PDA

View Full Version : An Interview with Harley Brown

joolee
08-20-2010, 11:12 AM
For those of you who admire Harley's work, there is a special treat in this month's Pastel Scribbler on the Pastel Guild of Europe's website. Harley very kindly agreed to be interviewed and was extrememly generous with his answers. Here is the link - http://pastelguild.com/Scribbler/Pastel_Scribbler_Aug2010.pdf

Enjoy!!

Jools

Kathryn Wilson
08-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Wow, what a great interview - thanks for sharing with us. There are definitely little gems in this interview for all of us to keep close to our art heart.

Paula Ford
08-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Wonderful! Thank you Jools!

ryster007
08-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Excellent- I'm going to read it on the bus home!

Thanks for sharing
Ryan

gingersnap
08-20-2010, 01:08 PM
This was a great article! Thanks for bringing it to our attention!! ginger

allydoodle
08-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Harley Brown has always been one of my most favorite pastelists. His portraits are remarkable. Use of color, strokes, so full of confidence. Thanks so much for posting this. I will print it and keep it for future reference.

P.S. Was that our own Charlie with a few of her paintings posted in the 'Scribbler'? I think so, and they are beautiful :thumbsup: !

sketchZ1ol
08-20-2010, 02:20 PM
hello
thx much !
:} Ed

PeggyB
08-20-2010, 02:23 PM
I just read the entire Scribbler (before my first cup of coffee!), and have but one word to say, "WOW!"

OK, a few more words. Charlie you have produced a very good newsletter, and the interview with Harley Brown is inspirational beyond words.

Peggy

*AquaMarine*
08-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Oh Jools, thank you so much. This was (is) wonderful!!! What a treat!

ginny

Colorix
08-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Jools, this is a wonderful interview, so well thought out! Harley is fantastic! Such a treat! (After all the noise I made about changing things, I didn't!)

All praise (and lots of it!) to Jools/Julie, (she's the Author, well, together with Harley, of course) she initiated the interview, contacted Harley, thought up and wrote the questions and arranged them in a logical order.

I said "thank you so very much I'll put it in the Scribbler".

Thank you, Peggy, the Scribbler is an important part of what we do, love it that you like i!. There may be a few back issues on the site, too. (Or they'll get there, sometime. We moved webhotel, so things are a bit messy.)

Oh, we had to change the domain to a .com, so it is pastelguild.com, but the .eu will take you to the Pastel Guild of Europe's website.

Charlie

DAK723
08-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Great interview! The Scribbler is one of the things I look most forward to!

Don

Dot Hoffman
08-21-2010, 12:13 AM
Wonderful, wonderful interview. Thank you!

joolee
08-21-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm so pleased you like it.

Charlie, you are too kind. Yes, I asked the questions but Harley was way, way more generous with his answers than I ever anticipated. I nearly fell of my chair with delight when he sent them to me - so the credit goes to him. And you did a great job of putting the pictures to the words. The close ups are fab!

Hope we encourage a few more people to join the Guild :D

Jools

Ruthie57
08-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Well done Jools, it's a great interview! His work is stunning. Just going back for another look......

Tracy Lang
08-23-2010, 10:26 PM
What a great interview...love the photos too! Thank you so much for posting it! Harley Brown is and has been such a huge inspiration to me. Love him!!!

Tracy

SonyaJ
08-24-2010, 10:47 AM
What a great interview! I first became familiar with Harley in International Pastel magazine back when it was still printed. Loved his articles in there, and they always had more impact on me than most other artist's articles. When his book came out, I had to have it. It was a cherished part of my reference library, and I read it from cover to cover a few times even years before I'd resumed painting.

The USPS managed to lose a box of books that I was shipping back home this winter....the Harley book was in the box :(. I'm still sickened by the fact I'll probably never get another copy, since it is so difficult and $$ to replace.

So, to read more of his words of wisdom is a treat. He is truly a gifted artist and a real treasure of a human being.

Thanks so much for the article and posting the link to it here!

mang
08-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Great article, he's an amazing artist.

akacooties
11-25-2010, 02:55 PM
That really was an interesting interview. As for '...I had bill collectors after me, rent due, food to buy and no money coming', I can attest to that - I remember my mom doing laundry in the bathtub with a plunger for a while in the early seventies.

But I can also attest to my sister and I never being hungry, never going without and always happy as kids.

Dad was, and remains, an awesome dad and has earned every ounce of what he has now.

Mike

PeggyB
11-25-2010, 04:16 PM
That really was an interesting interview. As for '...I had bill collectors after me, rent due, food to buy and no money coming', I can attest to that - I remember my mom doing laundry in the bathtub with a plunger for a while in the early seventies.

But I can also attest to my sister and I never being hungry, never going without and always happy as kids.

Dad was, and remains, an awesome dad and has earned every ounce of what he has now.

Mike

:thumbsup: Mike this is a wonderful testimonial from a son to father. Thanks for sharing, and on the Thanksgiving Day of the U.S. :)

Peggy

Colorix
11-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Mike, thank you for commenting, and showing a glimpse of the heartwarming love.

akacooties
11-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks - I have something to upload from dad but as I've only ever posted once I have to post this little note before I'm allowed to upload pictures or URLs. - Mike

Mike_Beeman
11-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Would love to have read this but can't open it!

joolee
11-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Welcome to the forum, Mike!!

It must be fascinating for you to read what your Dad writes about his early life.

Of course, he is my hero :D .

Sonya - oooohhh noooo. I hope you sued for compensation :evil: .

Jools

makinart
12-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Hello my friends,
And Joolee, Mike has the "inside scoop" about me. In fact, stuff I can't remember. I do recall when he was 6 months old, we put him in a hammock overhead of us in an airplane to England. He slept all the way! That's how babies traveled. We were in London for two years.

I'm sure Mike remembers me in the studio after we returned back to Canada; I was the father with the strange job of being an artist. Each day was an event for us.

Mike can now reflect back about those times. It took him a while, but he's now smarter than me, still I can draw better than him. It also helps that he never took up art. cheers, Harley