PDA

View Full Version : What's in the Salmagundi Club Ludwig Set + A Comparison Chart

Anne-Marie
08-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Hi everyone--

I was drooling over the Salmagundi set on Ludwig's site but wasn't sure what was exactly in it, so called over and they sent me the list.

I have pretty much decided that Ludwigs are the way I want to go from here on out, and so am working on a spreadsheet of what's-in-what-sets. I know that Terry lists info on the "open stock" page, but I'm a table kind of girl, so I've put a few of the sets in an Excel spreadsheet for comparison. So far I have The Plein Air set, the Maggie Price set, the Salmagundi set, and the Sunset set entered. As I enter others, I'll upload the spreadsheet here, if anyone is interested. I like to be able to look and see what's in what, and if there are any duplicates between sets.

PS Since there are 5 duplicates between the Maggie Price set and the Salmagundi City set, I asked if they would consider switching out those five pastels for anything that isn't already in the Salmagundi or Price sets and their response was: Sure! You choose!

Yay!:clap:

Potoma
08-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Substitutions allowed! They are great!

I called there a year ago about an exchange and talked for a good while. The sales person was very nice. I always ask the person's name, so I did at the end of the conversation. When he said his name was Terry, I almost fell over. I didn't expect to call to change an order and get the owner!

Studio-1-F
08-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Anne-Marie, thanks for doing this! :heart: :heart: :heart: It's VERY useful. (I'll be watching as you add more sets to the spreadsheet. Good stuff!)

Jan

water girl
08-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Thank you for sharing this, it's a great idea. I have always had the best service from TL. They are quick and most accomodating. My favorite set is still the Intense Darks II.

sketchZ1ol
08-17-2010, 02:50 PM
hello
cool !
that name is a well established art club in NYC, so i'll do some homework for curiosity sake
look forward to seeing how you work that selection
:} Ed

robertsloan2
08-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Thank you! That's so cool that the Salmagundi Set fits so neatly around the Maggie Price set. Also that Terry will do substitutions for the duplicates - that could make an incredible 120 color collection with five spots open for personal favorites. I'll have to keep that in mind in future since I definitely want the Maggie Price set and may want the Salmagundi as well.

When you get it, could you please do swatch tests of both sets? I'm curious as to what some of the colors actually look like and what the Salmagundi Set range looks like - it's hard to visualize from the letters and numbers.

Anne-Marie
08-17-2010, 07:12 PM
I know, Potoma! I got to talk to Terry, too! (He forgot his WC password, he said, and so hasn't been around lately!)

Glad you find it useful, Jan!

Watergirl: Interesting about Intense Dark II! I have only gotten around to Intense Darks I! It does seem people prefer II. Both of the dark sets look good to me.

Ed: Yes, it will be fun to see the colors and let the inspiration flow! I didn't realize it was the name of a group from New York, but this makes sense, looking at the colors. Wrote in my journal this morning: the colors remind me of New York. :) I like the tinted pastel colors against the brights--also has a very 60's vibe to me.

Robert: Absolutely! I always do a full color chart--it's part of my "bonding process" with any product I buy that has color. I also have made color charts for the 120 Faber Castell set I have and the Reds & Pinks, Thunderstorm Greys, and the Landscape greens I got from Mount Visions. I don't know if I have permission to add swatches to the thread in the Learning Center about sets? Or should I just add the pictures here?

Anne-Marie
08-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Here are the charts!

The first one is the Mount Vision Reds & Pinks, the Landscape Greens, and the Thunderstorm Greys on the top, and the Terry Ludwig Maggie Price set on the bottom. Because these represent the great majority of the soft pastels I own, I put them all on the same chart so I could see them all at a glance. It is on Strathmore "Charcoal" paper.

The next picture is the vellum overlay I make that has all the color names.

Anne-Marie
08-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Here is just the Red and Pink set from Mount Vision.

Anne-Marie
08-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Here is the Landscape Greens from Mount Vision.

Anne-Marie
08-17-2010, 07:48 PM
The Thunderstorm Greys from Mount Vision.

Anne-Marie
08-17-2010, 07:50 PM
The Maggie Price set from Ludwig.

Anne-Marie
08-17-2010, 07:53 PM
The Faber Castell set. Note: since I have the exact same set in Watercolor pencils, I haven't gotten around to doing an overlay for it:o because with my Watercolor charts I write the name right underneath the swatch (I don't do this with pastels because it is too messy). So I just used the same order for the pastels as I did with the watercolor pencils and if I need to see what color something is, I just look on my watercolor chart. :)

This is on Wallis paper, and I could really see and feel the difference when I used it! I don't have the bottom taped down so it isn't plumb. Oops!

Lynndidj
08-18-2010, 12:06 AM
Wow Ann-Marie!! Thanks for all this great information!! You are incredibly organized. Do you look at the charts to find your colors or do you just choose the pastel from the box? I find that I need to go to the pastel box, personally. But trying out each pastel to see the color in an organized way is a really great idea ... I may need to do that. I have a color mixing book that I did in watercolor - spent about 25 hours in a workshop mixing paint - and I love that book - use it all the time when painting in watercolor. Pastel is just so different.

Lynn

Anne-Marie
08-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Hi Lynn! What I tend to do is to have my boxes of pastels open (at this point, I still have them in the manufacturer's boxes; at some point I would like to get great studio boxes, but I have so relatively few pastels that this works for now) My first impulse is to look in the box. However, I find that pastels look completely different (to me) in the box and on paper. Especially the Faber-Castells, which get really yucked up and even when I wipe them off, their real color is obscured with the markings of other pastels. So then I look up at my chart and I can see basically all the colors I have at a glance and it helps me decide. I am new to all this, so I'm not used to the products yet. It was different with my Copic markers and my watercolors--those I am completely familiar with. But these pastels I've only had since the end of June, and I've only done four painting with them so far. So it's helpful to have a reference.

25 hours mixing paint! Wow! What book was that? It sounds like fun! (I also love making watercolor grids.:) What is fun about grids and charts of all kinds is that it is a very low-stress, low-expectation, low-intimidation way to play with your materials. I find that once I do a chart, I am no longer intimidated and start to begin to realize some of the potential in the supplies--and then I'm off and running! :)

Deborah Secor
08-18-2010, 01:23 AM
Wow--there is a ton of info here, Anne-Marie! I wish your thread had a different title so that when people are looking for colors listed in sets they would know to look here... Consider asking the Mods to change it--maybe to something like Ludwig Color Charts and Colors, or some such thing. I'm going to rate this five stars, too, so that it will go into our library!

winecountry
08-18-2010, 02:10 AM
oh the blessing of an orderly mind and practice, wish I had one...:-) fortunately you have so graciously shared yours with us...thanks!

Anne-Marie
08-18-2010, 02:22 AM
lol Colleen. And Deborah: Thank you for the stars! That is a super compliment, especially as I have a huge amount of respect and admiration for you! :heart: The mods have my permission to rename it whatever they like. I do know there is a "sets" thread--I think in the learning center? Sooz I think started it? And that is where it seems the pictures should go. I think I tried in the past to post there, but I didn't have permission.

The mods have complete and total permission to use any information, thread, post, or picture in any way they deem helpful to others here, whether that means moving the pix to another thread, renaming this one, or whatever else might be helpful.

Thanks again for the kind words!

robertsloan2
08-18-2010, 04:25 AM
Wow! Thank you for the charts! They're beautiful - and I can see the gaps in the Ludwig set from here. No lemon yellows or green cast yellows, nor bright greens, that's something I'd have to fill out. This is making me lean more toward the Unisons but I still may get that set sometime.

JPQ
08-18-2010, 08:25 AM
I also thank these charts. Faber-castell chart even tells thing what i dont know with them is possible make such a strong area of colour. and what faber-castell product this is exactly ?

Deborah Secor
08-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Anne-Marie, it's my understanding that the mods will only respond if you contact and request a title change... just push the little exclamation mark in the triangle at the upper right-hand corner of the box and fill in the blank. That goes directly to the moderators from our forum, Deirdre and Merethe. Or you can PM one of them to ask.

And if the rest of you think this is a good thread, rate it! That makes it simpler for the mods to find and store it in the library later on. If enough of you give it five stars it shows on the thread listing.

And you don't need to add this to the other thread on sets, I don't think. It's a good stand-alone thread, IMHO. :thumbsup:

Anne-Marie
08-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Thanks Deborah and Robert!

JPQ: The pastels are Faber Castell Polychromos--the look similar to Creatacolor or NuPastels. They are a fantastic deal, in my opinion: about $175US for 120 pastels. More expensive than NuPastels, but I have tried NuPastels in the past --several times, in fact--and just have never liked them. They seem "chalky" to me. The Faber Castells have very saturated color. Because I have so few pastels, I really depend on them to fill out my palette. I have also discovered that I like using them instead of a tortillon to blend with. Hope this helps!

robertsloan2
08-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Faber Castell Polychromos are also more lightfast - the entire range has acceptable lightfastness, unlike the NuPastels. I wound up giving my NuPastels to a student and bought the Richeson hard sticks, but the range of the Polychromos is better balanced.

Though if I organize the Richeson ones better in the box it may be easier to see that, there's a project for me one of these days. I'm not buying another large pastels set anytime soon so anything that'll make the Richeson set easier to use is a good thing.

Anne-Marie
08-19-2010, 02:37 AM
I was very interested in the Richeson set, but Dakota did not include them in their "sampler" set, and I was wary of getting them without being able to try them at all.

The Faber-Castells surprised me. I have their 60-set pen set and don't like it at all. I also have their watercolor pencils and find that the colors--though they have the same name and number as the pastels--are repetitive in the watercolor set (not so in the pastel set!) I was very surprised that I liked them. When I got my sampler, I deliberately did not look at the wrapping or markings on those pastels that came with them. I was familiar with Unisons, so I knew right away which one the Unison was, but I was not familiar with any of the others, having only used Senneliers and Rembrants and NuPastels a couple times. I didn't want to bias my take on the pastels as I tried them--because I knew that Schminke was considered a luxury brand and that people tend not to like Rembrandt, etc. And so I was very surprised, when I tried the hard pastels, that the one I liked by far was Faber-Castell. It was definitely a "go figure" moment. ;)

JPQ
08-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Faber-castell ansver tells lot but i dont yet know how well tehey mix in their own category.
ps. i think i can get easily at least 12 and 24colour sets.

Potoma
08-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Faber-Castells are cheap enough, it's easy to get the full set. I especially like the light blue. Many of the rest are so incredibly saturated that I mentally have to put reins on when using them. They can overpower easily.

Allowing them to compliment the power of each other, here's a quick diptych I did pretty much using them on their own, pictured before I cut it. I think they're each 5x7. I used the UArt paper to provide color, too, and there is a watercolor underpainting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2010/59298-Meadow_Left,_Meadow_Right.JPG

(In this economy, I've had a good number of small paintings sell, so that's been my motivation. I also really wanted to use the Faber-Castells to their fullest.)

JPQ
08-19-2010, 10:24 AM
i mean easy in shops what i know in finland and i current stuff what they sell.
but i know few places what i think can get bigger boxes. btw looks suitable stuff for me. and i like their coloured pencils (watersolubles more) i think maybe best greens at least...

Anne-Marie
08-19-2010, 11:12 AM
WOW Potoma, that is stunning. Love it. Love the super saturated colors as a treatment for an abstracted landscape. Love the texture! The whole affect is rich and wonderful.

(I can see the light blue you refer to, too.) :)

I agree, the light blue is one that I use quite a bit I've noticed. It is similar to the lightest blue in the Maggie Price set. A good water color. There's already a couple of pieces that I know I'm going to have to replace in September or October. It's nice to actually be using supplies. :) Hate it when I get something and, despite the best intentions, it remains on the shelf, unused . . .

One of the things i really love about the F-Cs is that super-saturated color. Those are the colors I tend to use. The range is enough to get me by while I slowly build my palette with softer brands.

I agree, JPQ, out of all my pastels, I like the F-C greens the best so far. They are by far the brightest and most suitable to what I do.

saramathewson
08-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I think the FC polychromos have a creamy texture as opposed to a chalky one like nupastel or even creatacolor. Even though they are a hard (or semi-hard) pastel, they go on really smooth. I don't have a set of them just a few hand picked ones. I love one of the dark greens and the darker purple is beautiful as well. nd they are great for blending or "feathering" as Albert Handell says:) I hope I spelled his name right! I was all set to buy the 120 set but opted for the Dianne Townsend thinline plein aire set instead. I really wanted to try out her pastels and this is one way to do it. I already know i will like them. And they are are supposed to be used more as a drawing tool if I understand right. Of course you can use them anyway you want too. They are similar to the terrage's that she makes in formula just thinner and easier to make lines with. i thought between those and the 75 1/2 stick set from Schmincke that that would be a great plein aire kit right there. We shall see and sometime in the future i may end up buying the full set of polychormos. The way i paint i find that I don't use the ones I have very much anyway. I tend to use softer ones right away and try hard to use a softer touch.

Sara

JPQ
08-19-2010, 12:45 PM
at least coloured pencils they look to my taste most natural.

robertsloan2
08-19-2010, 01:01 PM
I have the colored pencils in the Faber-Castell Polychromos range and have been meaning to get the full set of the pastels for some time now. I love strong, saturated colors and I'm used to knocking them back with complements when I want to mute them. What's more frustrating to me is not having a full spectrum of spectrum brights. There's always something I need them for.

Anne-Marie
08-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Robert, I really think you would like them. While there are neutrals included, I've found even their neutrals are spot-on and useful--a small collection of cool greys, a small collection of warm greys, a nice sienna, good trio of ochres, a couple nice dark browns, and even a trio of metallics thrown in.

PS I GOT MY SALMAGUNDI SET TODAY!!!! WOO HOO! Just came back from working out and so I forced myself to shower and do a load of clothes, but I'm looking forward to opening the box! Oh, it's better than chocolates! And how many things in life are better than that? :lol: