PDA

View Full Version : Master Pastelist?

scall0way
08-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Hi all,
I've been busy lately with the Pastel Society of New Jersey, and in fact am about to become the 2nd VP of the PSNJ! :eek: The woman I'm replacing is moving up to become President.

Anyway, one of the things on her agenda is to come up with a PSNJ 'Master Pastelist' designation, a la the PSA. She has come up with a point system for determining the status which she felt would make it fair and unbiased, but other members of the PSNJ board were not quite sure, and wanted to investigate other ways of doing it.

So I thought I would start and ask here. Does anyone know exactly what system the PSA uses to designate someone a Master Pastelist? How about other local pastel societies? Do any of you have a Master Pastelist designation? And if so, what is your method for making that decision?

I'd certainly appreciate hearing your thoughts, as they want to discuss the issue at our upcoming board meeting this weekend! :D

westcoast_Mike
08-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Here's a thread (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596840&page=3&highlight=designation+master)from a while back that goes into it.

PeggyB
08-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Some societies give further recognition to their "Signature" members by declaring them not as "Master Pastelist", but rather by calling them "Distinguished Pastelist". I think the reason is to make certain there is no confusion with this honor coming from PSA rather than from their society.

When I was the exhibition chairperson for IAPS, I kept track of the numbering system that is used for the Master Circle Honorarium. I used an Excell spread sheet, and at first it was easy and didn't take much time. However, I held that job from 1997 through 2005, and in that time the list became very long. It still wasn't difficult, but it did take a lot of time!

Another way that isn't as complicated for some volunteer to keep track of is by the artist having won some number of awards in their own society sponsored juried competitions. Some groups make it any award, and others make it only the top three money awards within a designated period of time. It all depends on how difficult and prestigous you want this honor to be.

If your society is relatively small and you want to encourage members to enter juried competitions, you can use a less difficult system at first and then in later years as you grow make it more difficult. This is not uncommon, and indeed some of the largest societies have changed the requirements over the years as they grew.

Peggy

sketchZ1ol
08-18-2010, 03:00 PM
hello
i remember that thread - good discussion about PSA and the evolution of signature status

seems there is the thing about 'working your way up the ladder' as a consistant member of any group (dues), so

a point system to designate ' Master Pastellist ' is curious,
but not out of the question

the criteria would have to be spelled out in a way that anyone can understand

-example- if the title is given to someone (not a member) who wins three awards at one invitational ( it can happen if three entries are allowed ), with no other restrictions, might the Society consider that person a Master ?

- a Master of the Year, perhaps, with an Elected membership;
the artist can continue to participate at membership fees per show or competition, with a year's absence of M of the Y competition, or a no-fee one person show, possibly a separate space alongside another show...

all depends on what the Society considers as its core
and the clarity of the point system

:} Ed

scall0way
08-18-2010, 06:04 PM
a point system to designate ' Master Pastellist ' is curious, but not out of the question
As I understand her point system it was to be based on PSNJ shows only. We have 2 shows a year which are judged. The point system would be something like:
'x' points for Best in Show
'x' points for First Place
down to 'X' points for an Honorable Mention.

And once someone accumlates whatever number of points that would be decided on would become a PSNJ Master Pastelist - though I do like Peggy's idea of the Distinguished Pastelist designation (or some such) to differentiate from the PSA.

Deborah Secor
08-18-2010, 07:59 PM
http://www.pastelsnm.org/main_html/sig_membership.htm This page has all the info from PSNM.