PDA

View Full Version : Today's Art Class--a blog for you!

Deborah Secor
08-26-2010, 06:57 PM
I thought there might be some of you who would like to peek over the shoulders of the folks taking my weekly art class. I started a blog where I'll be posting my class instructions and ideas each week (when I teach.) The blog will give a brief idea of the class structure, and list what the students need to bring, as well as sometimes showing results if there's anything to see. (And if I can remember to bring my camera! :rolleyes: ) It's really meant to be information for my current students, as you'll see, but ideas are free and fun to share, so I thought I'd invite people to look in. Right now we're just barely getting started, but today's class is listed there for you to see.

http://todaysartclass.blogspot.com/

Tell me what you think!

Kim34
08-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Looks great, I wish I could be there to participate and learn in your class!!

Kim

Yorky
08-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Another wonderful contribution.

Thanks Deborah.

Doug

Dougwas
08-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks for sharing your knowledge again, Deborah. It is already interesting and you just started it. I look forward to seeing the class paintings. I will be checking in weekly.

Thanks again.

Doug

Deborah Secor
08-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Oh thanks, Kim and double Dougs! :D I'm happy to share.

I should mention that I usually work in pastel at class, but not exclusively, and most of my students use pastel, except for a couple of folks working in acrylic and in oils.

I did a BIG painting today, completing about 60% of it in class, and I shot some photos with a friend's camera. When I get the pix I'll post them on the blog, and I'll probably start a thread on my WIP at some point.

Judibelle
08-26-2010, 09:54 PM
What a treat, Deborah! I look forward to following along with each class.
Thank you so very much for all your generosity....
Judi

Nansketch
08-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Deb, This will be really interesting -- look forward to followig along.

Nancy

Paula Ford
08-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Looks wonderful Deborah!! The next best thing to being there.

Deborah Secor
08-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Good, the more the merrier. Maybe you all can give me some good ideas for classes, too. :thumbsup:

Anne-Marie
08-27-2010, 01:07 AM
FANTASTIC! Thank you for this!!! I'm really excited. Wish I could take your class in person--

Yorky
08-27-2010, 05:07 AM
I subscribed to the RSS feed in Google Reader. As you say lots of the information is generally applicable.

Doug

Deborah Secor
08-27-2010, 04:06 PM
I wish you could, too, Anne-Marie!

Doug, I think the classes can be applied to all different media, especially now that I have students using acrylic and oil, and of course some gouache, too. I taught the class using nothing but pastels since 1989, until recently when I branched out a bit myself. And I really hope to get some dialogue and ideas going for anyone teaching, or for someone taking a class who wants to point the teacher to a specific experiment.

appydax
08-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks Deborah, I have signed up by email.
Looking forward to reading/seeing more.
Thanks again for allowing us to peek.

Sharron

chewie
08-27-2010, 06:15 PM
this is great, i am not in the position to go to much these days, and i am feeling pretty left out! this will help considerably! thanks!

Deborah Secor
08-27-2010, 07:12 PM
You're welcome, Sharron and Chris. I'm going to try not to post too much, maybe just twice a week, as I don't want to overfill people's in box with more e-mail than they want.

Please let me know what else you'd like too know when you visit the blog.

Alberto P
08-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks Deborah, I am suscribed. This is another good site to visit frecuently ... thanks a lot!!!

saramathewson
08-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Love the new blog Deborah, thanks!

I so wanted to take classes with you when I was living in Albq., but it just didn't work out. that was the one thing I really looked forward to when moving there. I'm not in Mpls. close to family and friends and I think that is important for me right now. But this is wonderful to be able to see what goes on in your class and learn from it this way. I so appreciate it!

Sara

Devonlass
08-28-2010, 11:56 AM
I just subscribed - I know this is going to be useful to me. You're so generous to do this Deborah.

Deborah Secor
08-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Glad to have you along, Alberto, Sara and Carol.

I just added a neat pic of a color chart one of my students sent. I'm pretty sure that the program doesn't send updates--at least I hope not, since I want to be able to add pics without having people get e-mail after e-mail! Let me know if that becomes bothersome so I can curtail things...In time I plan to do a post of the class on Monday and an update of it on Friday or Saturday sometime, but right now I'm adding things daily.

Deborah Secor
08-30-2010, 04:15 PM
The class I posted today takes a little cooperation and a small group of people who want to play together. Maybe it's something two, four, six or eight people could do on WC as a small group challenge. I break a photo into sections and have each one paint only a part. We assemble it at the end of class. It has a hidden learning motive: matching values and recording accurate placement on the page! Take a look and see what you think: Class Collage. (http://todaysartclass.blogspot.com/2010/08/class-5-september-2-class-collage.html)

allydoodle
08-30-2010, 05:09 PM
This is so very nice of you to do Deborah. Thank you! I'm looking forward to following along to see your class's progress.

The collage is so cool :cool: ! It's a really neat idea, and something that could be done if a bunch of artists are putting together a show with a theme (landscapes, still life, portraits, whatever) - a great invitation, and to display the original in a frame at the show. Hmm...... something to consider!

Again, thanks so much for the blog! :)

Deborah Secor
08-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Glad you like it, Chris. We had fun making the mystery painting back in 2005, enough so that one of my students mentioned it as an idea to use for this session, just for fun. It's a blast seeing how the whole picture comes together despite the different colors used.

We wanted everyone to have their own painting on the postcard we sent out for the show, and this was one way to show unity and diversity. The painting was in the foyer, so it was the first thing customers saw as they walked into the show. They would immediately find the part by the artist they came to see, but they'd also look at the paintings and wonder who the one was who made that pink part, or whatever. It was a good way to do it, so if anyone wants to borrow that idea, it's yours to use...and make your own

You're welcome. Come share with us over at the blog!

winecountry
09-04-2010, 04:26 AM
you are probably one of the most inventive teachers I've encountered...lucky students!

CM Neidhofer
09-04-2010, 06:57 AM
We've done this project a number of times here at WC. I've hosted a couple of them myself, along with Cori...Khouriana..who started us off with the idea originally. (Wonder where she is these days..haven't seen her here in a very long time). Anyway, it is a fun project and when all the pieces are put back together, it's always amazing just how well we all placed our piece of the puzzle!

The class I posted today takes a little cooperation and a small group of people who want to play together. Maybe it's something two, four, six or eight people could do on WC as a small group challenge. I break a photo into sections and have each one paint only a part. We assemble it at the end of class. It has a hidden learning motive: matching values and recording accurate placement on the page! Take a look and see what you think: Class Collage. (http://todaysartclass.blogspot.com/2010/08/class-5-september-2-class-collage.html)

Deborah Secor
09-04-2010, 10:52 AM
I think I enjoy teaching as much as I like to paint--well, almost! Thanks. Colleen.

I do recall that there have been projects like this collage, now that you mention it, Christine...but it has been a while! Maybe sometime in the future someone will start one up again. It's fun!

I posted the results of our class collage on the blog so you can see ours, if you're interested, plus a couple of other photos of palettes and projects.

the drover's dog
09-06-2010, 02:29 AM
Thanks once again Deb for sharing your knowledge. I've signed up to the Google feed and look forward every morning to seeing if there is an update on the Class blog or the Book blog. Never feel guilty about filling people's inboxes with good stuff. That's what we signed up for. It's only unsolicited mail that irks one.

Dale

Grasshopper
09-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Deb, I just found your blog! Am I blessed or what!!!?

Deborah Secor
09-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Dale, that's a good point. I guess I just don't want anyone to get fed up with trivia! I'll try to keep the posts to the subject at hand. :) I'm planning twice a week, since I post the book blog once a week, too. Then I'll occasionally post to my two others, Art and Faith and my Gouache blog. (Good grief! I'm a blogging fool.)

G-hopper, I hope you are blessed. :D

And I posted the next class today, on Memory Painting. (http://todaysartclass.blogspot.com/2010/09/class-6-september-9-memory-painting.html) It's a blast. This is something anyone can do any time, so take a peek at the plan and paint along, if you like. I'll post results on Friday, if all goes according to my plans, that is.

Deborah Secor
09-13-2010, 05:32 PM
I hope you all saw the results of the Memory Painting class. I was pleased to see that a couple of my students had small breakthroughs. :D

I wanted to let you know that I just posted another class today. This one is on the Emotion of Color (http://todaysartclass.blogspot.com/2010/09/class-7-september-16-emotion-of-color.html). I'm challenging my group to find a photograph that holds an emotional context for them and paint it using color that enhances the feelings. Join us!

Potoma
09-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Thank you for sharing this. I am unable to take a class this term, so perhaps I can substitute yours instead.

robertsloan2
09-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Thank you! I'm really enjoying this one. Found it looking at some other post of yours and thought it was fantastic. It's so cool seeing what you're doing in the in-person classes. Wish I could visit and go to one of your workshops though. Ah, someday...

chummiebear
09-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Deborah,
What a wonderful experience to see your class at work, wish I could be there. I finished one today, on paper, but am anxious to try Wallis sandpaper.
Will surely watch for more. Thank you so much.
Pat in Nova Scotia.

Desiree
09-16-2010, 09:36 AM
I am so excited about the blog, thanks for sharing it with us. I wish we could be virtual students and submit pieces too! Bless you for your generousity!

Deborah Secor
09-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks, Robert and Pat, and Desiree! I may offer some kind of online classes sometime. I've had it in mind for a while now. I'd probably just have a private class blog where we could share. It's not in the doing stages, just the thinking part now. I'd want to show short videos and haven't learned how to make them yet. One thing at a time! :D

Deborah Secor
09-17-2010, 12:21 AM
Today's class was so much fun! If you like color, you have to take a look at this one (http://todaysartclass.blogspot.com/2010/09/emotion-of-color-class-results.html). Hope you enjoy it!

Sueb
09-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Deborah, I signed up to follow your class. You always have so much good information to share. Your on line classes are a good idea and I'l bet you can get a lot on people to sign up for them. Earlier this year, I took an online class and loved how it was presented. I'm remembering the class size may have been 12-15, due to the private feedback and instruction. I had to drop it early though. I was in the midst of a flood restoration claim and it was was just too time overwhelming for me, at that time. I would do it again though and not try to overlap it any other serious business.

Sue

Deborah Secor
09-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Good, Sue, glad to have you along for the ride. Flood claims sound like no fun at all! :eek:

I think the idea of small sized classes is good, when I can finally get the time to do this. At some point I'll start a thread and ask a lot of questions about how to do an online class--I have lots of thoughts on it. Considering how much learning goes on here at WC I think an online class would be a natural extension. I never have enough time to devote to individual questions as I would like, but if I was being paid I could. Well, maybe next year! :D

Sueb
09-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Deborah, I'll be watching for your on line class! Sue

Deborah Secor
09-27-2010, 01:35 PM
There's a new post devoted to the next class on The 3-D Painting (http://todaysartclass.blogspot.com/2010/09/class-1-september-30-3-d-painting.html). I hope it will be helpful to folks to play along. Ask yourself what makes the illusion of three dimensionality on a two dimensional page? I also posted a poll there for people who might be interested in online classes.

Hope you enjoy it!

Deborah Secor
09-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Oops--I removed that online class poll for now... It wasn't working the way I need it to. Maybe later. I'm open to your thoughts on online classes, however. Thanks.

robertsloan2
09-27-2010, 05:45 PM
I'd be very interested in an online class, Deborah. I don't expect to be able to travel to take one of your classes in person but I'd love to.

Deborah Secor
09-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I haven't any workshops or classes planned, but it's nice to know people might be interested. Thanks, Robert. I just posted a thread asking for people's input about their experiences so I can consider this idea further. I'd like to talk to some other teachers who offer them.

**Please keep in mind that I'm not allowed to do any kind of promotion or advertising here on WC, of course, so let's just discuss the idea and then I'll ask you all to check my blog/web page in the future.** :heart: