PDA

View Full Version : D.A.D. guestion #4

dots
10-14-2002, 02:52 PM
Is it being done? taking digital images,shooting on large format analog say 4 by5" then going digital again .This would be like music recording that gets recorded on say pro tools then batted to analog to warm it up ,then back to digital to press. Would this be the way they make large scale digital prints to deal with picsels Somewhere i have a 4by 5 speed grafix i would like to put to use sorry about the lame guestion ,but a friend of mine spends like 200to 300$ to get her stuff blown up to 30 by 36" .I figure if we spend about 50,000 $ we could save money duh!

Greg C.
10-14-2002, 03:14 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean? If I want to create a digital image that's 30"x36", then I just create it at that size in Photoshop...to "warm it up", I get the image output as a Giclee print on Arches watercolor paper.

As far as turning small images into larger ones...there is no magic answer. If you create an 8"x10" image, not amount of digital or analog "trickery" is going to create more image detail then is already there. For really big stuff, (I'm talking 4'x8' up to billboard sizes) there is no need for super high resolution because of viewing distance. Billboards for example, can be made with relatively small files because they are printed at a very low resolution (15-30dpi? ..can't remember exactly). Up close it looks terrible but from a distance those dots all blend into a photo-realistic image.

I hope I answered some of your questions...:(

dots
10-14-2002, 05:32 PM
thank you,i got it,forgot about sample rates in audio,so this makes it understandable.....

dk_art
10-14-2002, 09:22 PM
"As far as turning small images into larger ones...there is no magic answer."

I have seen software which appears to help in this area. It is true that it can't create data that wasn't there to begin with, but it's results appear to be very good if you need to expand an image. It's called S-Spline

http://www.shortcut.nl/products.php?parentid=3&count=7

dots
10-15-2002, 12:55 AM
Again thank you so much ,this is exellent