PDA

View Full Version : Mixing ink Help?

jmchick
10-16-2002, 02:21 PM
I got pretty good with pen and ink and wanted to try in color and i know the primary colors Red Blue and Yellow and i know how to mix them to make the secondary colors but to get other colors like red-brown and teal and maroon and colors like that i dont know the proper mixture like for green i use 3 drops of yellow and 3 drops of blue will make green
and 2 drops of red and 2 drops of blue make purple but not sure how to make other colors Im looking for a website with mixtures for lots of different colors so i can mix them

Thanks Jamie

Patrick1
10-17-2002, 03:00 AM
Jamie, this is for acrylics, but it might be of some use for you:

http://www.goldenpaints.com/mixgude2.htm

jackiesimmonds
10-23-2002, 09:10 AM
Jamie - no matter what you look at, there is nothing to beat experimenting yourself. Get out a large sheet of white paper, and start with one of your primary colours, say red. (Having said this, you should realise that there is more than one red out there. There is blue-red, and orange-red ... nothing is simple!!!) Make loads of different mixes, using the red you have chosen as the base, and adding tiny amounts of other colours gradually. Whatever colour you want. Write down next to each blob that you paint, what you mixed (more or less) to achieve it. You will end up with masses of mixes, and masses of colours, colours that perhaps wouldn't have been suggested to you in a book or chart. It really is the best way to learn. Having done one sheet with, say, Alizarin Crimson red, then try another sheet using Cadmium Red, and try the same mixes. You will get very different results. Keep on going, using all your colours - spend a whole afternoon experimenting, if you can. Keep your sheets to refer to. It's fun!

Jackie