PDA

View Full Version : pet portraits

animal
07-03-2000, 11:19 AM
I was wondering what you should charge for pet portraits in acrylic or pencil

sandge
07-03-2000, 06:57 PM
You might be better asking this question in the Art Business forum. Take a look in there anyway as you may find threads such as Calculating Prices, and Gallery Representation of interest.

Generally, it's a good idea to have a look at artist's producing similar work to what you have in mind and who are at a similar place in their artistic career and see what they are charging. That will give you an idea of the market.

best wishes
sandra

[This message has been edited by sandrafletcher (edited July 03, 2000).]

tami
07-06-2000, 03:00 PM
In addition to Sandra's excellent information, you might also want to keep in mind that many people commission pet portraits as a gift item, and price your work with that in mind. It helps to have a range of prices, from "I drew your name at the office, so here's a mug because all I know about you is that you like dogs," to "I like you, but I'm not spending over $60," to "I really, REALLY adore you, and when it comes to proving my love, dear, money is no object."

It's good that you provide pencil portraits, because they can make relatively inexpensive gifts.

-tami-

LookOfEagles Racing Art (http://www.lookofeagles.com)

one who sees
07-13-2000, 06:27 PM
agree with most said...but may this one please add....that time involved in creating the image......and the size of the image should as well go into caculating the price.....and be consistant...if a 9X12 pencil is sold to one person for one price...you get a referral...and then your price is different...might erase your market...