PDA

View Full Version : WIP Sketch

crazy_cat
10-20-2002, 10:44 AM
Ok I started on this at 3am and this is where I am at. No photo ref. Just decided to start with the skin and hair. Once this one is completed I will add mom and dad over her shoulder, probably on the left. Gotta finish this one pretty soon but boy this is something to do. I never had this type of problem when I sketched on paper. It has to be a brain thing.....:cat:

TeAnne
10-20-2002, 12:29 PM
I will be watching this one crazy kitty :D:cat:

plumpfairy
10-20-2002, 02:00 PM
:D Aloha CC!
I'm in your corner rootin' ya on!
I don't know if this will help or not......but, what I use for skin tones is my Airbrush in Photoshop....set at different levels for different needs. I don't BLEND with a smudge tool....I use the different levels of pressure intensity to achieve shading....and of course different colors too.
Does that make sense?
jana:D :clap: ;)

crazy_cat
10-20-2002, 03:56 PM
Thanks TeAnne and Jana. Yeah Jana I use my airbrush 98% of the time. I will try without the smudge. I think I will get better results. It is coming along nice!!! I will post an update later today. Thanks for being in my corner on this on gals. This is a tuffie for me. Strange..that I can do this on paper but digital oh my it is getting the best of me!:cat:

crazy_cat
10-20-2002, 09:15 PM
What do you think of the skin tone? Too dark? It looks ok on my monitor but I like to get other opinions from the outside. Thanks!:cat:

crazy_cat
10-20-2002, 09:59 PM
Ok here is where things are now. Been working on highlights, hair and background.

crazy_cat
10-20-2002, 11:50 PM
Ok last update for tonight. Time to eat din din....:D

plumpfairy
10-21-2002, 09:07 AM
:D Looking good CC! I like the eyes too!
I feel silly about what I said regarding using the Airbrush tool:rolleyes: OF COURSE you use it! Duh? Sorry 'bout that CC.
I should've asked you first...jeeze...O.K. I'm a pumpkin-head!:rolleyes:

crazy_cat
10-21-2002, 09:26 AM
Thanks Jana. Working on the ears since about 3am....no zzz's:( Hey no prob on the brush. It is working better since I am shading with the brush and not the smudge. Thanks for the tip!:cat:

R.Masters
10-21-2002, 10:21 AM
I like it, specially the hair.

crazy_cat
10-21-2002, 10:57 AM
Thanks! Fighting with the ears right now. There is so much more to do and I did this without a sketch or pic so I think I am just inflicting pain on my one brain cell! :D

crazy_cat
10-21-2002, 01:27 PM
Ok here is an update. Working on the ears and clothes. Still have major work on the skin/hair/eyes, etc but this is a good base. :cat:

crazy_cat
10-21-2002, 01:30 PM
grrrrrrrrr one more time:D

plumpfairy
10-21-2002, 06:57 PM
:D Nice ears CC! Are ya havin' fun yet?;) :D
jana:D

crazy_cat
10-21-2002, 07:07 PM
OMG what a day! I have more to do on the skin...well the entire thing but I have been putting the clothes together and such so I can get a good base and then dig in....Gonna be a long night!

crazy_cat
10-21-2002, 10:50 PM
Ok update for the day....

plumpfairy
10-22-2002, 08:01 AM
:D Mornin' CC!
WOW! Your preserverence is paying off! YOU GO GIRL! This is looking very good!

crazy_cat
10-22-2002, 08:03 AM
Hey Jana! Thanks! I am going nuts! My one brain cell hurts so bad!:D Still have so much to do on this but maybe before I am 80 I will get it!:cat:

plumpfairy
10-22-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by crazy_cat
Hey Jana! Thanks! I am going nuts! My one brain cell hurts so bad!:D Still have so much to do on this but maybe before I am 80 I will get it!:cat:

:D Well, CC, I'll still be here rootin' ya on no matter how long it takes! tee-hee!;)

crazy_cat
10-22-2002, 09:58 AM
Ha ha ha ha Jana...:D Thanks!

crazy_cat
10-22-2002, 10:56 AM
Ok working out some details today. Here is an updated ear...:D

crazy_cat
10-22-2002, 12:10 PM
Ok I am having a conversation with myself here...;) :D This will be the last update for today. I will save the rest for another day....:cat:

Evana
10-22-2002, 05:26 PM
that looks really nice! i love the hair, and the colouring is really nice! :D

crazy_cat
10-22-2002, 05:33 PM
Thanks Evana! Glad to see you back here:D

plumpfairy
10-22-2002, 05:45 PM
:D Lookin' good sista! Wow, you've been a busy bee today!

crazy_cat
10-22-2002, 05:50 PM
Hey Jana! Yep buzzin around like mad. My bum looks like my chair I have been sitting here so long!

crazy_cat
10-22-2002, 06:26 PM
I need help!!!! I need to add a dark shade in the areas where the white arrows are. If you look at my previous pic posted today you can see I have hair there. It needs to be just a dark area yet blend in with the hair and neck. Right now her neck looks like it belongs to a line backer! I have tried shading on different layers and it just looks out of place. It is her hair just dark like a shade. I hope this makes sense!

captan
10-22-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by crazy_cat
I need help!!!! I need to add a dark shade in the areas where the white arrows are. If you look at my previous pic posted today you can see I have hair there. It needs to be just a dark area yet blend in with the hair and neck. Right now her neck looks like it belongs to a line backer! I have tried shading on different layers and it just looks out of place. It is her hair just dark like a shade. I hope this makes sense!

I'm having a hard time figuring out what the problem is...

I think you're main consern is that you have thoo little darks (in the shadows) to make it "pop" if you get my point. But that's what you're trying to do? Right? And it looks odd when you do? Maybe it's that you havn't got enough dark shadows on the face that makes the shadows on her neck look strange... I, well,... ummm.. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I know: try a rough dark shading on the entire piece (sketch all existing shadows again - but darker - in a separate layer) to test if this is your problem. Maybe it doesn't look odd if you try this...

Anyway, it's nice of you to share your WIP this way. Looking good so far...

crazy_cat
10-22-2002, 07:34 PM
You got it. That is what I am gonna try next. When I add the shading it looks like she hasn't taken a shower in quite a long time! Thanks for the reply!!!:cat:

digistyle
10-22-2002, 08:43 PM
'Cat, I think that maybe the shoulders are too high. If they were lower, it would allow you to elongate and taper her neck. Then, you could do more with the shadows from the interior of the hair near the neck.

digistyle

crazy_cat
10-22-2002, 09:12 PM
Thanks Digi I see what I did now. When I shortened the hair I also cut down the skin tone of the neck and made it shorter. Thanks!!!!:D :D

**Edit this isn't working...grrrr!!

crazy_cat
10-23-2002, 10:45 AM
Ok I am trying to shade to show her features and it is not going well at all. Here is an updated pic. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!:clap: :clap: :cat:

crazy_cat
10-23-2002, 02:23 PM
Ok I won't post anymore updates....just wanted to show how the shading and nose are coming along. She is starting to look human! :clap: :cat: Thanks Greg for all you emails, links and attachments. They really helped!:D

crazy_cat
10-24-2002, 01:34 PM
Ok I know I said I wouldn't post anymore but you know me....just gotta post. I have been working like mad on the nose/lips/mouth area. Looking ok I think. Starting the eyes today. Please comments and suggestions are always welcome!:cat:

Elsby
10-24-2002, 02:37 PM
CC

The hair is great and yeah so are the ears. I am glad she has her eyes in now though as she was a bit spooky without them :D

She neither looks too bright nor too dark on my monitor.

Elsby

plumpfairy
10-24-2002, 03:13 PM
:p CC...I think the shading is coming along just fine.....takes me oodles of layers to get there.
May I say....the hair-line around her forehead could use some softening? But, you probably allready know that;)
I see you're trying to fix the neck too....looks better.
I enjoy viewing your progess....post as much as you want or need!
jana:D ;)

crazy_cat
10-24-2002, 06:24 PM
Thanks Elsby and Jana! Yeah Jana working my way up the face...so to speak!:D I have a lot more to do on the hair and forehead for sure...well the whole darn thing! This has been really hard to do something I can do with my eyes closed on paper but put me in front of a monitor..yeah right! I appreciate they support everyone!:cat: :cat:

crazy_cat
10-25-2002, 08:25 PM
I will post an update this weekend. Working on the hair and eyes right now.:clap: :cat:

Ceu
10-26-2002, 09:49 PM
wow this looks great, skin needs a bit more , but you know what to do.
Can't wait to see what comes next:)

crazy_cat
10-27-2002, 12:04 AM
Thanks Ceu! This one has been a tuffie but I am gonna finish it! Will get an update out soon. Thanks for the comments!:cat: