PDA

View Full Version : Good Experience with Sennelier Half Set

learning to paint
08-27-2010, 12:16 AM
When I venture out, it's usually with a backpack filled with boxes of Girault pastels. They're lightweight, and easy to handle in the field. I love working with them, but Sennelier offers a richness of color, and in some cases, a range of color, that's beyond Girault's reach. Carrying full sized Senneliers into the field is not always fun--some sticks crumble, etc.

So: today I tried out my half-stick Sennelier set (landscape edition). Very good choice of colors. Stubbier, fatter, more solid-feeling sticks. That nice softness and coverage that I cannot get from Giraults. Only one crumble (and not too bad a crumble at that).

Of course, now I'm faced with a challenge. I used more of a certain blue than I expected. Soon, I'll need a replacement. Not available as individual half sticks.

That's my only complaint. Of course, I could buy a full-size (which is certainly reasonable), and break it in half. In time, I'm sort-of hoping that Sennelier will release individual half-sticks. Maybe they will. Meantime, I had a good day today.

Anne-Marie
08-27-2010, 12:48 AM
That's great that you are venturing into new things and that it's working out for you! Yay!

WC Lee
08-27-2010, 01:54 AM
the half sticks are great, aren't they? Anyhow, I wouldn't replace it with the regular stick of sennelier but rather with a mount vision. I have the 80 half stick set and used the light blue rather quickly and instead of using the regular stick of sennelier (which will most lightly be used up in one session), I replaced it with a mount vision with is slightly harder so it doesn't wear down as fast.

RainySea
08-27-2010, 01:04 PM
So great that you are enjoying it! Look forward to seeing your work done with it. I have that same Sennelier Landscape half stick set. May I ask, do you find that any of your sticks are hard? Most of my are lucious and soft, but there are three or four that are really hard, or at least have a hard coating on outside that has to be gotten off. Its my first Senneliers so I don't know if this is normal. Thanks.

robertsloan2
08-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Rainy, I have the 80 assorted Sennelier half stick set. That's normal for Senneliers. Most of them are super soft but they don't adjust the binder and add more filler to soften up the ones where it's something about the pigment that makes it hard or crumbly. If it really bugs you, there's always replacing just those colors with another brand that has a texture you like more.

Overall I like them enough that the Sennelier 525 color super wood box set is still on my someday-when-I-have-space-and-budget wish list. It has a few rivals, but if I lucked and found it on eBay or someone gave it to me or something, I'd be thrilled and probably not look farther.

SillyBaZilly
08-27-2010, 06:06 PM
I agree with W.C. totally about the Mt. Vision's. I just picked up a bunch of "blues" today and they're perfect. In fact, every Mt. Vision stick i have is perfect. The release so well to the both smooth and sanded surfaces. What makes them even more special is the person who makes them. I can't say enough nice things about him. Try the Mt. Visions, you will be more than pleased.

GhettoDaveyHavok
08-28-2010, 07:27 PM
I've always though about buying the half sets. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us about these pastels. :)

JPQ
08-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Which hues are harder ?

learning to paint
08-28-2010, 11:22 PM
I tried some Mount Visions. I find they ride harder and do not produce the richness of color that I get out of the Senneliers. They're grittier, too. A somewhat similar solution is Great Americans, but to my surprise, some of my Winsor Newton pastels performed better. I'll keep reporting in as I experiment, but right now, Sennelier half sticks seem to be best of all. Tomorrow, I'll compare against Unisons, too.

PETE K
08-28-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm willing to be the one that broke up in 086 goldish/orange yellow. you could get the blue half stick set for 9.99 ASW or Blick. there is 2 deep dark greens that i can't do with out. one is in the set the other is not. but i just love them. now as W.C. said MV you can get single sticks from Blick for 3.00 not quite as soft but great large sticks they go a long way. I use them alot in my skys. plus other places.