PDA

View Full Version : Fyi

sassybird
10-20-2002, 03:48 AM
Folks, digital work is very new to me. I don't often comment due to lack of knowledge in the medium, but that does not mean I don't look at your work. It amazes me what you folks can do with those programs. I appreciate the work, and always enjoy reading the 'how to' threads. I am learning a little each time I come in the forum. Now whether I am ready to give up my printing for digital is another matter....lol But, I hope to learn enough from all of you to use programs for planning out my etchings.

crazy_cat
10-20-2002, 08:12 AM
Thanks for stopping in Sassybird. Nice to meet you!:clap: :clap: :cat:

jsr88
10-20-2002, 09:37 AM
Sassybird...Hi! :)
Yep, Digital Art (as well as digital photography) is a great stepping stone to and for other endeavors. Just a warning, though...don't get TOO CLOSE! :D You could find yourself hopelessly involved in a new addiction! ;)

Maybe when you're working on some of that planning you could show us how you are doing it, here on the DA forum. I'm always interested in seeing how people use their graphic software for other than photo manipulation or computer drawing/painting.

Thanks for dropping in...:)

TeAnne
10-20-2002, 12:35 PM
Hiya Sass :D

plumpfairy
10-20-2002, 01:53 PM
:D Hiya Sassy!
Glad you stopped by!
jana:D

sassybird
10-20-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by jsr88
Sassybird...Hi! :)
Yep, Digital Art (as well as digital photography) is a great stepping stone to and for other endeavors. Just a warning, though...don't get TOO CLOSE! :D You could find yourself hopelessly involved in a new addiction! ;)

Maybe when you're working on some of that planning you could show us how you are doing it, here on the DA forum. I'm always interested in seeing how people use their graphic software for other than photo manipulation or computer drawing/painting.

Thanks for dropping in...:)

Julie, the only programs I have for digital manipulation now is "ArcSoft PhotoFantasy 2000" which came with my computer. I don't even have Photo Shop....lol Maybe when I am not under the gun with other projects I will pick up a program to see what I can do with it.

If anyone has any advice for a novice regarding these programs please put your two cents worth in.

jsr88
10-20-2002, 05:01 PM
Sassybird...Here's my 2 cents worth.

I think, probably, the most useful, versatile and least expensive graphics program for the novice user is PaintShop Pro. It has lots of features, and enough "bells and whistles" to keep a person busy learning for quite a while.

If a novice were to be a member of the WC! and come into the Digital Art forum, there are enough people who are familiar with the program that they could get help easily.

I think there's also a downloadable trial version.
You can check out their site at
http://www.jasc.com

sassybird
10-21-2002, 02:38 AM
Thank you, Julie. I will check out the site and if there is a trial download I will certainly give it a go.

One other thing I was wondering if anyone uses the pads to draw on with a stylus? I have seen them, but never used on.

crazy_cat
10-21-2002, 05:53 AM
Hey Sassybird! I used PSP in the beginning but found it didn't do what I wanted as I am a web/graphic designer so that means lot's of clipping/minip, etc and very little sketch work for the business side. On the personal side, art is my passion and pshop has more then enough possibilities for my sketchwork. So instead of using two programs I decided to consolidate to one and pshop met all my needs. As for the tablet...Wacom's are the best. I use an Intuos2 9x12. It is rather large but I can set two screens on the tablet and work from there. Most people buy the Graphire which is around 80-95.00, US, depending on where you get it. It comes with a pen and mouse and will change your life forever! I couldn't do without mine. Use it all the time, even for regular apps. If you go to www.wacom.com you can see all the tablets they carry. Mine is a medium priced tablet and they have them from 80.00-2000.00 yes you saw that right!:D

plumpfairy
10-21-2002, 09:00 AM
:D Hey Sassy!
Well, around here in Digi-land, you ask a digital question and you'll get oodles of info and helpful tips!
Here's my 2 cents.....
I got my WACOM 1 1/2 years ago.....4x5 tablet w/pen...for about $125.00 from WACOM online. It comes with Adobe Photoshop LE. While being quite
"limited" (IMHO) it is a very good beginning software. Very easy to learn and use.
WACOM also has "re-furbished" tablets for sale online. (but none that I could afford).
Also, you might wanna check out e-bay....lots of WACOMS there too! (e-bay just frustrates me though).
I couldn't do Digital Art w/o my beloved WACOM!

jana;) :D