PDA

View Full Version : Daily scumble- 15.10.02

Taminka
10-15-2002, 12:58 AM
Still haven't figured out the time diffs, but since it's 3 pm here in eastern Australia and I havent seen a scumble for today, I figured I'd start. So ... good afternoon all.

Decided to send you a pic of my new pond. My sister and I created it in an old leaking spa. Its on a stepped down bit of deck right outside the double glass doors of my studio. I can see it even when sitting at my desk, and hear the tinkle of running water. Soooo soothing! Just add my rainforest or whalesong CD
and I'm off in another world. :p

Hope you all have a great day,

Minky

Redsy333
10-15-2002, 01:11 AM
What a great idea! I love those lil ponds when done right! This is really cool Minky!!:D
Not doing anything at the moment , just finished up cleaning and now off to touch some on the WIP :D
Have a great day!!

Baby Blue Whale
10-15-2002, 01:22 AM
hehehehe, I choose the Whale Song CD!!!!

Warmest,
Laura

Slowdown
10-15-2002, 05:56 AM
How cool Taminka, great way to make use of that leaking spa.
Well guys I must say that I slept in today, and I mean slept in!
Its exactly midday, i really enjoy my sleep as you can tell, but I did have a late evening so thats my excuse.
I start back at work tonight too, yuk! I have had a whole month off work and I think its gonna be difficult to get back into the swing of it.
Its a great day today too, I think that I will go out and enjoy it, we are heading into winter here but it hasnt shown its ugly face yet, so thats a good sign (I hate winter).
Oh well, Ill finnish off my coffee and head of into the streets of malta, see you guys later,.........BYE

chookbrown
10-15-2002, 09:31 AM
Minky.. again, great use of a leaky spa!!! It actually looks better anyway!!!

Well today, just contemplating my next move on the humongous pastel piece.. The sun is out so might try to drive around and find some interesting pics to take too.. Hubby is off work today so might have to make him a list of jobs... hehehe that'll teach him to stay home...

Have a good day all...

Cheers,

Colleen:D :D :D

KarenU
10-15-2002, 11:17 AM
Hey Minky....thanks for starting the thread today! I actually saw this last night around 10pm my time as I was getting ready to go to bed....yeah aren't these time diffs just crazy. :D

Speaking of time...I'm always wondering what time it is in one place or another (especially when it comes to my fellow WCer's). So I found this great time server...here is the link. I have it in my favorites drop down and I can quickly go there and check the time:

http://www.worldtimeserver.com

Minky that is a fabulous pond you and your sister put together! I bet that it's extremely relaxing to be able to listen to the water throughout the day. We have a small fountain as well, but it's in our backyard which is on the other side of the house from my studio....all I get is traffic noise :(

Hope everyone has a fabulous day and I'll see you all in the threads! :D By the way....is it just me, or has Wet Canvas response time been slow the past couple of days?

Luvy
10-15-2002, 11:32 AM
Great Idea Wow I would never have thought of that. Can you still get in for a dip? *S*

I've been busy this morning doing the halloween project. I got it done and it's not too bad. Took me about 1 1/2 . Of course used pastels I'm hooked on them. Even bought me a work table for them. Now I have to get rid of the recliner that just collects junk that's in my office/studio. *S*

Karen I also tried your landscape last night before bed. Here's the result.
And my halloween project.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/285/completed/2529/halfrog.jpg It's a Hallobatfrogkin *S*

chookbrown
10-15-2002, 11:51 AM
Luvy, your pastel of Karen's sunset it lovely!!! I also did one but it isn't finished yet... changed the buildings into adobe dwellings etc.. Very nice...

Cheers,

Colleen :D :D

Redsy333
10-15-2002, 12:45 PM
WHAAAAAAAA HOOOOOO!!
I am STOKED now:D:D:D!! Just got 2 big boxes in mail!! I got some new books in, Photo-journals that I use for refrence Images! AMAZING PICTURES I might add:D
THEN in the other box.......YEP you guessed it.......NEW PASTELS!!!Doin the " HAPPY PASTEL DANCE"!!!!!!
Whats even better. ;) yes there is a better to this I know hard to believe! I got 60 new Rembrandts for 30.00$ buckeroos one box of skin tones, and one of landscape!!:D
AND I have more arriving today only they are UNisons a set of 72 for 164.00$ < All from EBAY the heaven of heavens for GREAT DEALS!!! Brand new I might add:D

LOOK OUT CHOOKY> Im tearing up the paints now!!!!
heheeeeeeeeeeeee
:clap: :clap: :clap:

chookbrown
10-15-2002, 12:50 PM
Ok Redsy, I'm officially not talking to you now..... ;)

I am sitting out the front waiting for the Fedex guy and then the place I bought all my new pastels calls to confirm I want to pay for onite shipping..... I told him what for..... :D They will be here by 10am tomorrow..... :(

Will be expecting LOTS of new works from you ..... oh, and by the way Redsy.... Very Nice New Tiny head.... hehehehe :evil:
seeya, now I've got pastel envy... ;)

Chooky:D :D

KarenU
10-15-2002, 01:14 PM
Redsy...you lucky girl you....I was doing the same dance recently as well....

I too got a set of 72 Unisons on eBay for the same price...mine was the general set....I absolutely love it!! A few of the pastels were broken when I received it, but all in all quite a lovely assortment of colors and they are a dream to work with. The broken ones were no big deal as I tend to break up my pastels anyway! :D

I also did a big order from Dakota, not too long ago. I decided that I wanted to try out several different brands of pastels. I got some Diane Townsend (both soft and terrages), Mount Vision, Schmincke, Polychromos (similar to NuPastel, but just a bit softer), a paper sampler pack with 15 different types of paper, board and cloth, a bag of pumice to start making my own grounds with, and a big ol roll of glassine which I use to store my pastels in and also to protect while shipping. I was like a kid in a candy shop when that box arrived!! It's really nice to get the smaller sets of pastels to try out and see how you like working with them. The shipment from Dakota was packaged really well and arrived in short order. I was happy with the transaction.

I'm slowly working my way through trying the different pastels and seeing which ones I may want to get more of (eventually.....the bank account only goes so far :( )

You are right tho....eBay has some great deals on pastels. Even the cheapest of the cheap mail order most times can't beat the prices on eBay.

By the way...have a great day playing with your new pastels!! :D

KarenU
10-15-2002, 01:18 PM
Luvy....that sunset pastel turned out really well!! I also posted that pic in the Cafe and many people asked to paint it. I ended up putting it the ref library for anyone what would like a higher res photo.

Also Luvy...I just LOVE Hallobatfrogkin! hehehe....what a name!

Shirl
10-15-2002, 02:03 PM
Yawnnnnnn, was so hiped from the game last night I didn't get much sleep. Giants goin to the World Series!!!!!! Geeze, I hope there won't be an earthquake this time..... Niners won too!!

Love the pond! I'm fortunate to have a small stream going by my house and I love the water sound. Dries up in late July and begins again as soon as the first rain.

Must go to the grocery store today tho, pastel pic on hold. I haven't a thing to eat around here:rolleyes:. I hate going to the grocery store.

Shirl

guilliame
10-15-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Taminka
Still haven't figured out the time diffs, but since it's 3 pm here in eastern Australia and I havent seen a scumble for today, I figured I'd start. So ... good afternoon all.

Decided to send you a pic of my new pond. My sister and I created it in an old leaking spa. Its on a stepped down bit of deck right outside the double glass doors of my studio. I can see it even when sitting at my desk, and hear the tinkle of running water. Soooo soothing! Just add my rainforest or whalesong CD
and I'm off in another world. :p

Hope you all have a great day,

Minky So excited after rainforests went to look at your leaky pond pic,couldn't find it :confused: :o ok its come up too impatient thats my problem and my computers tooo slow i'm off to have a look:D

guilliame
10-15-2002, 06:06 PM
Wow looks:cool: have you got any fish in there,just thought you might want to know we are into the wet and windy weather iguess it wont be long before our pond is frozen over brrr.
Hey Karen maybe wc is slow i thought it was my computer waited ages for this pic to come up:D

Taminka
10-15-2002, 07:31 PM
Karen, thanks for the time zone link - have added it to my favourites too so I can check up on you all.
Although it's Wednesday morning here, I see its only yesterday afternoon where you are :D - so I'll wait or you all to catch up!!!

Minky (from tomorrow) (!) :p

Katherine J
10-15-2002, 07:38 PM
Came home from this morning's life drawing session and decided to take advantage of our sensational weather by going for a walk in the woods - just me and my bear bells, 'cause my pal couldn't some. Then I come home to read the daily scumble and get quite jealous about you folks with the wonderful pastel purchases. My bank account is already suffering, so don't think I'll even be hitting e-bay. :(

gmc
10-15-2002, 07:45 PM
Chook,

You just gave me my laugh for today.

Did everyone read Chook's quote at the bottom of her signature??

lol:clap: :D :clap:

geri

melaleuca
10-15-2002, 08:15 PM
:D Just did. Thanks Geri!

Warning: DO NOT read Chook's signature while drinking hot coffee (or anything else).

Anyhow - didn't know if I ought to "scumble" on to the 16th - it's 10.20 am here. Or continue scumbling with those still in yesterday.

Katherine - I'm with you. Jealous. But we're having sensational weather as well. Spring. :cat:

Karen - What are terrages?

KarenU
10-15-2002, 08:49 PM
hehehe...I feel like I'm watching some time warped movie here....this time zone stuff is crazy. Didn't really think about the time zones when we started this thread...oh well...just makes it all the more interesting! :D

Katherine J...you can lust after my pastels...I'll lust after your life drawing class. I've yet to find a similar class here in my area that I can attend :( ....but believe me, I'm looking!

melaleuca...well I'm going to give you the description straight from the Dakota site...where I bought them:

Terrages is a combination of the words terra (for earth) and gesture. The size, 1.5" x 1.25" x .5", shape and consistency of the stick encourages bolder gestural strokes but also responds wonderfully to a light touch. The Terrages are made with traditional pigments and pumice. The colors are very clean, not grey and chalky. Dark tones are especially deep and clear. The pumice ‘opens’ the surface of the paper which aids pigment bonding while also adding tooth for subsequent layering. Traditional pastels layer very well over the Terrages. There are 190 colors derived from 42 base pigments. Each color is mixed in tints from dark to light.

They have a really unique shape and consistency...I've just started experimenting with them. I'll let you know, at some point in the future, what I think of them.

Minky (from tomorrow) :D.....you wouldn't believe how often I use that time server!

Redsy333
10-15-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Katherine J
Came home from this morning's life drawing session and decided to take advantage of our sensational weather by going for a walk in the woods - just me and my bear bells, 'cause my pal couldn't some. Then I come home to read the daily scumble and get quite jealous about you folks with the wonderful pastel purchases. My bank account is already suffering, so don't think I'll even be hitting e-bay. :(

PLEASE NOTE: :D Do not read threads when eyes are tired and warped from working at detail on art allllllll day!! LOL

Karen I read that and OMG hehe I thought what the hell ....??
I thought you wrote BEAR B***S instead of the vowel "E" I read it with an "A" !!! <------------" I'll take a vowel please!" :D
GEESHHHHHHHHHH I need to start washing my brain in holy water or sumin!!! LOL

Gimmie a few and I'll think of a reason or person to blame my ill gotten mind on!!!!:evil: :evil: :evil: hehe

Katherine J
10-15-2002, 09:51 PM
You're right, Karen. I'm lucky to have life drawing - can't imagine Tuesdays without it. And we may be getting a painting one organized - Tuesdays is in our local gallery and we can't used paint, just pastel, charcoal, conte. It'll be great to have both options.

chookbrown
10-15-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Redsy333

PLEASE NOTE: :D Do not read threads when eyes are tired and warped from working at detail on art allllllll day!! LOL

Karen I read that and OMG hehe I thought what the hell ....??
I thought you wrote BEAR B***S instead of the vowel "E" I read it with an "A" !!! <------------" I'll take a vowel please!" :D
GEESHHHHHHHHHH I need to start washing my brain in holy water or sumin!!! LOL

Gimmie a few and I'll think of a reason or person to blame my ill gotten mind on!!!!:evil: :evil: :evil: hehe

mwahahahahaha .... you bad girl....

Chooky:D

chookbrown
10-15-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by melaleuca
Anyhow - didn't know if I ought to "scumble" on to the 16th - it's 10.20 am here. Or continue scumbling with those still in yesterday.

Hehe Mel, I am still looking for the day I lost last time I came home to Aus... Left on Tuesday arrived on Thursday... dammit!!

Very important to remember my time + 12 hours + 3 hours = time at parents' house...(when it's not daylight savings time). Have called them at 1 or 2 in the morning before due to bad calculations on my part.... And I use that as an excuse when I call my brother and his wife purposely at 5 or 6am on Christmas morning... that way I am sure to wake his kids up and then he can't go back to sleep.... hehehehe :evil: :evil: love being the evil sister.... :angel:

Chooky:D:D:D