PDA

View Full Version : Marine Park Point - (x-post Plein Air)

JTMB
08-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Hi everyone,

This is a 9 x 12" on Wallis paper using a variety of soft pastels. It was done this morning in about 2 1/2 hours at the weekly plein air paintout of a local arts group.

C&C always welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2010/165640-103-0002-PAN-KirklandMarinePark-Aug17,10-WS.jpg

Greenbrier33
08-17-2010, 08:53 PM
John, impressive that you can finish in a couple hours. I really like the sky pink contrast against the aqua/green/blue hill in the distance.

Dave

JTMB
08-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks, David!

JTMB
08-17-2010, 09:51 PM
I should point out that I know the gazebo needs a column as it looks like the roof is floating right now. (Or as Rich - Proudhawk - said in the plein air forum, it looks like a UFO - :lol: .) Actually, I kind of like it looking that way. Maybe I should call the piece 'Marine Park Alien Visitation Vehicle'. I planned on putting a column in when I got home, but forgot and had it photographed and prepped so decided to just leave it that way in the post.

Rudy555
08-18-2010, 05:04 AM
JTMB,
The sky is great. The water needs a bit of work and tonal values. It would not take you any more that 15-30 minutes.
Pastels are great for quick painting. If you overdo them the saturated paper will tell you loud and clearly that it cannot take any more pastel.
Rudy

Donna T
08-18-2010, 10:24 AM
I love the soft pink morning sky in this one, John, and the way you hazed out the distant hill is also very nice! I guess you could add a column to your gazebo/UFO :rolleyes: or you could add in a tree or shrub on the right to keep us from wandering off that side of the painting. I know this is probably a very familiar sight in your area but I would have been tempted to leave the building out altogether since so little of it shows and it's at the edge of your composition. An option for another time would be to leave the building out, move in another tree on the edge and give us a peek through to the hill. I hope I don't sound critical; I think the hardest thing is to identify and play up the focal point while trying to minimize the other things that compete - in a limited amount of time, of course. This is a very nice painting John and it sure has the fresh feel of a plein air!

JTMB
08-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the feedback Donna and Rudy!