PDA

View Full Version : Water In wildlife Art

animal
10-02-2000, 07:03 PM
I was wondering how to paint water for wildlife art paintings(ex.goose swimming,heron fishing).I would love to learn how to paint birds and wildlife realistically in water or on land,maybe there could be lessons on painting wildlife in artschool online,anyone else agree

LarrySeiler
10-02-2000, 08:23 PM
Animal...I hope you have checked out my lesson online for designing and putting together an entree for duck stamp competitions, if not..here's that url-http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Composition/Ducks/

You'll see some examples of ducks swimming, their reflections etc;

I have a few lessons online too, that show me painting outdoors on location, along rivers and lakes and some of those may help. I'd say about 90% of my paintings over the past 25 years have involved water of some kind.

My advice...check out a lot of paintings featured in good art magazines and get in touch with your feelings about what you like, what you don't. When the sun is positioned high in the sky...it washes out the reflection in the water, and the subject will appear darker than the reflection. When the sun is lower in the sky...it makes the subject appear lighter than the darker reflection.

You have to be careful that the reflection doesn't have so much detail that it distracts from the viewers attention which ought to be given over to the subject, so it must intentionally be played down a bit. That is...less interesting than the duck.

Sometimes...when the water is shallower, the reflection (blocking the sunlight) allows the viewers eye to see into the shadow and the transparent water below. For example, you might see some rocks...the foot, etc;

Hope that helps....

Larry