PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Scumble - Oct. 14, 2002

KarenU
10-14-2002, 11:31 AM
So this is our first "Daily Scumble"....a thread to just stop in and say hello for the day and chit chat about whatever is on your mind.

Anyone can feel free to start this thread....first one in for the day...whatever your time zone may be....is welcome to start it up. Just name the thread:

The Daily Scumble - insert current date here

Well, let's see....It's 8:30 a.m. here in beautiful and sunny California and I've already been online for an hour and a half trying to catch up on threads!

Everyone...please be sure to check out this thread:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65632

Hope you all have a great day!

chookbrown
10-14-2002, 11:58 AM
Hey Karen!! and fellow pastel forum peeps... great idea to build our community this way.. as for who is up early that would be Redsy as the woman never sleeps and she is on Eastern time!!!! ;)

Well today I am spreading my art stuff even further into the house. Have been working in a small section of our shared office with DH and was starting to trip over things - easels, portfolios, shipping boxes etc... just on the other side of the wall was an unused bar area so now it's cleaned out and had storage shelves added and I am slowly moving "stuff" in there. This should free up the work area and allow good "flow" of ideas and energy.

I have also decided to start work on a huge pastel piece for my living room as I have this big bare wall. I have a gessoed canvas panel 4 foot x 3 foot and I have sprayed the front and back with fixative so lets see how it holds.... now for a subject???

And while I'm at it I should send a cheerio to our mate Crumbedbrains (aka Tom) who is freezing his bits off in Sweden at the moment and sends his regards to the Pastel Forum!!!

Crumby, this is the pastel forum waving back at you!! :clap::clap::clap:

Hope you are all having a wonderful day!!

Cheers,

Colleen :D :D :D

KarenU
10-14-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by chookbrown
[B].....I have also decided to start work on a huge pastel piece for my living room as I have this big bare wall. I have a gessoed canvas panel 4 foot x 3 foot and I have sprayed the front and back with fixative so lets see how it holds.... now for a subject???.....

Ahhhh Colleen....you are going to do a WIP for us right!!! *pretty please!!* I've never tried to do pastel on anything other than paper and would love to watch your progress.

CBruce
10-14-2002, 03:30 PM
Hello from Dallas, its 3pm and I hang out here when I can to pick up some of the wonderful tips you have. I would love to work on a larger piece but I'm daunted by the fact that they would have to be placed under acrylic (plexiglass). I hope that you will post your WIP. Maybe my fears are unfounded about working on large boards.

I just wanted to thank the participants in this forum for the help you've given me. I am fairly new to pastels (2yrs) and was just accepted to my first National juried exhibit. It is hard to stick your neck out but what the heck. Posting in this forum allows me an opportunity to grow through your advice. It is very much appreciated.:clap: :clap: :clap: Carmen

chookbrown
10-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by CBruce
I would love to work on a larger piece but I'm daunted by the fact that they would have to be placed under acrylic (plexiglass). I hope that you will post your WIP. Maybe my fears are unfounded about working on large boards.

Hi Carmen!! Congratulations on your acceptance to the show. Carmen, I have been doing pastels for mmmmm, let me see, not even two months yet!!! But I am a crazy fool to think I could attempt something that big and the more experienced pastellists here are probably smirking behind their hands at the naievety of it all but what they heck.... I've always dived in at the deep end, it's just my nature. Well I will start a new thread when I work out just what I'm putting on that sucker....Since it's so big and in my living room, I had better not mind looking at it... an awfully brave statement considering I haven't even started yet and it might not even work... :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Colleen :D:D:D

Anna Marie
10-14-2002, 04:08 PM
Well its 9.15pm here in the UK and I dont normally sign on before about now so I dont hold out much hope for starting anything but I'll tag along anyway!

I am supposed to be using my conservatory as a workshop but oops I have moved half my stuff out there but the other half is still in my dining room and the half that isnt in the Dining Room is in my lounge (sketch pads pencils and books!!).

TIP of the DAY.

'I never have enough time to read art books so now whenever I have an appointment at the Doctors Dentists Optometrists etc I take a book with me it makes the waiting room so much more pleasant and I look forward to them being late'!

KarenU
10-14-2002, 04:25 PM
Hey Carmen....congratulations on the juried show!!! That's gotta be really exciting! I too just started with pastels a few months ago and I'm totally hooked. I, on the other hand, just love to paint large...the bigger the better. I have these enourmous drawing pads that I'm constantly juggling around my studio.

I recently completed a piece...18 x 24 and had a mat cut for it bringing the final dimensions to 24 x 30. I purchased a black wood ready-made frame (with glass) and the whole thing cost me appx. $60 to mat and frame. I put it all together myself and I'm pretty happy with it.

Give big a try...you may just get hooked like I have! :evil: Good luck with the show Carmen, and let us know how it goes.

On another topic...if anyone needs a great sunset ref photo for a painting....take a gander at this one. This was out my window last evening. Anyone can feel free to use the photo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2002/SunsetToday.jpg

Slowdown
10-14-2002, 05:59 PM
Good evening all.
Great shot Karen, I like it. Sunsets always make great pics.
Well I spent most of today lookin and thinking about what to do about that "@[email protected]##@$" boat painting. Then decided not to touch it, its turned back to front in the spare bedroom, I dont want to look at it. Not long ago I decided to take out the pastels and just fool around with them, nothin major just making marks etc, trying to inspire myself into painting something that looked pastelish. Anyway, I came up with what I would call a mess but my g/f insisted that it was great and insisted that I post it here, I didnt and still dont think that its worth starting a thread about it, but she still insists that its good. Anyway here goes, I am posting this "thing", knowing in myself that its not something that I would normally post. (she also made me sign it!, she is a very persistent woman).

gmc
10-14-2002, 06:44 PM
Hi all,

Nice idea this Daily Scrumble.

I went to an outdoor art show today. I didn't enter, but, about fifty artists did.

Would you believe not one pastellist in the entire group. Some oil painters, some photography and mostly watercolor. Gads of watercolor artists.

I came home wondering why.

Does anyone know why no one would bother to show their work at an outdoor show?

The show is a rather big one in this area with great advertising etc. Very popular and always on Columbus Day. The artists show in the gardens of a beautiful Mansion. Just wondering....

geri

Shirl
10-14-2002, 06:49 PM
There are SO MANY things I should be doing (painting the living room, trip to the grocery store, groom the dog), but I'm doing a pastel of two of my cockers. Then there's the game tonight, (KAREN in the Bay Area!), where the Giants are gonna whup up on the Cardinals--right!!:D. Am dying with those games. Forty-Niners are on at the same time.

Beautiful sunset.

Keep 'em comin pastelists!!

Shirl

bnoonan
10-14-2002, 07:59 PM
A little late is better than never....

I was attending a workshop today and will continue all week. It's an intensive class on pastel/oil portraits and today was the demo in drawing and oil painting. Loving every minute of it but find the demo frustrating when all you want to do is just jump into the color.

I'll try to post WIP.

The whole idea of the scumble sounds great. Oh - Go Giants!

B

KarenU
10-14-2002, 08:00 PM
Hey geri....what a fabulous opportunity for you, next year, to be the solo pastellist in the show...I'd go for it if I was you!! :D

Shirl....boy that game is gonna be something isn't it!!! I say, do the pastels and watch the games (channel surf :evil: ), there is always time for all the other stuff in life. We have to focus on the important stuff!! :D

KarenU
10-14-2002, 08:03 PM
Hey bnoonan....I am seriously jealous of you up there in San Francisco with all those wonderful workshops and classes to partake of. I just cringe at the thought of sitting in traffic trying to get up there!! :(

Please do post what you've been working on in your workshop, I'd love to see it.

Luvy
10-14-2002, 10:55 PM
Well today was very hectic for me. I got a new puter and spent most the day trying to import my bookwork into my new computer with a new upgrade for Quick Books UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Anyway Tonight I figured since I have nothing better to do, I'd look through my pastel books and see what I could try different. So here's the result.. Not real happy with it. But not bad for something totally different than I usually do. It's not exactly like the book. I messed up on the sketch I see after I started the pastels. LOL

12 x 16 on beige paper

Redsy333
10-14-2002, 11:11 PM
:D Okay I need to spin this chair around more often!!!! Didnt even see this here today!

Hey Chooky:D I cant help that I only need 4 hrs to run on:p!! Who wants to sleep???hehe I'll have you on my schedule yet:D

Workshops???? The biggest and or closest thing to a workshop around here is the Barn Painting guy doing the Ohio Bicentinnel Logos!! :rolleyes:

Been cleaning today, and working on WIP, commissions, trying out new surfaces to paint on:D LOL But mine is only 3x4 inches MAX!! HEHE <Im not as brave as them wild Aussie girls!!

Katherine J
10-14-2002, 11:28 PM
Well, Karen and Shirl, I have just watched your Giants win and that must be you I hear screaming up here. It's 8:30 pm and I just came from the TV to Wet Canvas to see what's up. Good idea, this. I'm working on pears and having a very hard time getting the darks to not look muddy.

BTW I'm going to root for the Giants in the WS. Can you believe I come from the country of hockey and the only sport I love to watch is the WS of baseball?

CarlyHardy
10-14-2002, 11:34 PM
What a great idea! for keeping in touch!! I love reading about everyone's day!

I painted plein air today...but in oils, not pastels. I stopped at a local church's pumpkin patch and ask if I could paint. They loved the idea...thought I might draw in some visitors...lol! But it was fun. All the visitors came over to see what I was painting...and a lot of truckers honked! :)

I posted the painting in plein air if you're interested. I did go out to the park with my pastels later this afternoon...but it began to rain just as soon as I got my easel set up :(

Well, its almost tomorrow here so I better get off the computer...or I'll have to start tomorrow's scumble now! LOL
carly

KarenU
10-15-2002, 01:04 AM
Well I had a pretty productive day....NOT! Packaged something up that I needed to get sent out at the post office. Drove all the way over there, only to realize that, darn...it's a holiday! Oh well...there's always tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Worked on another figurative drawing today.....here and there stopping in my studio to do bits and pieces. The last piece was to take it off the board and lay it gently in the trash can! :eek: It was one of those pieces that went down a bad path....then I started messing with it (as I usually do when I screw something up). Well by the end of the day, I can't tell you how many layers of pastel, fixative, acrylic medium...you name it, wound up on that paper! :D At least I had fun experimenting and learning new things about how not to combine certain ingredients!

Well it's off to bed for me....night everyone....will be anxious to see who gets to start up our Scumble thread tomorrow! :D

Baby Blue Whale
10-15-2002, 01:39 AM
This IS a great idea . . . the daily scumble--GREAT name. I, too enjoy hearing about everyone's day too. Kinda neat hearing about what happens half way across the world. Karen, that's a GORGEOUS sunset picture. Thanks for posting it.

My day started off interesting. My husband woke me up and announced that he was going hunting. *SIGH* the WHOLE house to myself. So, I yawned, turned over and went right back to sleep. AHHHHHHHH. Took my puppies for a walk, did my physical therapy exercises and then decided to be slightly productive and do some laundry. Unfortunately, after that I started to experience the ol' pinched spinal nerve (which is why I go to physical therapy) so I had to rest but DARN IT if Monday Night Football was on. hehehehehehe, I LOVE American football. Glad to see that the San Francisco teams are doing well. Congrats to all you Giants fans out there. Finally, to end this absolutely gorgeous day (74 and not a cloud in the sky) I gave myself a facial and took advantage of Dakota's sale.

Hmmmmm, maybe my husband should go out more often! :D

Until tomorrow,
Laura