PDA

View Full Version : "Art as a Way of Knowing" book

hummingbird
10-24-2002, 06:13 PM
Hi Everyone! Paintfool said it was OK to put up a post about books that help us creatively. Heres one...has anyone worked with "Art as a Way of Knowing" by Pat B. Allen? She comes from an art therapy background. Her book is written for everyone, not just artists. Like it says on cover it is about: "A guide to self knowlegde and spiritual fulfillment through creativity." Its for working with the stuff of our lives thru art --discovering our own themes, working with fear, lots of image making, using active imagination for projects, etc. It does have a spiritual component to it but its non-specific. Doesn't focus on any one kind of spirituality or religion. She uses drawing, painting, clay, mixed media. Theres lots of exercises in this book. I really like this book.

Serenity
11-10-2002, 05:28 AM
Hi Hummingbird,

Thanks so much for posting about this book. I have taken note of the name and author as it sounds very interesting and one that I will definitely look out for.

Happy Painting,

Serena :)

hummingbird
11-11-2002, 08:45 AM
You're welcome Serena! Its a great book. Theres a thread in here about using art for healing..this book is about that too. Hope you enjoy it.

Pat

TeAnne
11-20-2002, 07:40 AM
The Artist's Handbook by Ray Smith helps me a lot. It covers terminology, technique, mediums, suports, just about everything. :)

ISBN: 0 207 15628 X

mallory
11-20-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by hummingbird
Heres one...has anyone worked with "Art as a Way of Knowing" by Pat B. Allen? ... I really like this book.

I am a big fan of this book, Hummer. Pat Allen's story of self discovery through art is a story everyone who does art and everyone who appreciates art should read. The book is a constant reminder that when artists create they combine what is out there in the world with a part of themselves.

mallory