PDA

View Full Version : Daily Scumble 21.10.02

KarenU
10-21-2002, 09:27 AM
Good morning all! :D I had mentioned previously that I had matted and framed a large pastel and hung it in my house a couple of days ago....only to realize that I had pastel dust on the inside of the glass. Well, yesterday afternoon, took the whole thing apart, cleaned the glass, gave the pastel some good hard whacks on the back, put it all back together, hung it up and guess what.....yup.....still more pastel dust on the glass....arrrrrgh!! Guess I'll either have to add more distance between the pastel and glass (this is only single matted) or spray with fixative.

Hopefully, in my travels today I'll get to the art supply store. Need to pick up gum arabic as I'm itching to try some of the techniques from Katherine's thread "Pastel/mixed media".

Hope everyone is having a good day/afternoon/and or evening....dependent upon your location :D

See you in the threads!

Luvy
10-21-2002, 09:41 AM
Oh My goodness. My puppy just ate a small piece of black pastel. Of course on my carpet. If something drops she usually finds it before me. It's in my carpet not sure if it's going to come out but mostly worried about how it will affect her. Anyone know if puppies can injest pastels safetl?Not even sure how big of piece she got. Maybe about an inch long piece. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

On the bright side. I have dark dark green carpeting So will look like a shadow LOL
So should I call the vet or will this pass? *S* So to speak?

KarenU
10-21-2002, 09:55 AM
Oh my Luvy!!.....Just to be on the safe side...I think I would call the vet.

llis
10-21-2002, 12:00 PM
Yes.... do call the vet.

Then, if your puppy is white, look for little black spots to start appearing. (just teasing)

Hope everything will be okay. Our pets are precious to us.... don't know what I would do without mine. :)

bnoonan
10-21-2002, 12:41 PM
Karen,
I found a pretty good spacing method that works for framing.

If you are going to mat the piece of art, cut 3/4 - 1" pieces of foam core strips the length of the mat.

Take double stick tape, and use it to adhere the foam core to the mat. Keep the foam core 1/2" from the bevelled edge so it doesn't show. I find this works great for allowing space for the dust to fall away from the glass.

If this doesn't make sense, I'll have to do a drawing and take a photo of it.

Back from Seattle and totally exhausted. We had to get up at 4am to catch a flight. When i get a chance I'll post art from the workshop last week. I took progressive photos.

As for dining on pastels.... doesn't sound healthy for anyone - call the vet.

Barb

KarenU
10-21-2002, 01:00 PM
Yes Barb...that's what I'm thinking too with the foam core. I'm not going to do anything with it until after the company is gone. I'll just have to cringe all week looking at the pastel on the glass! :(

Well it sounds like you had a fulfilling week! Can't wait to see the progress shots...I'm sure they'll be wonderful!

Katherine J
10-21-2002, 11:38 PM
I too had to get up at 4:00 to catch a ferry to the big city of Vancouver. It's an all-day excursion as I travelled about the city by bus. I'm exhausted as well - wish it had been for something worthwhile like art galleries, or a workshop. That'll be in November.

Off to life-drawing tomorrow. Sorry to have to tell you that, Karen!