Senneliers for highlights but the bulk of my work is with Erengis.

Anitta U.
09-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Oh, I didn't know there were firm ones as well, mine are soft. They were all that was available. I need to look into the firm ones next time I'm ordering art supplies abroad. Or maybe I'll look around the house and see if I find something I could use. I have a tool for porcelain painting which could work for the Erengi's, it's made of some firm rubber or silicone, it's function in porcelain painting is to wipe the paint off from small areas.

Hal, I do pretty much what you do, most of the work is Erengi's and the final layers or large backgrounds I paint with Senneliers.

rjmarchitect
09-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi Anitta! As Hal said a beautiful job:wave:

Although I don't use my Erengis that much, when I do want to blend them I dip my shaper into some trup and that helps break it down enough to get a good blend.

Russ

halthepainter
09-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Hi Anitta! As Hal said a beautiful job:wave:

Although I don't use my Erengis that much, when I do want to blend them I dip my shaper into some trup and that helps break it down enough to get a good blend.

Russ

Yes that will work but some of us use oil pastels instead of oils because we want to avoid solvents. Of course you're probably not getting very heavy fumes with just an occassional dip out of a bottle of turps.

I just watched the Mary Ann Currier DVD and that was why she switched from oil paint to oil pastels: to avoid solvents as well as convenience & no clean up afterward.

oldrockchick
09-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks all fro comments re my bike.
I need to work on it some more.
I hope to see more additions to this challenge soon :)

Anitta - it doesnt' matter if it is pinker as pink is really a version of red and anyway they are nearer to the real colour. I'ts a lovely piece. The colours work well and it is so delicate. Thank you so much for joining in and congrats on submitting your first to OP challenge -0 I hope you will do more and stay with us. As for shapers - when I order my extra firm shapers they are in the pottery section of one catalogue and called 'clay shapers'. So I think your firm porcelanin ones would work fine.

GhettoDavey - please explain the banana thing lol... I'll look forward to seeing how you incorporate a banana with tthe phone box - it will be cool!

I find oil paints easier to clean up than acrylics. which dry and if not removed when wet are impossible to shift. Oil paints - a little soap and water and voila - clean. I only use a little sovent for thining the paints when needed or for glazing and Liquin or other synthetic resins can be used instead. Washing up liquid works idea for oil paintign cleaning.

Mmadsen
09-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Maria and Annita,
Those are both great flowers pics and Maria, it appears you're a natural. Annita, I love the background and the soft highlights.

I use an exacto knife as my soft color shapers are useless with op's but great for oil paints. I love the fact that I can glob on paint and cut the shape wanted by removing the excess, course I have to mess with the edges then to keep them lost and found.

I always thought the best thing about oil pastel is the vibrancy, but I think I'm changing my mind, it's the fact that all edges are soft or just plain missing unless forced to be defined.

Mark

halthepainter
09-14-2010, 05:12 PM
I find oil paints easier to clean up than acrylics. which dry and if not removed when wet are impossible to shift. Oil paints - a little soap and water and voila - clean. I only use a little sovent for thining the paints when needed or for glazing and Liquin or other synthetic resins can be used instead. Washing up liquid works idea for oil paintign cleaning.

I don't know Lin. I just dip my acrylic brushes under running water and they rinse right out. My acrylic palette is a 12 by 16 inch piece of smooth oven glass.
If I don't bother to clean it at the end of my painting session, I just spritz water on the surface and let it set a bit and the acrylic paint comes right up.

I haven't found to be that easy.

SunFace
09-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Anitta how nice is your flower. Puts mine to shame .... :o .

Mark, thanks for the advice. Something to think about, I just started putting more and more on top until it could not take it anymore .... :lol:

oldrockchick I agree with you. Acrylics dry quickly and when they do there is nothing you can do to remove them IMO.

SammyH
09-15-2010, 09:03 AM
oldrockchick I agree with you. Acrylics dry quickly and when they do there is nothing you can do to remove them IMO.

Rubbing alcohol will dissolve dried acrylic paint. I keep it in a spray bottle and spray the dried paint. Let it sit for a while and it will dissolve although it may require a bit of elbow grease.

oldrockchick
09-15-2010, 11:36 AM
I dont' have any elbow grease though Sammy. And using solvents to dissolve dried in acrylics goes agaisnt the argument of using them because one doesn't like solvents... :S.....

Oh well.

Good to see you around Sammy - missed you.

halthepainter
09-15-2010, 12:13 PM
I dont' have any elbow grease though Sammy. And using solvents to dissolve dried in acrylics goes agaisnt the argument of using them because one doesn't like solvents... :S.....

Oh well.

Good to see you around Sammy - missed you.

I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere.......???????
I was looking for the Oil Pastel Forum?????:confused: :evil:

Great to have you looking in Sammy.

Scarefishcrow
09-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Lin: Wonderful challenge photos and sorry I have been AWOL (Life sometimes gets in the way of the fun!!!)

Everyone's done a great job and can't comment on each one.

I did want to say hello to SAMMY as I haven't seen her in a while.

Ciao

Bill
:heart: :music: :music: :heart:

SunFace
09-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Rubbing alcohol will dissolve dried acrylic paint. I keep it in a spray bottle and spray the dried paint. Let it sit for a while and it will dissolve although it may require a bit of elbow grease.

Good Tip, always learning something new .... I will try that one day! Is there anyway way to take off the oil paint?

SammyH
09-17-2010, 05:57 PM
I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere.......???????
I was looking for the Oil Pastel Forum?????:confused: :evil:

Great to have you looking in Sammy.

Hal, You've found the OP Forum. Having only completed six OP works, I'm no expert but have used acrylic to underpaint and prime five of those six pieces.

Bill, hi back to you.:wave: I've missed you and am enjoying observing what all of you are doing. Great stuff!:clap:

halthepainter
09-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Hal, You've found the OP Forum. Having only completed six OP works, I'm no expert but have used acrylic to underpaint and prime five of those six pieces.

Hi Sammy, I thought you were one of our go to gurus in oil pastels. I guess it's your incredible work with flowers.

I'm afraid if I did any more a brief acrylic layin, I would just go ahead and make it an acrylic painting.

halthepainter
09-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Here is my attempt at the Ducati, titled: "Red Rider, Red Rider." :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2010/140488-wc_red_rider_red_rider.jpg

11 by 14 inch, Erengi's on gessoed watercolor paper.
I guess, I don't like doing static paintings of objects. A dramatic floral or a landscape is OK but I just couldn't do a static Ducati.

Plus, I couldn't begin to compete with Lin's magnificient piece.

I didn't have a red I liked so I wound up using a floresent red which I toned down with a darker cad red.

Fortunately the camera and the smaller image has smoothed out some of my flaws but it also flattened some of the modelling, especially in the rider (figure that is).

Pat Isaac
09-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Great interpretation, Hal. Nice bold color.

Pat

halthepainter
09-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Thank you Pat.

SunFace
09-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Hal, very cool painting. Somehow it reminded me like a super hero in disguise! :lol:

And on that note, I attempted my third OP: Dr. Who Tardis going through a time warp. Thought it would fit the booth theme ....

Still very unhappy withe the results. Those sticks have a mind of their own :evil: :crying:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2010/154374-Tardis_1.JPG

halthepainter
09-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Thank you Maria. I was afraid that I would be the only one to do a tardis. Well done.

robertsloan2
09-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Hal, I really like your motorcyclist, such a sense of speed to him!

Maria, great Dr. Who piece! Like the way you turned the red phone booth into the TARDIS, that's too cool. Pretty much what it made me think of.

robertsloan2
09-21-2010, 02:49 PM
I finally got started on one for this challenge - this month's been a bit rough on me with weather and other things going on, but here's the start of the WIP. I did this last night to start it. I'll probably write up this one as an article since I'm scanning stages on it - thought it'd be fun to start from negative space and just block in color before detailing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2010/70184-Flower-Petunia-Pink-1.jpg

Stage one, with Faber-Castell oil pastels.

I started it at about two in the morning before I went to bed. Here's what I did now, after posting:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2010/70184-Flower-Petunia-Pink-2.jpg

Surface is a hardbound sketchbook with 65lb smooth white paper. Size is 6" x 9" on an 8 1/2" x 11" page. I might add a border once it's done.

halthepainter
09-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Thank you Robert.

It's great to have you participating this month.

robertsloan2
09-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks, Hal! Here's the third stage of my painting:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2010/70184-Flower-Petunia-Pink-3.jpg

I'm definitely going to write it up, it's coming out well. Going lightly on the early layers seems to work very well on the smooth paper.

oldrockchick
09-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Hal thata is a FANTASTIC rendition of the bike and put into action too! :thumbsup: Great work!!

SunFace (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/member.php?u=154374) interesting take - it is an excellent tardis.

There seems to be some confusion over a standard natgional institution like the old red phone box and the tardis which is based on a box used by the Victorian police (only)

Artisatic license a little stretched :rolleyes: - but then so are one's imaginations.

Robert - great to see you joining in... can't wait to see the finished piece.

I must get a move on with mine but what with hosting all weekend, and having stuff on and being really exhausted the rest of the time I couldnt' concentrate on it... probably have another go again tomorrow if I'm not too pooped.

Pat Isaac
09-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Nice start Robert. Looking forward to the progress.

Pat

robertsloan2
09-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks, Lin!

Here's the finish - I did give it a borderline of black just to set it off, it looks better than it did against white.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2010/70184-Flower-Petunia-Pink-4.jpg
Flower - Pink Petunia
6" x 9"
Faber-Castell Creative Studio oil pastels
Hardbound sketchbook paper, smooth white 65lb.
Photo reference by oldrockchick for Sept. 2010 Oil Pastel Challenge.

halthepainter
09-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Beautiful job Robert, love the dark background.

SunFace
09-21-2010, 11:24 PM
That turned out beautiful Robert!

I love the green background.

oldrockchick
09-22-2010, 05:27 AM
This is great Robert. You've even got the floppy one in at teh back. The black border sets it off a treat but then I love black and pink together.

I see from FB you have written it up so I hope your tutorial helps others.

Glad you liked th images and to see you joining in.

Is it me or are there less people participating in OP challenges over the last few months?

Pat Isaac
09-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Nicely done, Robert and it really pops against the dark background. You may be right, Lin, and I don't know about others, but I find this time of year particularly busy.

Pat

halthepainter
09-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Thank you Lin the Ducati was fun.

robertsloan2
09-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Thank you! Maria, that was the first thing I decided, to do the background areas loose, dark green with highlights.

Lin, thanks! The floppy one at the back was so familiar, I always saw those all over the petunia bed. I think that's what I loved most about the reference, it was perfect but also natural and real with one blooming and one wilting in the back.

It's not you, I think fewer people were participating recently. I wasn't participating for the past few months but I missed it, so came back. So maybe others will too.

Pat, you're right, fall tends to be a busy time for a lot of people. With kids going back to school that tends to rebound on time available. It's funny - the school year got set up around agricultural schedules, then most people didn't work on farms, but the school year still sets up a rhythm.

Mmadsen
09-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Robert,
That's great. And I like the staging photos too. We all should show more of our processes.

I don't know what everybody's excuses could be but having two kids in the last three years it's hard to find time to . . . sleep. So I can imagine a lot of things come before art, or at least posting art.

But along other lines, and this is a strange segway I'll admit, but I found the best part of joining a bookgroup was that it forced me to read things I wouldn't normally (Memoirs of a Geisha for instance - and I still think it's one of my fav's but not a book I would ever have read without the group). I think the OP challenge could/should be similiar for me at least by painting the subject out of normal comfort level (maybe a floral or whatever). What do you all think?

Thanks,

Mark

Pat Isaac
09-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Oh, I totally agree, Mark. I was very faithful for awhile, but have had a lot on my plate lately. I'll get back to it soon.

Pat

Mmadsen
09-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Oops, forgot to comment on Hal and Maria's.

Hal, I love the lifted front tire especially, show's some dynamic movement.

Maria, what struck me was the limited pallett color, it makes it tight and carries the piece, and the box is definitely flying.

Robert, I really like the darks below the flower too, pushing the flower forward so you can almost touch it.

Mark

halthepainter
09-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Thank you Mark,

paul444
09-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Wonderful work everyone, I will come back and comment on them later.
I thought I would post this now, its still in progress but I'm a bit worried about the background spoiling it. I was thinking black and dark grey all over. :crossfingers:
What do you think ?
Still got to put a few things onto the bike yet to finish it off.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2010/82968-wc.jpg

SunFace
09-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Paul that is great! Looks finished to me ... what else will you be doing on it?

robertsloan2
09-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks, Mark. I'd say go for it, dare the challenge. It's only a piece of paper and it can lead to mastering other subjects too. I know what you mean about things like the book group choices.

Paul, your version of the motorcycle is gorgeous. Why not test different backgrounds by opening the scan in Gimp or Photoshop and using a bucket fill to try different background colors and tones? I'd go for a shaded background if it was mine, or a very abstracted landscape going bluer in the distance to a soft horizon, with a road under the bike. But if you just want a color behind it you can adjust how warm or cool a gray, use a black, or even select the area and put a gray to black gradient behind it to see how that looks.

oldrockchick
09-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Paul - wonderful start - I too had trouble trying to think of a background. I used a piece of Dark Grey Sennelier Pastel paper but trying tokeep it clean is a bugger. Every little crumb makes a mess and I really didn't want to have to fill in anything.....So I've no ideas - sorry. I think Robert's idea is a good way. Or maybe print it off, cut it out and lay it on different paperrs or background ideas. I do agree with MAria though - it does look pretty near finished and a truly excellent job too!

oldrockchick
09-23-2010, 05:50 PM
I got lost in all the bits and pieces insifde the fairing so outlined with CPs......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2010/179312-OP_23_Sept_WIP_satge_3a_-_just_CP_details.JPG

Then I started on the 'real' work the top layer and contouring. Whatevewr I did I just couldn't stop my highlights going pink. but in the ref there are bits that are pink and purple.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2010/179312-OP_23_Sept_WIP_satge_3b_OPs_on_helmet_and_fairings.JPG

Photo taken under room light with no flash so a little darker and slightly 'warmer'.

Update:
Helmet - done, fairings done.

To do: -

blend and mute the overbright highlights on the red back paneier faring and petrol tank.

Pipes and mechanical bits engine etc and mounts.

Wheels

I really dont' want to have to do more background.

Going to let it rest up a bit before I do any more ... and let Me rest up too, but I shall have it done by the end of the month.

Dave has already cleared a space on his bedroom wall for it!

paul444
09-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Sandra... Great work, three lovely drawings.

Mark... A lovely picture, I love the figures you have added.

Hal... A great interpretation,the phone box turning into the tardis, priceless.

Maria... A lovely flower, very good .

Anitta... A beautiful flower, love the colours.

Hal... A great bike.... and a rider too.

Maria... An excellent tardis.

Robert... I love your take on the flower, great colours.

Lin... Your bike looks fantastic, looking foreword to seeing it progress.

paul444
09-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the advice.
Robert, I had to download a trial version of paintshop pro as I had neither of the two programs you suggested, using it I came up with a background I liked. Hope you like it too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2010/82968-wc.jpg2.jpg

Thanks again.

oldrockchick
09-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Paul - if mine turns out half as well as yours I'll be happy - This is a very polished piece of artwork - you should feel really really proud!!!

halthepainter
09-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Paul your bike is fantastic. Love the dark background, it really makes the bike stand out.

Lin I had the same problem. My lightened reds turned pink so I had to go to a floresent red for my lighter areas and muted it somewhat with a darker cad red.

Mmadsen
09-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Paul and Lin, those bikes are unbelievable. Really good work.

Mark

hollyga
09-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Paul - fantastic work on the bike - Lin, yours is coming along great, too! - and, Hal - love the Red Rider, Red Rider!

Paul, Gimp is a free program - Robert can tell you more about how to get to it. I downloaded it a while back but haven't used it much - I need the time to play with it to really assimilate all that it can do! If I am not mistaken, I think RG (Truck Driver) actually did some contributions to the program, too.

halthepainter
09-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Thank you Holly.

Sandra39
09-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Here is my rendition on the red petunia. This is my second try on painting flowers and the fourth OP painting so far.
CXC are appreciated.

Erengi & some senn.
On 140 lbs.W/C gessoed paper
Size 6.5"X8"

Sandi

halthepainter
09-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Beautiful Sandi. I like the glow you achieved around the flowers.

Your success is wonderful with such a short time with oil pastels.

Pat Isaac
09-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Excellent work, Sandi and Mark, that is a terrific bike. Nice shiny metal.

Pat

oldrockchick
09-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Thats excellent Sandy
Fantastic colours - so much true to life colour those leaves are amazing.

robertsloan2
09-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Lin, great progress on your motorcycle! I like the highlights, especially on the black leather - that is spectacular. Beautiful metal effects. Like the clean edges with the colored pencil details.

Paul, that background is gorgeous. Love the way you did it. Sorry I forgot to mention that Gimp (http://www.gimp.org) is a free program you can download. That's what I use all the time, because it does everything Photoshop can but I didn't have to buy it. Since you're using a trial version, you might as well download Gimp and keep the freebie rather than spending money.

Sandy, wow! Your petunias are fantastic. Gorgeous detail and accuracy. I'm impressed!

oldrockchick
09-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks Robert - still a way to go - might get some time later today as I've just finished my WDE piece.

I downloaded GIMP onto my old PC... not having learnt to use any image editor including Photoshop I didn't have a clue what I was doing so gave up lol.

bernof
09-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Hi Sandi, That's simply awesome the colors are fantastic
Fred
BTW I posted another bear painting in the W/C gallery called Mars or Bust

SunFace
09-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Those motorcycles are amazing! Love the blue ground in the first one...:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sandi, that is a beautiful flower. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sandra39
09-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Hal- Thanks for your compliment. I like your bicyclist in a red outfit too. Seems like he was going fast.Your complimentary greens bg set him off nicely. Your Dr. Who in the pone booth is very original. Good job!
Maria- Thanks for the good words. Your blue phone booth is nicely done. I get dizzy just by looking at it. Good effects. Your flower is real nice too. I like blue against red.
Lin- Thanks for your compliment and for a really interesting challenge. Your Ducati is excellent. Nice details.
Roberts-Thanks for your very nice words. Coming from you it's a high honor. Love your demo.
Pat- You are always an inspiration and a cheerleader! Thanks for being so nice.
Fred- Hey! Good of you for visit. I stopped at your place too. The bears are really out of this world (to Mars).LOL
Sandi
Sandi

oldrockchick
09-26-2010, 01:07 PM
FINISHED

Drawn out wiuth FC polys. For underpainting blcked in with Neos and brushed with Sansodor.
Inside fairing workings penciled with FC Polys then
Final coats worked with Sennelier.
Used fingers and firm colourshapers for details.
On Sennellier Royal Sovereign Pastel Card 20 x 16" Dark Grey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2010/179312-fINISHED_dUCATI_lOW_rES.JPG

Photo taken without flash

Here is one taken with flash

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2010/179312-Fin_26_Spet_10_-_Ducati_ST2_003_Sml_pix.JPG
Enjoy.

*flexes knuckles* and now for October........

halthepainter
09-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Glorious job Lin a real masterpiece.

Pat Isaac
09-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Fantastic piece of work, Lin...:clap:

Pat

oldrockchick
10-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks for comments all
Thanks to everyone who participated - I'll put a gallery together soon.

Turpintine45
10-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Hi Sandy, Great job on your flowers. You are really getting the hang of OP. Jen

Sandra39
10-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks Jen, and welcome back.
Sandi