PDA

View Full Version : painted plate

Aqua Artist
10-20-2002, 06:16 PM
Okay I went and bought these pebeo paints after losing a $1500 tile job because I had no experience and no kiln. I thought I would start small and gain some hands on experience painting anything white in my cupboard. be kind, this is my first plate, but also be honest ! They say that these paints will withstand just about anything, anyone else have experience with this paint?
this is a little church down the road in Stony Fork, va.
Thanks!

sassybird
10-21-2002, 02:27 AM
I have never used those paints before. Did you paint this on stoneware? Did you have to fire it afterwards? I'm really interested in this. I would love to design my own dishes. Is the paint safe to eat off of? I have heard that some are not.

Please give some more details of how the paint moves on the surface, if you had to prime the surface first. Shoot, why don't you do an article :D

Aqua Artist
10-21-2002, 08:37 AM
The paint is Porcelaine 150 and you do not need a kiln.
I painted on an already glazed plate. First you clean with denatured alcohol to remove any dirt or oil. It was slippery painiting but not all that difficult. after painting you must set aside your work for a day to allow drying before baking.Then You place in a cold oven and put it to 150 degrees. You turn off the oven after 30 minutes but let the piece remain in the oven until it cools..don't open to look as a draft may crack the ceramic. after this process, the plate (or whatever) is lightfast, solvent resistant and dishwasher safe and yes, you can use it for serving dinner! I put my plate through the test running it through the dishwasher and scrubbing it and it passed the test.
You can get a sample of paint with brush and video for only $20.00 at Micheals Arts and Craft store. I found the video quite helpful and there were some interesting techniques revealed, such as using a record player for circular designs. this plate was done freehand but the video showed ways to transfer your drawing. I thought this would make an inexpensive, but well received Christmas gift.
I hope this answered must of your questions? If not, feel free to ask more:)

sassybird
10-21-2002, 12:56 PM
You are right about it making a great Christmas gift! Want my address? :D Seriously though, thank you for the explanation. I want to give this a try. Although I have access to a kiln it is nice to know that this technique does not require on. We don't have a Michaels where I live, but I know they have a website. This really would make a great article. Would you consider writing one through our publisher here on WC? You could do a step by step tutorial with progress pics. Let me know if you are interested in doing an article. I'm the publisher at the moment, and will gladly give you any advice or help should you decide to tackle such a project.

Aqua Artist
10-21-2002, 01:22 PM
I would be glad to do an article. I could take step by step photos of my next project. You could send the instructions on how to do this by sending me an e-mail if ya want.
Thanks!

sassybird
10-22-2002, 01:44 AM
I sure will :)

arlene
10-22-2002, 12:14 PM
What a great xmas idea...looks great.