PDA

View Full Version : Daily Scumble 10.18.02

chookbrown
10-18-2002, 08:10 AM
Morning All!!! Yahoo, Yippee it's Friday here... and if I'm quick enough it'll still be Friday down unda when I post this!!

So what does everybody have planned for the weekend??? Art fairs, chores??? Hopefully something fun!!

I have the last volleyball game of this season and then off to Omaha to buy Halloween costumes for my girls (15 & 13) but they still want a new outfit each year... we have lots of Halloween to catch up on since they only got here at ages 10 & 8 ;)

So tell us what yer up to??

Cheers,

Colleen:D:D:D

Redsy333
10-18-2002, 08:49 AM
:D Im up to 5'9 how bout you Aussiechook?
(ducks as chooky throws shoes)
Mornin all!
Working on that yuk commish of mine..lol It is my full intention to throw this one out the car window driving 90 miles an hour:D:D:D But must'nt give up eh?
Weekend..um Soccer tonite! Then with Harvest still on , pretty much sitting me bum behind the wheel of combine. Yeehaw:rolleyes: LOL
Why the hell are you going to Omaha for a costume???? lol sorry just a random thought there>
Dont you have stores in Nebrakeyaskyalater??? Just tie Corn stalks around them girls and they can be Children of the Corn!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Okay nuff being a brat!!:D
Cheers:angel: hehe

chookbrown
10-18-2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Redsy333
[B
Why the hell are you going to Omaha for a costume???? lol sorry just a random thought there>
Dont you have stores in Nebrakeyaskyalater??? Just tie Corn stalks around them girls and they can be Children of the Corn!! [/B]

Not much of anything in Lincoln... but in Omaha they have a Nobbies store with hundreds of halloween costumes and other stuff... sort of like an annual pilgrimage... that and we have to drive past the punkin patch to get there... Trouble is I'm the only one interested in going to the punkin patch this year and that's just to take photos!!! Don't know if the long lines will be worth it..

:D

KarenU
10-18-2002, 10:10 AM
Morning all!! :D Well the sun is still struggling to make an appearance in my neck of the woods. Seems like it's staying darker so much longer in the mornings all of a sudden.

My weekend is going to be devoted to finishing up the last minute preparations for our guests arriving next Tuesday. Don't have alot left to do, so I'm sure some of my time will be spent in the studio :D One thing I HAVE to do this weekend is find some full spectrum bulbs for my studio. Sheesh...I was in there last night trying to work and everything has this yellow cast to it from the regular bulbs I'm using in my ceiling cans. I have got to get that changed, or stop working at night. Redsy...I did end up working on that piece last night...I'll post it when it gets light enough to take a pic.

I was reading about a technique last night using turpenoid to spread the lower layers of a pastel. Well since I've been doing charcoal underdrawings lately...I thought it might be interesting to try the turpenoid on the charcoal layer before applying pastel. I'll let you all know how it works out. I think I could possibly get a much darker value drawing using this approach? We'll see!

Hey Laura...(from yesterday's thread :D ) TIffin!! I know exactly where that is. Small world isn't it. :d

You all have a great day and I'll catch you in the threads.

TeAnne
10-18-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by chookbrown
Morning All!!! Yahoo, Yippee it's Friday here... and if I'm quick enough it'll still be Friday down unda when I post this!!

So what does everybody have planned for the weekend??? Art fairs, chores??? Hopefully something fun!!

So tell us what yer up to??

Cheers,

Colleen:D:D:D
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Great minds think alike lolol I asked this in the Cafe. lolol
I'm off to bed now,11:11PM fri.

Enjoy your week end girl :D I have to work *ugh*

Redsy333
10-18-2002, 11:54 AM
Okay I just recieved my past due box of new Unisons 72 set!
My wonderful postman (not) left the box dangling by a string in the wind on my mailbox post:(
Then when I got it in the house....lol I notice its well taped!
So well taped that there are like 6 rolls used on this sucker! You think Im kidding right, I'm NOT...lol I BROKE a pair of Utility scissors trying to get this baby open. (mind you Im anxious as hell anyway) It is so bad that my 3 yr old goes and gets her toy tool box to help Mommy out!!
Finally I get the box open (Insert happy cheers), But wait....the inside is wrapped like 4 times in bubble wrap...and...yep you guessed it....TAPE....hoards and hoards of tape!!!
They taped it up like it was one solid sheet of tape:eek: !!
By now I am done with this...I whip out this knife from the kitchen that looks like something to kill a Dinosaur!!!!!
After fighting thru the tape for 15 mins....TADAAAAAA I hit the jackpot! All 72 in perfect condition, with not even a crack:D:D:D!
So I guess all the tape did some good??? lol
And now I am ready to break into FORT KNOX!!!! I feel like this morning ordeal has prepared me for the strongest of safeholds!!:D:D:D:D LOL

Now off to break my pastels:D

KarenU
10-18-2002, 11:58 AM
Hey Redsy...I don't know if you bought from the same seller on eBay as I did...but it sounds like it! My set arrived in basically the same Fort Knox condition! :D Took me forever to get through all that tape. A few of mine were broken...so maybe this seller has reverted to using even more tape!!! :evil:

Katherine J
10-18-2002, 12:34 PM
Can't believe I'm doing this, but I just finished packaging up a bunch of Christmas cards to get ready for selling at this gallery where I volunteer. I don't even like Christmas and don't send cards, but my lino cuts sold really well last year and I'm going to flog them again! They're so labor-intensive I just want to get rid of them and not think about them again.

Now it's time to get down to real art. I want to post something on my pear project and do some more pears stressing different colors.

I'm going to be watching the World Series tomorrow, and I bet Karen is too!

KarenU
10-18-2002, 01:06 PM
Lino cuts....did I hear someone say lino cuts!!!? I love lino cuts Katherine...as of matter of fact..I've just started trying a few myself. As if I don't have enough different things going on artwise! I'd love to see your lino cuts Katherine.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have a really hard time sticking to just one medium consistently. I'd love to know what others do as well. For me, let's see, obviously pastels, acrylic painting, jewelry, cutting my own cabochons, watercolors (occasionally, when I feel I can tolerate the stress of this medium! :D) mosaics, antique refinishing (only done a few of these), wood carving, lino cuts, glass painting and lately I've been doing alot of reading about different forms of printmaking.

So come on gang....what else does everyone do besides being fantastically in love with the medium of pastel? :D

sundiver
10-18-2002, 03:59 PM
Lucky me..I'm off to the cottage :) for the weekend, with a shovel :(, to put new weeping tiles into the septic system!! :( :(
(Maybe I'll tuck my pastel pencils into my bag in case there's a spare moment)

Katherine J
10-18-2002, 04:55 PM
Yikes, Karen, when do you sleep?! I'm with you on being all over the map (and also your comments about watercolors!), but I'm just a newbie in oils, and acrylics. Doing some collage which I like a lot - did one for a 9-11 show here. Also doing somethiing with pastel, mineral spirits and gum arabic which is lots of fun. I'll post a couple here.

I'll try to get a photo of my lino cuts - don't have digital, so it will be a bit. I actually don't use lino any more since it aggravates my tendinitis. I use Speedy-Cut blocks by Speedball. Do you know those? - like cutting butter.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2002/Late_volunteers.jpg

and

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2002/Monkshood.jpg

chookbrown
10-18-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by KarenU
So come on gang....what else does everyone do besides being fantastically in love with the medium of pastel? :D

I'm glad it seems that a few more of you are all over the place also... I have always wanted to try lots of different things. I started out in oils moved to watercolor... two years ago started colored pencils which I love... joined WC and found pastels and lots of encouragement... I paint terracotta pots, knit, crochet, paint murals, window signs, house refurbishing, furniture finishing, sew soft furnishings, am learning stained glass, macrame hangers (years ago) and lately took a Raku pottery class... yowzer that was fun!! Next month the silk painting is gonna be fulfilment of another long time desire.... so yeah, I'm all over it....

Colleen :D

KarenU
10-18-2002, 05:16 PM
Yeah...I'm interested in alot of different things, but they kind of come and go. I almost always am working in pastels and acrylics, but all the other stuff comes and goes as I find extra time :D

If you don't mind...could you post your images in a new thread and explain how you did these! They are fabulous. I love to see experimental stuff and love to hear how it's done. I know there are several other members who like trying different mixtures and techniques as well. I don't know that I've ever used gum arabic. I've combined pastels with oil pastels and acrylic medium, used turps, combined with charcoal..done watercolor and or acrylic underpaintings. I just love trying new things! :D

Yup...I did a couple lino blocks and then ran across the Speedy cut blocks and you're right...it's like cutting butter! Don't think I'll ever go back to lino.

I think it would be great to do a lino print and then combine it with pastel....hmmmmm...maybe that will be the next adventure! :D

Katherine J
10-18-2002, 05:26 PM
Sure, Karen, I'll post those and try to explain. I guess it's mainly pastel work, but could be mixed media.

Alisa
10-18-2002, 09:44 PM
hello everyone! I promised myself when I first read about this daily scumble I would make time to be a part of this community! And here it is three whole scumbles later and I'm just now saying "HI!!!!!!!!" :D

Been working hard on a commission, jesus and three angels at a conference table looking at books and lists of "souls" they are "saving". I'm sneaking my name in there somewhere.
I had a hard time getting the eyes of jesus just right- perspective on his face is straight on, but eyes needed to be looking down a bit. He kept looking stoned, drunk, or asleep LOL. I was so frustrated. Trying to do this out of my head mostly. I finally got my husband to pose for me, needed his eyes, he had just gotten up and really had no idea what I was doing. Later when he was fully awake, he seemed pleased and a bit shocked to be a part of the face of jesus LOL. Anyways, it worked, got the eyes just right :angel:

All my work for commissions has been in black and white, this is my first color- yikes! I'm still so new at every colorful medium. I tried so many but never "mastered" one in particular, so I'm a bit scared, but I'm doing it anyway with fingers crossed and a prayer.

Hope to play with pastels this weekend, something fun, other than that i have no big plans. Well, actually taking my mom thrift store shopping which is fun.

Oh, karenU- I like watercolor, plain old black charcoal for portraits, and of course pastels:) I like making jewelry- necklaces, bracelets. No glass firing and hand made bead type stuff, just browsing a few select bead shops and creating with what I come across there. I use to sell 'em on occassion, now it's just for fun.

sundiver- poor poor sundiver LOL....three frowns and only one smile. Yep, bring pastels with, ya never know!

for anyone buying pastels on ebay, how do you know who to buy from? I've never bought off ebay, but could use help in saving the money, just afraid of getting ripped off.

Have a good weekend everyone. Hope I'll be posting on Monday a pastel I worked on over the weekend. Preferably something absolutely so stunning and incredible my husband will fall to his knees and ask if I would like a studio built in my honor. heehee. A little drama is good for the soul :rolleyes:

Alisa~

KarenU
10-18-2002, 10:36 PM
Ohhh Alisa...you got me rolling in laughter girl!!!! One pun after another...you outTa go into comedy....just what I needed this evening...THANKS! :D

Alisa
10-18-2002, 11:47 PM
oh yeah Karen? LOL. The images below are still all in very ROUGH SKETCH pencil/charcoal stages, jesus needs more refining, but thought you might get a laugh with them after reading this. I was laughing too writing this down realizing how crazy this entire week and commission has been. Trust me. First off i was told the angels had to look older and heavyset than I first drew them. They said they had to be older females, more jowly, more lines on the face (I'm not joking here!)...okay that describes me a BIT, and I'm okay with that look to a point LOL...but as an artist you can imagine trying to compose this- and I'm thinking the wings had to be proportionate. No flowing hair, buns and braids would be best...nothing blowing in the wind even. Turns out I did'nt do it quite like they asked, looks better and they're quite happy. But then they said my first Jesus (who they wanted sitting at the table) had a pot belly, just ate a huge meal, yada yada yada...so they decided HE should be standing anyways LOL. Then with the eyes, they had to be looking down at the angels so that's when he got the drunk look.

This foundation I'm doing work for is catholic, and the woman who runs it is absolutely FANTASTIC humanitarian and business woman btw:) I just have trouble understanding what she is picturing when she tells me what she wants LOL.

Anyways, an artist friend of mine was drawing a fish for her kid when she recieved an email of my rough comp from me on this work. So she in turn sent me her fish which was adorably funny! I was so frustrated with getting the work "right", I added her fish to my jesus angel scene. We titled it "chomps (fish's name) visits Jesus"

thanks for listening to me vent and giggle, writing this here really put my week in perspective and got my weekend started on a great note- thankYOU!

here's the rough with "chomps"... and here's jesus who as I said is still in rough stage but coming along. I intend to complete this commission!

Alisa
10-18-2002, 11:48 PM
"Chomps visits Jesus"

KarenU
10-19-2002, 01:07 AM
LOL...."Chomps visits Jesus". Good thing you've been able to keep a good perspective through this whole thing. Sounds like changes were coming at you left and right! Hope you have a fabulous weekend! :D