PDA

View Full Version : Terry Ludwig's "Dianna Ponting" set

chuas2
08-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Anne-Marie,
Photo can't do it justice. The colors are much much richer than this but it gives you an idea. Like I said, primarily dark leaning toward cool darks but the yellows and oranges are positively electric!
Chuas
lets see if the uploader works...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2010/208492-Painting_Ponting_Ludwig_Setv2.jpg

Dougwas
08-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Oops. My bad.:)

Anne-Marie
08-19-2010, 07:07 PM
WOW--that is GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Am feeling now a little buyer's remorse about the Salmagundi, as those electric colors are what I yearn for! sob! :crying:

chuas2
08-19-2010, 07:19 PM
All of the colors on the right hand box are a bit deeper than they appear in the photograph. It is a magnificent collection!

If you're interested in any of these (the Ponting set) colors, I also did a color chart and can send you the number/name of the stick(s)!
Chuas

Anne-Marie
08-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Fantastic! Yes, yes, yes! But maybe you should post the list instead? I'm sure once people see these, they will be most curious!!!

allydoodle
08-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Oh my, these colors are lucious! I'm wondering if the darks on the right are included in one of the Ludwig dark sets? Beautiful colors in this set. Especially for still life work!

chuas2
08-19-2010, 11:51 PM
I'll post the list, but I just went to Terry's site and did a quick scan. Looks like between the Darks I and Darks II, 25 of these are included in the Ponting set. I'm guessing there are probably more that I missed. And it is heavy on the dark violet based; 20 count.

Absolutely Chris, a still lifer's dream set!
Chuas

saramathewson
08-20-2010, 11:45 AM
What a gorgeous set! gotta love TL pastels!! I have the Maggie Price Basic values, the MP grays, the lights and both dark sets. I want to get some of the confetti colors, haven't gotten any of those yet. I love the 90 green set too. So many colors to choose from!!

Sara

robertsloan2
08-20-2010, 02:49 PM
That's a strong group of reds and yellows! The greens look a little muted but the blues and violets look intense and the darks look luscious. Interesting to see what Dianne uses most too, that's another point - she seems to get by without intense greens but love those darks. I guess having a lot of variety in darks does lend itself to dramatic contrasts and realism on black shiny things.

chuas2
08-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I don't think she's much of a green person. She is however a red and purple person. Can't wait to try something with those zinger oranges!

mrking
08-20-2010, 05:10 PM
This is the photo of her set from her website...

http://ponting.com/images/DRP-darks-small.jpg

JPQ
08-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Bit odd set maybe no greys,and black and white? i know all maybe dont need them and many premade set is odd.

chuas2
08-21-2010, 12:26 PM
mrking, many thanks for the much better photo!

JPQ, I see this as a "supplement" set. For those of us who have foundation pastels, who like Dianna's work and want to have colors similar to what she often chooses for her palette. I don't think this is, by any means, a starter set or a set to rely on completely. At the workshop she also had some beautiful Holbeins, a full set of NuPastels and a lot of Unisons.

You are correct; gotta have your neutrals, whites and blacks!:wave:
Chuas

chuas2
08-22-2010, 09:07 PM
If this isn't clear enough, I'll key in the color names on a separate sheet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2010/208492-Painting_Ponting_Ludwig_Setv3.jpg

JPQ
08-22-2010, 09:29 PM
To me set looks nice autumn/fall set.

Anne-Marie
08-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Very cool, Chuas, and clear as a bell. I'm excited to do a comparison to the ones I've collected and then fill in the holes with the ones that I like and don't have. Thank you!

Lynndidj
08-23-2010, 08:34 PM
I've been to the Ludwig site and don't see Diana's set listed there - do you just order them by number or something?

Lynn

chuas2
08-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Hi Lynn,
You would need to call and ask for it. Funny though, it was a early birthday present from my husband, so he called and they said no problem, they'd get it to us straightaway. I asked him who he spoke with and he said some guy named Terry. I had to laugh.
You will not regret getting this set if you do, it's a glorious set!
Chuas

ponting
10-11-2010, 01:10 AM
How nice to find this chatter about the set of pastels Terry and I put together. Just to set the record straight in regards to a few comments.

This are a set of darks, not a foundation set. This is to take me deeper than any regular set of any other brand goes. There are some dark greens in there and would have like some more browns but Terry didn't have what I needed at the time however, the next time I am there, I will probably revamp the set as he is constantly adding new colours.

If you are looking for this set, just email Terry and ask for them.

Cheers, and thanks Di:cat:

GaryNorthants
10-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Nobody makes purples, reds and darks quite llike Terry. I have a large set of Unisons and many Sennelier darks but Terrys still have the edge and are always my 'go to' sticks to pack a punch. Nice collection and typical ( for me) of the best of the best
Gary

scall0way
10-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Nobody makes purples, reds and darks quite llike Terry. I went to a workshop with Maggie Price this summer and she had some of Terry's pastels for sale. I bought one of his "eggplant" pastels and it's one of my faves now! I also bought his ultramarine blue set from her also and I love it. I'd been looking all over for some nice cool blues and couldn't find them anywhere. Now I have them in every value. :D

Plus she had a bunch of really cute heart-shaped pastels that Terry had made, that she gave out as freebies to the class. We were each allowed to pick one, our choice of color. I picked one sort of an interesting cantaloupe sort of shade.