PDA

View Full Version : Your creative process?

Eclipse
10-24-2002, 02:37 PM
I would imagine this has been done on WC, but since Iím new here, I will give it a chance and try to start this thread.

Would it be possible for some of you artists out there to post what your creative processes are? I teach a class on the subject and it would be interesting to share how different artists get inspired and how this develops into creative ideas. How do you get from this creative phase to the finished artwork. Describing this artistic journey would certainly be of interest to my students as well as all of us at WC. If you have attachments to share that would even be better. Thank you for your time, Eclipse.

El_Elegante
10-24-2002, 02:59 PM
I get divine visions and then paint them.. often without really thinking about it...

RobinZ
10-25-2002, 01:45 PM
I walk with my dogs every morning. Nothing like nature and observing the boundless energy of a pitbull!

timelady
10-26-2002, 02:14 PM
I take a camera and sketchbook whenever I'm going to be near water (river, lake, etc.) I sketch ideas, make notes of things that struck me, and take photos. Sometimes I just open the images (digital camera) and then sketch from them some more, or a play in photoshop and crop them to find a good composition. In the studio I sketch some more in a large sketchbook - do several composition sketches and a tonal study.

I find it very important to visit galleries and art shows for inspiration - maybe to remind me of important techniques (composition, composition, composition) or to see a new way of working.

Tina.

wall-flower
10-29-2002, 01:42 AM
I get most of my inspiration from walks in the park with my partner as we feed the squirrels. I find that nothing inspires me like nature. Lines, curves, colour, symetry, chaos... it's all there for the watching.

blondheim12
10-29-2002, 06:34 AM
I do many, many pochades (small oil paintings or field sketches) on a regular basis. I find that they are the best tool for the creative process of painting. Rather than sketches, which are another medium, the pochade is a direct route to larger more complex paintings. They teach color, composition, form, etc. very quickly.
Love,
Linda
http://dougie.net/epotw/

TedB
10-30-2002, 10:20 PM
surely the first step in doing whatever creative act i do is the importance of having either a visual experience or idea implant itself within.

being a plein air painter, the visual encounter with a specific location can do the initial 'speaking to me.'

once i intuitively get the fullness of the message (a matter of a few seconds) i can begin a direct painting. most works are alla prima, though some require second encounters with the subject.

the compostion/design moves quickly.....color is mixed, applied, and before long the work is complete. for me, one hour to 3 hours.

the process of seeing, simplifying and stating what one sees becomes intense enough to lead one through all the phases of painting the scene.

this is my experiential process for painting plein air.

working in studio requires a different approach. often, on reflection, it's a belabored approach. to compensate for the lack of the REAL SCENE, i find it necessary to inject additional processes which implore my imagination to enter into the process. this especially when needing to really imagine being present at a given scene, even when not.

these, briefly stated, are basic to my process of painting.

ted

Blueyog
10-30-2002, 11:22 PM
I always keep some paper near me. And each time I have some free-time, I doodle. Everything, I don't think while I draw. And when I look at what I've done, I often have inspiration for complete drawing. My best ideas have appeared that way :)

hummingbird
10-31-2002, 12:58 AM
I get ideas when I'm relaxed. Lately when I've been in the tub. The last couple things I did for projects here, I got the idea for in the tub.

Pat

impressionist2
10-31-2002, 07:55 AM
I get fixated on things and paint them to death! it's good for producing a series.:)

I usually paint what I really enjoy. I go there, bring three cameras. Then, come back home and search each photo for the perfect compositions. Design is key and the foundation of the "house".

Then, I put the whole thing aside and paint from memory, picking up the photo just to jar a perspective or something.

The paint starts flying and I work very fast. Short sessions of a burst of energy. I let it sit and tack up and then I go back in a couple of hours later and punch up the colors.

In my mind, it's all about color relationships and how they bounce off each other. Also, I like what's going on, on my palette. Sometimes, I'll place a blob of cad. red light on top of a passage of thalo green light mix on the palette and I will just stop painting and watch it. Color is everything.

Renee

ikre8t
10-31-2002, 10:04 AM
I have files of tearsheets from magazines and the like I put in appropriate titles. Or I let my hand do the wandering on paper. It amazes me what little strokes of shadow and lines will bring up.......Before I know it .........an image and I run w/ it. Many times I go over old sketches that at the time were nothing. And now they grow.

busy91
10-31-2002, 11:29 AM
I usually get my painting ideas at night when I'm drifting off. I'll think of something to paint and if it is still with me in the morning, I'll get a sketch out as not to forget.

DSPIT
10-31-2002, 02:45 PM
I don't have a particular pattern for creation. Most of the time, I get inspired to do something, by something else I have seen. I ususally sketch these and block out ideas then take them to the next step.

Another thing that happens, I doodle. A lot. Especially while on the phone at the office. Manytimes, this transforms into an idea.

I have constant flashes of imagery in my head throughout any given day. The problem with that is I normally don't have the ability to sketch them out right then and there. Work or family tends to disrupt that process. By the time I get around to a particular idea. Its awful grey. However, many times when I do this, even though I can't quite remember, it turns into something I like.

I am also personally driven by acceptance. Not saying it is right. But if someone sees something I am tinkering with and they like it a lot, it gives me more confidence and I get a little more fired up to do more of it.

Dspit

Jetsam
10-31-2002, 02:54 PM
Most of the time I paint from what's in my head (a jumbled place, to be sure!). But sometimes I'll take an old photo, newspaper clipping or found object that I've set aside and start drawing from that. I start with a part of the image (nose, roofline, etc.) and then finish it differently. Often the beginning of a line will suggest something else, and I try to go with it. Kind of like automatic writing.. I don't know what will be next, until it's done. That can be quite a fun process.

Epic Dewfall
11-01-2002, 04:09 AM
I have 247 paintings from lucid dreams. I walk around looking at
paintings in my lucid dreams and reproduce the ones I like
after I wake up.

Wayne Gaudon
11-01-2002, 08:46 AM
my inspiration comes from all directions in and out but are and visual stimulis
.. usually I see something that sparks me and then I try to find something that I have in my files of "Future Paintings" that I can use the spark against .. then what happens is anyone's guess.

playing with left over paint can spark some good idea's for the next piece.

Paintonbrush
11-02-2002, 06:39 PM
I stage all the time, stage still life, people doing things,
I get up to and sometimes more than 4 rolls of film developed every week.
can sometimes be 3 paintings in one photo.
today, I say a horse herding hudreds of sheep, I was in the wrong lane to pull over tho..sometimes that can be a problem. ;-)

silver_wolf_2002
11-05-2002, 03:53 PM
i know i may be young, and I've found that because of this, I don't get much respect, but I get really inspired from movies. you'll notice that most of my posts are portraits of actors, and I don't post most of my pictures. I won't do a picture from just any movie however, only one that i really enjoyed. This is why i hate doing comissioned portraits. I don't even know who I'm drawing!

AndyRichardson
11-05-2002, 04:45 PM
I look to nature to provide me with the raw stimulation. But then I have to find a way to re-see what I see. I try to find an interesting passage to enhance, and build a value pattern around that passage. I incorporate tension from one part of the painting to another in order to stimulate a viewers' eye movement which synchronizes with the dynamics protrayed. I try to minimize description to just the important passage(s), and merely suggest the rest..allowing the viewer to imaginatively fill in the details.

qaziasif
11-06-2002, 03:23 AM
my creative process starts from the point which mostly people dont think.. i keep things in my minds special points and then take pictures of that subject. and add my thoughts in that picture. I belive to become a creative person first thing is your observation.

learn to know your dreams, learn to find bueity in nature, feel the expression of nature. think obout the simplest and search the way you can express it.

I mostly have some idea of my subject before painting and then i go out and search the idial way of expression.

Chadda
11-11-2002, 12:27 PM
I read a lot and become inspired by not only my research, but by pretty much whatever crosses my path. Lately I have been doing metaphores. Plus Adobe PhotoShop and a digital camera have been great in terms of widening my horizons.

margaretmcart.tripod.com

Just some playing.

BRIDGES
11-11-2002, 03:09 PM
My creative process starts with a blank white wall, door, canvas,etc. Cannot stand lack of color on these. I did a bathroom white solid door with floral bouquet, headboards above the bed with wrought iron look, and fish/seaweed near a pool door. Put a large white canvas in front of me ,a brush and or knife and viola I have color on there in a few hours.!!
Bridges
www.cactushill.com/Mall/HelenB/default.htm

Eclipse
11-11-2002, 04:41 PM
Thank you all so much for your comments and answers about your creative process. I will share some of these with my students, they are all quite interesting.

Eclipse

Pilan
11-11-2002, 11:46 PM
when I am not in a block or need of creative help I just look at the blank paper or canvas and begin to see shapes and colors. Its crazy but i do and then i would sketch them and paint.

gredelin
11-13-2002, 11:41 AM
Robin: I walk with my dogs every morning. Nothing like nature and observing the boundless energy of a pitbull
Substitute dogs for kids and it's exactly what I do - walking can solve any problem! Also having dogs or children with you makes it less embarrassing to be talking to yourself, which I do a lot...

Silver_Wolf: I get really inspired from movies
Me too! There is so often great lighting, and interesting-looking people - I just want to stop the VCR and get a pad and pencil. Haven't actually done it yet, though.

I also keep a notebook with me, to jot down ideas that arrive during the day. Not much sketching, mostly words.
/Gunilla

TeAnne
11-14-2002, 07:57 AM
I have no studio, so I'm very limited to what I can create. :(

Right now, my muse is away on holiday :(